Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Todd Rundgren appreciation

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't know Todd actually did shows with Bourgeois Tagg - what were those like?

They eventually became part of his band for the Nearly Human album.

Bourgeois Tagg were really good too. Kinda sad they didnít make more than just two records together, but I enjoyed their music quite a bit. Especially their second one, although perhaps thatís also because of Toddís involvement.

It was interesting to learn that they became his band for a while. I didnít know that until just a few years ago.

Larry Tagg is playing in a Steely Dan tribute now and became a historian. Wrote several books on Lincoln.

lt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Cool.
    I do remember those days. I started in 1975.

But you got to see Todd with the Tubes, eh? Wow! Which tour was that?

I saw the "Remote Control" tour which was absolutely superb. Todd produced the album of course.
    I took some pretty good photos that night because I was able to walk to the front for many of them.
    First time was at a benefit at Bimbos in 1980. Two shows to raise legal defense money for somebody they were close to who was going to trial -- I've heard stories about what the charges were, but I've never been able to verify any of the stories. Anyway, it was supposed to be "black tie," so naturally I wore a psychedelic-painted union suit with a ceramic bow tie. All sorts of music from Tubes offshoots -- including:
    The Boring Squares (feat Michael Cotten)
    Leila & The Snakes (Pearly Gates, Jane Dornacker)
    The Tong (Mingo Lewis)
    AND FOR ALL Utopia Lovers: M. Frog (Jean Yves) LaBat! (He greeted me after his set and told me "I love the Spacy People!" What a blast!).
    Anyway, Rundgren played with the Tubes and did world premiers of "Compassion" and "One World" plus much more.

When Jane Dornacker was killed in a helicopter crash in 1986, they did a memorial benefit together at the Warfield. That night everybody from Carol Doda, Sam Kinison, members of the G. Dead, members of the Jefferson Shuttle-plane, and all sorts besides performed at this gig. Rundgren performed "Come As You Are" from the Love Bomb album during the set.

I did see the Love Bomb tour as well -- Utopia was the opening act for that show.

Of course, Vince Welnick (RIP) played for a few years with Rundgren. Prairie Prince still does.

It sure sounds like an uncredited Todd singing backup on "Stress" from the Bourgeois Tagg Yoyo album, an album he produced.
    Last edited by philsunset; 01-30-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't know Todd actually did shows with Bourgeois Tagg - what were those like?
    Larry Tagg, Michael Urbano, and Lyle Workman worked with Rundgren on Nearly Human -- Workman on Second Wind -- Tagg on The Individualist (tour only). Brent Bourgeois had some personal problems and didn't join in the fun of all this, eventually turning to "Christian" music.

BUT>>> The most fun Rundgren had with Bourgeois Tagg was doing a show called "Condom Mania" in 1987. They were raising money to put condom dispensers in SF bars. Rundgren was wearing a full-size pair of rubber fishing waders. They changed the names of all the songs to go with the theme (like: Rubber's The Answer, Love Of The Condom Man, Baby You're A Ribbed Man, etc.). Best part... Rundgren played piano and sang "You Really Left Me Sore."

ALSO>>> In 1987, at the Bay Area Music Awards, Todd and Bourgeois Tagg played a killer version of "Tomorrow Never Knows."

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    It sure sounds like an uncredited Todd singing backup on "Stress" from the Bourgeois Tagg Yoyo album, an album he produced.
    I wouldnít be surprised if itís so. Todd insinuated himself into the backrgound of a lot of his productions. I think you can also find some of his background vocals on Steve Hillageís L and the aforementioned Wasp album by Shaun Cassidy. And I know thatís him (credited as ďThe FannetsĒ) singing backup on Fannyís ďAll Mine,Ē from the Motherís Pride album.

Toddís most oddball production just might be the Walking Wild album by New England. Which Iím pretty sure happened largely because he and Jimmy Waldo went to the same keyboard techóboth of them used the RMI Keyboard Computer, and Iím pretty sure there was ONE service tech in the country that would work on those beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by Taped Rugs View Post
    Larry Tagg, Michael Urbano, and Lyle Workman worked with Rundgren on Nearly Human -- Workman on Second Wind -- Tagg on The Individualist (tour only). Brent Bourgeois had some personal problems and didn't join in the fun of all this, eventually turning to "Christian" music.
    Mostly true. Brent definitely played a lot of the keys on NH (I know, my original copy was the vinyl release. I would read the liner notes as I listened). He sat out 2nd Wind, replaced by a returning Roger Powell. Roger chose not to tour, I forget who supplanted him (Vince Welnick, maybe?).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Mostly true. Brent definitely played a lot of the keys on NH.
    Right you are Progbear, and thanks for the correction. I learned something new today, always a good thing. I bought the cassette version of NH myself (very tiny album notes), and it came out after I had already seen the band play some of it live at the Fillmore, before the official tour started. Bourgeois didn't play that show or any of the official tour shows, so I mistakenly never associated him with the album. Thanks for putting me right on this.

Hey, speaking of Todd showing up at other people's concerts, I was just going though my journal from 1978 and I wrote that Todd showed up on stage at one of the Patty Smith shows I caught.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What was with all the photos on FB from people who ran into Todd either before or after CTTE? Todd wasn't on one of these cruises (CTTE or Moody's Cruise), was he? It might have been at the airport or something. Just didn't know.

He is on the Moody's Blue cruise. Right now!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    He is hands down my favorite single musical artist -- or at least tied evenly with Tony Banks.
    Fascinating. I just posted on Facebook a week ago that songwriter's who write boring music need to go to school with Rundgren and Banks. Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm a big Todd fan as well, and like most of his music, although I slacked off a bit on some of his recent-ish ones. I've never listened to "Liars!" I know, I need to. But I too love Nearly Human, and saw him on that tour in NYC, and then saw him on the Second Wind tour too. And around that time I saw the off-Broadway production of "Up Against It," which fused the unused Beatles movies script of the same name with music from these two Todd albums. Not a huge success because it just ain't the right kind of music for a musical, and the script isn't good to begin with.

But I came out the other side with my favorite songs from these two albums being "Parallel Lines" and "Change Myself." I do also love "The Waiting Game" and "I Can't Stop Running." They're almost all good songs, and I used to listen to them a lot.

Then when he did his "No World Order" album, which I loved, I got to meet him at an appearance at a record store, and get the album signed (as "TR-I," which is what he was calling himself for that album and tour. Todd Rundgren-Interactive, because he was touting some kind of interactive CD player thingy which went nowhere.

BTW, aith, do you like Todd's "A Capella" album? I love that one and listened to that a lot too. I think I saw him do some numbers from that (I saw him on a couple of his recent tours too). The song "Lost Horizon" is sublime. I don't totally dig his more straight Motown songs, but I love when he channels Motown in his own more experimental, ambient way. Also, most of his big hits are my least favorite of his songs. I like when he stretches our and gets weird. "Tiny Demons" is another great song.
    Jed-I was at that TR-i "explanation" at the record store-probably Tower no? I too loved 2nd Wind. "If I Have To Be Alone" is one of the best songs written-just a brilliant bit of melodic writing. I also loved No World Order even though hearing a 40-something white guy rap is a bit weird somehow it worked because of the great melodic content. Yes, you NEED to get LIARS as soon as possible. The two after it were ok but I really liked WHITE KNIGHT which is mostly collaborations with other singers and very varied but great.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Fascinating. I just posted on Facebook a week ago that songwriter's who write boring music need to go to school with Rundgren and Banks. Spot on!
    I like that idea!

Both of those guys are geniuses, albeit in very different ways.

Oh and Andy Partridge. Forgot him.
    Andy! He's brilliant too.

Skylarking is one of my favorite albums ever, and not just because it was a convergence of Andy and Todd (although it didn't hurt).

Desert Island disk for sure and in my Top 10 easily. Been playing the Steven Wilson remix lately in the car and my kids (8 and 14) LOVE it!

It's amazing that it's got that sparkling TR-kaleidoscopic sound to it considering that Rundgren himself had moved pretty far away from that himself in the mid 80s
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Desert Island disk for sure and in my Top 10 easily. Been playing the Steven Wilson remix lately in the car and my kids (8 and 14) LOVE it!
    Well they have good taste! Skylarking is one of the greats.

btw, was that your son in the 3RDegree promo video a few years back who had the "Giant For A Day" mask? I think it was the album trailer for The Long Division, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    It's amazing that it's got that sparkling TR-kaleidoscopic sound to it considering that Rundgren himself had moved pretty far away from that himself in the mid 80s
    Good point! I hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right I think. Nice call.

Yep. He's 14 now and playing bass in his school band and at the School Of Rock. Tried getting him to play in the Rush class but he went with Motown!

Yep. He's 14 now and playing bass in his school band and at the School Of Rock. Tried getting him to play in the Rush class but he went with Motown!

Yes! I loved that video back when it came out. Especially the part with Proclamation playing in the background. Great stuff...

And Motown -- at least he has good taste.

He's really getting it. In 9 months he's gone from nothing to reading music and playing on stage. As a father I worry about him cuz here I am in a band that's a hobby as my band members near 50 with nary a penny to earn from it but he seems to be looking at it realistically like he could be a teacher or a journeyman or studio cat.

Just home from seeing Todd in London, such a great setlist and performance, his voice is still wonderful and he focussed more on singing, only playing guitar on the rockier songs. He took me right back to those 70’s days when I was in thrall to him.

I missed his in store signing for his new book yesterday, but picked up a signed copy today, so that’s my Sunday taken care of.

Awesome! I haven't seen him since the With A Twist Tour I think. I would like to again.