Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Zappa in New York 5 CD edition

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Is there anything on the old 2-cd version of this that didn't make the transition? Comparing track times between the two seems to have several things that don't line up.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Is there anything on the old 2-cd version of this that didn't make the transition? Comparing track times between the two seems to have several things that don't line up.
    The 2CD versions of Punky, Torture, Pound and Slime are still exclusive to that release. The 2CD performance of Cruising for Burgers does appear on disc 5 but in a different mix without Frank's guitar overdub. The full length Titties and Beer also is on disc 5 (with the Bean or Bear note) but in a different mix.

Oh, and a short section of FZ's guitar solo in I Promise...is also exclusive to the 2CD. There might be other things. But the mix and mastering of the original ZINY is just AWESOME!! I'd heard some of these mixes on Lather, but this is a step up sonically from that even.

Matt.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    The 2CD versions of Punky, Torture, Pound and Slime are still exclusive to that release. The 2CD performance of Cruising for Burgers does appear on disc 5 but in a different mix without Frank's guitar overdub. The full length Titties and Beer also is on disc 5 (with the Bean or Bear note) but in a different mix.

Oh, and a short section of FZ's guitar solo in I Promise...is also exclusive to the 2CD. There might be other things. But the mix and mastering of the original ZINY is just AWESOME!! I'd heard some of these mixes on Lather, but this is a step up sonically from that even.

Matt.
    Great thanks. This is very helpful. Guess I'm keeping my 2CD set as well.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Great thanks. This is very helpful. Guess I'm keeping my 2CD set as well.
    Me, too. I bought a clean copy for 12 bucks a year ago and that's plenty for me.

It's not like I can play it just anywhere.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This extraordinary thing of beauty arrived this morning! Between this and last year's Roxy box, it's a great time to be alive.

Oh, and I'm keeping my 2-CD set as well!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The 28-minute version of "Black Napkins" with the killer Brecker solo starting around the 12-minute mark.....ooo la la.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^this is the standout reason to go for it - great solo by EJ

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Sorry to read that. He did some great work with Caribbean Jazz Project, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was the foam insert in the tin? It seemed to me the disks in their sleeves were pretty snugly set in the foam (but not hard to remove). I did think the replica ticket was strangely small, but who cares?

Here is my ticket from the December 27th show compared to the replica sat in the 1st row of the balcony. It was my 18th birthday when your 18th birthday meant something. Ironically it was Bozzio's birthday as well. This show ranks right up there in my top 3 along with Genesis Lamb and Trick shows. What a trove of music from that four night stand. Brings back many memories from that night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Picked this up on sort of a whim. (Ok. Drunk online shopping. Don't judge me.)

Really glad I did. For some reason, I never really dug the original release (or at least, the original Ryko CD release which isn't really the original but you get what I'm saying).

But this set sounds fantastic, and O'Hearn is fantastic, better than even on later releases.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Picked this up on sort of a whim. (Ok. Drunk online shopping. Don't judge me.)
    Really glad I did. For some reason, I never really dug the original release (or at least, the original Ryko CD release which isn't really the original but you get what I'm saying).
    But this set sounds fantastic, and O'Hearn is fantastic, better than even on later releases.
    I totally understand with what you're saying regarding the previous releases. I've always enjoyed the album but this set has something extra that has drawn me in for repeat listens. It's like I keep hearing something more in the mix. Good stuff!
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015