Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Prog Sounding Album ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Your Best Prog Sounding Album ?

What is that one prog album you have (vinyl, CD, tape, whatever) that you consider the best example of audiophile/reference quality ?

I own a Japanese Remaster CD of RTF's ROMANTIC WARRIOR that is an absolutely beautiful piece of work.
    It sounds exceptionally outstanding in the car or on the big rig at home.
    I bought the original cassette tape when it was released in 1976..............the first CD release in the 80's..............and this gem over ten years ago; still awesome music.

Tbh, I don't pay any attention to sound quality at all, I just listen to the music. The only time I look up is if I hear dirt on the needle or if a cd starts jumping or if my wifi stops Spotify.

My original Fragile on vinyl sounds better than anything I've heard since...
    The Prog Corner

Anything that involves Steven Wilson

From a sonic perspective only I'd say The Road Home - Jordan Rudess. From a purely enjoyable perspective I'd say The Way Up - Pat Metheny Group.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Peter Gabriel's "Security"
    Chad

Probably SNOW by Spock's Beard. I just love the production on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Probably SNOW by Spock's Beard. I just love the production on that one.
    Pretty much anything Rich Mouser touches is gold.
    The Prog Corner

Landberk - Indian Summer. I'm not an audiophile and don't usually pay much attention to sound quality, but I'm always taken at how rich, organic and full this particular album sounds.

Bill

I Robot - Alan Parsons Project - all versions, CD, LP, half speed re-master.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

King Crimson-Larks Tongues in Aspic, the original recording...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

MoFi gold disc of Quadrophenia.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    MoFi gold disc of Quadrophenia.
    Pretty much the gold standard for how The Who's records should have sounded.

Supertramp - Crime of the Century
    Steely Dan - Aja, Gaucho
    Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
    Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery & Imagination
    Ralph Towner - Solstice
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    What is that one prog album you have (vinyl, CD, tape, whatever) that you consider the best example of audiophile/reference quality ?

I own a Japanese Remaster CD of RTF's ROMANTIC WARRIOR that is an absolutely beautiful piece of work.
    It sounds exceptionally outstanding in the car or on the big rig at home.
    I bought the original cassette tape when it was released in 1976..............the first CD release in the 80's..............and this gem over ten years ago; still awesome music.

I don't have the Japanese remaster CD, but my vinyl of Romantic Warrior is special.

Amazing sounds, especially the drums.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

First to come to mind, as it usually does when this question comes up, is Mike Oldfield -Tubular Bells II. The Alan Parsons Project releases sound great, not sure if they fall into the Prog-Rock category or not, though.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    First to come to mind, as it usually does when this question comes up, is Mike Oldfield -Tubular Bells II.
    yes, TBII is another excellent sounding album but I only have the CD. Is there a vinyl?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    yes, TBII is another excellent sounding album but I only have the CD. Is there a vinyl?
    I don't know, LP. I have a promo CD, but man that baby is spacious, and it breathes!

There are dozens of great-sounding prog albums in my collection but given the technology available to the band at the time, for overall honesty and fidelity I never cease to marvel at my Charisma CD of Trespass. The intimacy of the vocals and the clarity of the guitars (esp. the 12-strings) along with the organ/mellotron/piano orchestrations give this album a special sheen that always satisfies my ears.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    There are dozens of great-sounding prog albums in my collection but given the technology available to the band at the time, for overall honesty and fidelity I never cease to marvel at my Charisma CD of Trespass. The intimacy of the vocals and the clarity of the guitars (esp. the 12-strings) along with the organ/mellotron/piano orchestrations give this album a special sheen that always satisfies my ears.
    It's definitely not an audiophile recording IMHO, but the difference between that old Charisma CD compared to the 1994 'remaster' shames the latter. The best sounding of the 70s Genesis albums for me are Selling England... and Trick.

I think the best ELP recording might be the live Pictures..., and the debut is also nicely done.

Beyond what's been mentioned already (Pink Floyd, Parsons etc.) I would agree with Progbear. I'm not sure how much of this music is really demo-level quality in terms of production. But that certainly doesn't matter to me, I listen to a lot of pretty rough sounding mono recordings.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-01-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's definitely not an audiophile recording IMHO, but the difference between that old Charisma CD compared to the 1994 'remaster' shames the latter. The best sounding of the 70s Genesis albums for me are Selling England... and Trick.
    I agree with all this. I put it out there because the OP used the words "best sounding" which in this case I apply to the overall sound gestalt of the record, warts and all. I think Trespass was a marvelous document of the band in its early days, regardless of how it stacks up purely from in Audiophile (capitalization on purpose) terms.

For a prog album that IMO does measure up from a production standpoint, I would submit Mike Keneally's Wooden Smoke. An exquisite recording the depths of which are revealed by repeated listening.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post

For a prog album that IMO does measure up from a production standpoint, I would submit Mike Keneally's Wooden Smoke. An exquisite recording the depths of which are revealed by repeated listening.
    Keneally has some superbly recorded and produced albums. I was listening to Dancing last night. It's a masterpiece, imo. Same with Scambot 1, and Sluggo.

Supertramp Crime of the Century, although I am sure I will think of a few others, dynamic range on the mo fi is 16.

I have been impressed with 801-Live for a long time.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

The eons are closing
    While not pure prog (as if THAT exists):

Extreme's "III Sides..." is a phenomenal production of stunning clarity. In a collection of over 600 discs, that one is my reference for trying new speakers.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I will always have a softspot for the 1st s/t Ambrosia lp, reading about it's production makes one realize just how painstaking the process of recorded excellence was back in 1973/74.

Not going to include the Steven Wilson collection of reworked albums.

Of course today there are so many great sounding recordings, one has to have a critical ear to really set one above another, it helps if you like the music as well.
    The recent Kaipa recordings sound really nice.
    Deus Ex Machina - ImParis has great texture and openess.
    Ske - 2018 - 1001 Autunni
    Shpongle - Codex VI