Thread: RIP Paul Whaley, drummer of Blue Cheer.

RIP Paul Whaley, drummer of Blue Cheer.

Playing drums in Vincebus Eruptum is possibly enough of an achievement for a lifetime. Rest in Peace.

RIP.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace.

I saw Blue Cheer live in what was absolutely the loudest concert I have ever been to, Grande Ballroom in Detroit, with the Stooges and the MC5 opening. Whaley was a monster and we had not often seen a double bass drum kit before. He will be missed.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Saw them live touring the great What Doesn't Kill You... album. Immense skin pounding.

RIP!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I saw Blue Cheer live in what was absolutely the loudest concert I have ever been to, Grande Ballroom in Detroit, with the Stooges and the MC5 opening. Whaley was a monster and we had not often seen a double bass drum kit before. He will be missed.
    What, and you survived this, or are you posting here from the other side?

That was a memorable concert! I had never seen the Psychedelic Stooges (as they were known then), so Iggy was a bit of crazed person, shoving the mike stand down his pants and all. And the MC5 apparently had decided to outdo Cheer by borrowing amplifiers from anyone they could. And then Cheer came on and there were 2 sets of 3 stacks of Marshalls on stage. My ears rang for days, not joking. We were all of 10 feet from stage.

-7120186179955434670.jpg
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

My brother had the first album, original vinyl way back when. He gave me the album, and I foolishly gave it away. The album jacket alone would be worth a chunk-o-change today.

That was a memorable concert! I had never seen the Psychedelic Stooges (as they were known then), so Iggy was a bit of crazed person, shoving the mike stand down his pants and all. And the MC5 apparently had decided to outdo Cheer by borrowing amplifiers from anyone they could. And then Cheer came on and there were 2 sets of 3 stacks of Marshalls on stage. My ears rang for days, not joking. We were all of 10 feet from stage.

-7120186179955434670.jpg

A bit of a tribute to Paul Whaley: Drummer Paul Whaley of the 60s acid-rock, proto-metal band Blue Cheer - Band has left the planet. I remember him here. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-fkt

Listening to their last album...What Doesn't Kill You. Pretty good. If Motorhead were a stoner band.

I also saw them live back in the day; I don't think their second album was out yet. Whaley's sticks were practically tree trunks and he wore gloves. Yeah, they were loud, but I've been to louder concerts. Actually, the loudest one I've ever seen was McLaughlin/Santana touring "Love, Devotion, Surrender." Add that to the fact that I've been a professional musician for 40 years and it's no wonder that I've had tinnitus for quite a while.

Anyway, R.I.P. Paul

I listened to Outsideinside earlier. It's cool but it doesn't have the same fury and sledgehammer bass and drums of Eruptum.

Cheer came on and there were 2 sets of 3 stacks of Marshalls on stage.
    They never made it to my neck of the woods back in the glory daze, but I remember seeing this:

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes