Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tal Wilkenfeld - Under the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I will add one more non-musician thing that matters to me- she is also overtly Jewish (as am I). Her twitter feed is replete with obvious references, to celebrating a Passover dinner or a shabbat dinner, and making jokes about some of the food stuff she likes, which are in the faith. Minor issue, likely noticed by few, but of note to me.
    I had no idea. Thanks.
    Im not wild about her singer/songwriter thing, but its her choice. She is a great bass player, with beautiful feel and taste. I liked her with Jeff Beck more than Rhonda Smith, stylistically. I am hoping for another instrumental solo album from her at some point. I love Mohini Deys playing too. Completely different players. Met her at NAMM last year, and saw her play at Bass Bash too. Mohini, that is. Very nice person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A live version of 'Killing Me' Tal has recently posted from several years back.

This track really works for me. She's obviously going in the direction she wants to artistically--you don't write a song like that if you're trying to be a "pop star."

The comparison to Esperanza is always going to be there (I've made it myself), but the music is quite different. Esperanza's also been going off in some odd conceptual directions lately, where Tal seems more interested in rock/folk songwriting and not high concept.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    This track really works for me. She's obviously going in the direction she wants to artistically--you don't write a song like that if you're trying to be a "pop star."

The comparison to Esperanza is always going to be there (I've made it myself), but the music is quite different. Esperanza's also been going off in some odd conceptual directions lately, where Tal seems more interested in rock/folk songwriting and not high concept.
    To me, she is trying to sound way too much like Chris Cornell on "Euphoria Morning". It's the off kilter grungy vocal style with a bit more complexity in the music. I suppose because she's not a competent lead vocalist she's trying to find a way to make it work. But Chris was actually a fine lead vocalist and did make it work in a much more convincing way.

Last edited by Skullhead; 02-11-2019 at 01:41 AM.

Here's a live, low-volume (AKA "unplugged") session from yesterday. It has her usual live band plus a small string section, and short interview segments between the songs. I'm not entirely crazy about her choice of material here; it tends towards slow tempos, and presents her far more as a vocalist than as a player. But she does give some interesting information about the album: she uses the same band on every track - Blake Mills on guitar (a country-rock solo artist, producer, sessionman, and sonic experimentalist), Benmont Tench on keyboards (from Tom Petty's Heartbreakers), and Jeremy Stacey on drums (from King Crimson).