Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76

Thread: Rory Gallagher

  1. #26
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,905
    Dan ar Braz was a big fan of Rory, they played together a couple of times


  2. #27
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The one time I saw him live, in 1976, it was indeed a big stadium show (sharing a bill with Jethro Tull, Robin Trower, and Starcastle). He was the antithesis of '70s glamour, up there in front of 30,000 people, dressed in jeans and a lumberjack shirt, rocking out on that famously beat-up Strat.
    One of my classmates (then) saw him in Copenhagen in a big hall (probably K.B. Hallen 1969) and he only had his vox ac30 as amp to fill the room. Its the place where Deep Purple played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDWQkRW2r2E

  3. #28
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,905
    The rise and acrimonious fall of Rory Gallagher's Taste...

    https://www.loudersound.com/features...te-sensation-1

    "Those who love Taste’s music must wonder why this band, who shone so brightly and so briefly, appear to have been banished. Gallagher refused to include Taste material in his live sets for the rest of his life: that he felt such enmity towards what he experienced in the band that took him from the showband circuit to international stardom suggests severe trauma. "

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    142
    Rory was one of those artists that if you didn't have an album or hadn't been to a gig or didn't have a brother or a mate who knew about him, then you just didn't know about him or hear about him. He was almost never played on radio and almost never on TV or in music mags. I first heard of him in the late 80s when I guy I worked with, who was well into hard rock, told me about him. First found a second-hand album in the late 90s. An amazing guitarist, fantastic hard rocking blues.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    One of my classmates (then) saw him in Copenhagen in a big hall (probably K.B. Hallen 1969) and he only had his vox ac30 as amp to fill the room.
    I believe he usually used a combination of a Fender Bassman an AC-30 together. But that's all the amp you really need. After the late 60's, once everyone started to figure out what the PA needed to be and how to do things like mic amps through the PA and such, big 100 watt stacks became more of a macho posture thing.

    Look at Dr. Brian May: even when Queen were playing to crowds of 100,000 or more, he still just had his AC-30's onstage. Likewise for The Edge.
    Rory was one of those artists that if you didn't have an album or hadn't been to a gig or didn't have a brother or a mate who knew about him, then you just didn't know about him or hear about him. He was almost never played on radio and almost never on TV or in music mags. I first heard of him in the late 80s when I guy I worked with, who was well into hard rock, told me about him. First found a second-hand album in the late 90s. An amazing guitarist, fantastic hard rocking blues.
    Well, he was occasionally featured in music magazines. Maybe not Rolling Stone or Melody Maker, but I know Guitar Player and Guitar World ran articles on him occasionally. I think that's actually how I first heard of him, either that or seeing the entry on him in the Harmony Encyclopedia of Rock Music (or whatever that damn book was called).

    It was something like 15 years before I actually heard any of his music, because I don't remember seeing his records much in the used record bins. It wasn't until his catalog got reissued in the late 90's, after he'd already gone home, that I finally got hear what I had been missing.

    As for TV, he appeared on Rockpalast a handful of times, so the German audience got to see him somewhat regularly during this peak. I don't if he ever did The Old Grey Whistle Test or Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, or anything like that. But as has been mentioned earlier, I just think he wasn't as much into the "business" side of doing things, i.e he wasn't into being "big" beyond whatever it took to make a living as a musician.

    BTW, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, the Irish Tour movie is also worth seeing. It was made at the same tie as the album of that title, there's lots of interesting behind the scenes bits in that film that's worth seeing. There's a great bit where Rory bumps into a fan outside a pub and signs the cast on the guy's arm, I think it is.

  6. #31
    Member Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    994
    You need 'Calling Card' and 'Top Priority'. Great albums! Those are later 70's and I believe Roger Glover produced the former. A great live representation of his earlier stuff is 'Irish Tour '74'. The guy was an incredible guitarist...one of my favorites.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  7. #32
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,905
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I believe he usually used a combination of a Fender Bassman an AC-30 together. But that's all the amp you really need. After the late 60's, once everyone started to figure out what the PA needed to be and how to do things like mic amps through the PA and such, big 100 watt stacks became more of a macho posture thing.
    PA wasn't a big thing in 69, my classmate complained that it wasn't loud enough for that stage/hall made in 1938 for sports, 2000 approx. seats.

    Reminds me of Robert Fripp at a concert in Arlington USA who said something like "I am hearing a request from a gentleman over here to play louder, I would suggest the gentleman to listen more attentively."

  8. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bay City, MI
    Posts
    5
    I would recommend picking up the five album "Original Album Classics" package which include:

    1. Deuce
    2. Calling Card
    3. Top Priority
    4. Jinx
    5. Fresh Evidence

    My personal favorite though is Against The Grain (there is a remaster with bonus tracks). Also, others have pointed out the live, Irish Tour.

    Rick

  9. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,368
    ^Be aware that the 90s CD reissues were remixed, and were apparently sometimes radically different. Sony/BMG eventually took those off the market and replaced them with the original mixes; these will be the versions that came out in this current decade. I believe his catalogue was a good seller for the label...I remember an interview with his brother/manager Donal where he said they came to him with the idea of putting out the originals again.

    He was on the Old Grey Whistle Test a few times, and is on the first DVD of the show (a 2-disc set).

  10. #35
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    690
    One thing I loved about him was he didn't use any effect of any kind, plugging straight into the amp. Not only did he not use effects, he was opposed to their use. He felt it was a cop out to be soloing along, getting bored, then stepping on a Wah pedal and going "Wah-Wah-Wah-Wah........"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Taste - On The Boards

    Imo he did'nt get better than this album. Booze and pills got him.
    While I wouldn't disagree with this, I think it could create the false impression to any newcomer that Rory was already in decline in the 70's. Which is not the case. He reached the same heights later on quite a few times, although he never fulfilled the promise of Taste with an undeniably great record.

  12. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,368
    Yes I don't see it as a decline at all, more of a path not really taken.

  13. #38
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    While I wouldn't disagree with this, I think it could create the false impression to any newcomer that Rory was already in decline in the 70's. Which is not the case. He reached the same heights later on quite a few times, although he never fulfilled the promise of Taste with an undeniably great record.
    Which tracks/albums would you point out as an example of this?

  14. #39
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,283
    Never really heard of him until maybe 10 years ago, and probably learned about him here on PE. Listening to Calling Card now.

  15. #40
    Member Mythos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wolf City
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have no reason why, but I have never explored this guy over the years. After reading about the death of his old drummer a while back, I decided to take the plunge and picked up the 2CD "Essential" compilation album. Holy shit, this stuff is great! Where should I go from here?
    Way better than the Cars ,huh?

    I saw him live twice in the mid 70's and he was awesome, he was a true showman, every time grinding out 2-1/2 hours of killer guitar until he was just a sweaty mess...

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Which tracks/albums would you point out as an example of this?
    The first two solo albums, and many, many excellent songs like Daughter of the Everglades, 7th son of a 7th son, A Million miles Away, Tatoo'd Lady, Do You Read Me, Moonchild, Shadowplay, Walk on Hoat Coals etc. As I said, I don't disagree with you, I also prefer the second Taste, but it's not like he went downhill IMO.

  17. #42
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Where should I go from here?
    Taste - On The Boards
    Solo - s/t

    I caught Taste opening for Blind Faith in '69 and solo in '74. Always a "go for it" player, always at 100%.
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

    Reminds me of Robert Fripp at a concert in Arlington USA who said something like "I am hearing a request from a gentleman over here to play louder, I would suggest the gentleman to listen more attentively."
    I think that was one of Fripp's stock lines, back when he still did the "frontman" thing, whenever someone would yell out "turn it up!" or "LOUDER!" or whatever.

  19. #44
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,905
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think that was one of Fripp's stock lines, back when he still did the "frontman" thing, whenever someone would yell out "turn it up!" or "LOUDER!" or whatever.
    He had a point !

  20. #45
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The first two solo albums, and many, many excellent songs like Daughter of the Everglades, 7th son of a 7th son, A Million miles Away, Tatoo'd Lady, Do You Read Me, Moonchild, Shadowplay, Walk on Hoat Coals etc. As I said, I don't disagree with you, I also prefer the second Taste, but it's not like he went downhill IMO.
    O.K. - I will put some fresh ears on your suggestions.

  21. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    One thing I loved about him was he didn't use any effect of any kind, plugging straight into the amp. Not only did he not use effects, he was opposed to their use. He felt it was a cop out to be soloing along, getting bored, then stepping on a Wah pedal and going "Wah-Wah-Wah-Wah........"
    1. If I'm not mistaken, he did use a Dallas Rangemaster treble booster.

    2. He used the tone control on his Strat like a wah wah pedal, although obviously not going "wah wah wah", but he'd do stuff like hit a note and as he bent it up, he'd roll the tone control up, which gives sort of gives a more subtle "waaaaah" effect.

    So much for "he never used effects".

    According to Wikipedia, Rory also sometimes uses an Ibanez Tube Screamer (overdrive pedal), "several Boss pedals, including a flanger" and a Boss ME-20 multi-effects unit. The Wikipedia quotes a Guitar For The Practicing Musician article from 1991 as the source for the info on the Tube Screamer and the "several Boss pedals", but not the ME-20 thing.

    But certainly on his classic 70's era records, I don't think there's much in the way of effects, save for the Rangemaster, and his guitar's tone control.

  22. #47
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,109
    I have this one, which has some truly blazing work on it. Need to crank this up again.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Se...llagher_album)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  23. #48
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    2. He used the tone control on his Strat like a wah wah pedal, although obviously not going "wah wah wah", but he'd do stuff like hit a note and as he bent it up, he'd roll the tone control up, which gives sort of gives a more subtle "waaaaah" effect.
    Many "Telemaster" guitarists like Arlen Roth and Roy Buchanan do/did the same thing on their Teles.

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So much for "he never used effects".
    I was quoting him directly from a Guitar Player Magazine interview, around the '82/83 time frame. In that article, he railed against other guitarists using effects as a crutch. I think I still have the issue buried in my spare bedroom closet somewhere.
    Last edited by progmatist; 02-03-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Many "Telemaster" guitarists like Arlen Roth and Roy Buchanan do/did the same thing on their Teles.
    Very true. Lots of guitarists use the volume and tone controls that way, to the chagrin, I'm sure, of the likes of Eddie Van Halen, Glenn Tipton and KK Downing.
    I was quoting him directly from a Guitar Player Magazine interview, around the '82/83 time frame. In that article, he railed against other guitarists using effects as a crutch. I think I still have the issue buried in my spare bedroom closet somewhere.
    I'd be interested to know which issue it was, because I've got most of the GP magazines from circa 81-84, and I don't remember them doing an article on Rory during that era.

    I never quite understood that "effects pedals as a crutch" thing. Who seriously thinks playing guitar through a wah wah or a flanger or whatever makes a "boring" guitar part more "exciting"?

  25. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I never quite understood that "effects pedals as a crutch" thing. Who seriously thinks playing guitar through a wah wah or a flanger or whatever makes a "boring" guitar part more "exciting"?
    Two schools of thought here. One is that inferior guitarists will use effects or distortion to obscure their lack of precision. Others use them just because they sound right for the part. Apparently, some people cannot make the distinction between the two and criticize a player for using them. Johnny Winter used to get some flak for using heavy effects in the 70s. It certainly wasn't to hide sloppy playing. He just loved the sound. And he could outplay just about anyone.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •