Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Prog Sounding Album ?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    When I think “good production,” I think of something like Steely Dan’s Aja, my go-to stereo test disc.
    I'm not audiophile, I probably couldn't differentiate excellent sound quality from good sound quality. But Aja was the first thing that came to my mind when I read this post. There's so much depth in the sound that you can pick up, especially on the title track, but also Deacon Blues and Black Cow.

There are many, but not mentioned yet

Magma: Hhai live
    Paga: Gnosis

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's definitely not an audiophile recording IMHO, but the difference between that old Charisma CD compared to the 1994 'remaster' shames the latter. The best sounding of the 70s Genesis albums for me are Selling England... and Trick.
    I agree with all this. I put it out there because the OP used the words "best sounding" which in this case I apply to the overall sound gestalt of the record, warts and all. I think Trespass was a marvelous document of the band in its early days, regardless of how it stacks up purely from in Audiophile (capitalization on purpose) terms.

For a prog album that IMO does measure up from a production standpoint, I would submit Mike Keneally's Wooden Smoke. An exquisite recording the depths of which are revealed by repeated listening.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Mr Bungle: California.
    Excellent choice as well.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    For me it's Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon (30th Anniversary SACD version with 5.1 mix by James Guthrie).
    Runners up are Yes' Blu-Ray releases of The Yes Album thru Relayer and KC's DVD-A releases of ITCOTCK thru Discipline.
    I have all of those except the KC stuff................you are correct -- that DSOM 30th is very good.
    Also, you reminded me that (although they are not uber-popular) the original releases of YES' Magnification and The Ladder are well-produced too.

Fragile by Yes
    Stereotomy by Alan Parsons Project
    90125 by Yes
    Duke and Abacab - original versions - by Genesis
    Ambrosia by Ambrosia
    UK by UK
    Welcome to the Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes to Hollywood (if 13 minute songs, Coleridge quotes and a Steve Howe guest appearance don't qualify as prog in your book you're narrow-minded ...)
    Red and Discipline by King Crimson
    Moving Pictures by Rush
    Anything engineered by Ken Scott

Here are a couple I like for different reasons:

Sloche - J'Un Oeil
    Karmakanic - Dot
    <sig out of order>

Peter plays live a stereo only SACD . The humdrum would be the track that really stands out. Levins stick, Marrota's drums, Fast keyboards and Pete's vocals a perfect crystal clear sound and mix that really explodes out of the speakers

Steely Dan's Gaucho in 5.1 DVD AUDIO. Babylon sisters sounds like you are sitting in the studio with the band. Possibly the best song for sound quality in my entire catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Fragile by Yes
    Stereotomy by Alan Parsons Project
    90125 by Yes
    Duke and Abacab - original versions - by Genesis
    Ambrosia by Ambrosia
    UK by UK
    Welcome to the Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes to Hollywood (if 13 minute songs, Coleridge quotes and a Steve Howe guest appearance don't qualify as prog in your book you're narrow-minded ...)
    Red and Discipline by King Crimson
    Moving Pictures by Rush
    Anything engineered by Ken Scott
    Nailed it.
    The Prog Corner

There are lots but the ones that spring to mind are

Yes-Fragile
    Rush-Moving Pictures
    Genesis-Selling England/Trick
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side/WYWH/The Division Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Supertramp Crime of the Century, although I am sure I will think of a few others, dynamic range on the mo fi is 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Maybe Dark Side of the Moon? I have to admit I don’t really think a lot of prog has really good sounding, crystal clear production.
    Those were always my reference records (both vinyl and CD for hunting for hi-fi chain elements (including headphones) both in the 70's and in the 90's/11's.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    90125 by Yes
    Glad to see it mentioned here. It is one of the first CD's I ever purchased (I bought it in Singapore while on a port visit aboard USS Enterprise in 1989) and this pressing still amazes me.

My go-to's for audio quality (what I perceive it to be anyway):

Toy Matinee
    King Crimson - Absent Lovers
    Yes - Going for the One, the original CD mix released in the late 80s early 90s.
    Eric Johnson - Venus Isle, this one floored me on first listen

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post
    Glad to see it mentioned here. It is one of the first CD's I ever purchased (I bought it in Singapore while on a port visit aboard USS Enterprise in 1989) and this pressing still amazes me.

My go-to's for audio quality (what I perceive it to be anyway):

Toy Matinee
    King Crimson - Absent Lovers
    Yes - Going for the One, the original CD mix released in the late 80s early 90s.
    Eric Johnson - Venus Isle, this one floored me on first listen
    I've used 90125 to demo PA systems before, simply because I know the sound so well.

But GftO? Although I really like the music, I always considered this a strong candidate for a remix and/or remaster...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I've used 90125 to demo PA systems before, simply because I know the sound so well.

But GftO? Although I really like the music, I always considered this a strong candidate for a remix and/or remaster...
    Could just be personal taste on GftO, but that original CD pressing always sounded good to my ears and it was one of the first CDs where I started to notice a lot of the subtleties (especially the background vocals). The remastered version never really did it for me. It also coincided with me buying my first set of decent headphones around the same time, so maybe it's just that this got heard a lot at that time.

GFTO is a lousy production IMHO. That reverb-drenched sound isn't aging well. I could believe that an older CD is about as good as it will get though, as with Trespass.

ghostsofpompeii ghostsofpompeii's Avatar
    The very first CD I ever purchased was "Octopus" from Gentle Giant and I can still remember the day when the music jumped from the speaker without first hearing that familiar crackle of the needle as it made contact with the vinyl. Don't know why but it still sounds like the cleanest and most sonically pleasing CD in my collection.

Moon Safari's album sound sonically amazing too.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    What is that one prog album you have (vinyl, CD, tape, whatever) that you consider the best example of audiophile/reference quality ?

I own a Japanese Remaster CD of RTF's ROMANTIC WARRIOR that is an absolutely beautiful piece of work.
    It sounds exceptionally outstanding in the car or on the big rig at home.
    I bought the original cassette tape when it was released in 1976..............the first CD release in the 80's..............and this gem over ten years ago; still awesome music.
    I agree with this one and I'll add the debut by UK for albums with excellent sound quality right out of the jacket
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    First to come to mind, as it usually does when this question comes up, is Mike Oldfield -Tubular Bells II.
    yes, TBII is another excellent sounding album but I only have the CD. Is there a vinyl?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    Peter plays live a stereo only SACD . The humdrum would be the track that really stands out. Levins stick, Marrota's drums, Fast keyboards and Pete's vocals a perfect crystal clear sound and mix that really explodes out of the speakers

Steely Dan's Gaucho in 5.1 DVD AUDIO. Babylon sisters sounds like you are sitting in the studio with the band. Possibly the best song for sound quality in my entire catalogue.
    Completely agree about Gaucho. I remember so well a friend playing it to me on a good system and being stunned by the sound quality and depth of the recording. Went straight out and bought a NAD amplifier and Mission 700 speakers....as well as the Gaucho LP. I've got the 5.1 version as well now, stunning all over again!!

When it comes to sound quality wrt prog albums, I always think of this one. Original Italian RCA pressing...

Attached Images Attached Images

^ Shit - is that your VPI table? Wow.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    yes, TBII is another excellent sounding album but I only have the CD. Is there a vinyl?
    I don't know, LP. I have a promo CD, but man that baby is spacious, and it breathes!

Bob Drake The Skull Mailbox has an amazing sound to my ears. The bass guitar alone is ridiculous...its SO fat and biting.

Cardiacs Sing to God is not bad either.