Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Tibbetts- fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^

yeah. That didn't make me sleepy at all!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I certainly wouldn't call Terje Rypdal, David Torn, or Raoul Bjorkenheim to be "sleep inducing".
    Rypdal's most energetic albums are on Polydor and the very first few ECM albums he recorded for the label. Haven't heard the other two, TBH.

Just thought I explain more what I meant by "sleep-inducing": music calm enough that one could be caught dozing off too... If the music in itself was boring , it would irritate me and I certainly wouldn't doze to it, I'd zap it away.

Don't get me wrong, it's not as if I'm attacking ECM (I have something like 15 to 20 albums of theirs, but none past 77 or 79), but the label's general output certainly turned towards calm and atmospheric music (to the point that some started calling it European Chamber Music) in the late 70's and 80's - precisely when Steve Tibbetts appeared.

That's all I (clumsily) meant by that
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Don't get me wrong, it's not as if I'm attacking ECM (I have something like 15 to 20 albums of theirs, but none past 77 or 79), but the label's general output certainly turned towards calm and atmospheric music (to the point that some started calling it European Chamber Music) in the late 70's and 80's - precisely when Steve Tibbetts appeared.

That's all I (clumsily) meant by that
    You don't have any of the Nik Bartsch Ronin ECM record?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    all the shouts of "HOH!" make for bad sleep patterns!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    had to check, but indeed they're released by ECM ...

Sooo my bad : Stoa, Holon & Awase are my latest ECM (forgot about those)
    I've also got a couple of Metheny albums that are post-77, now that I think about it: Chatauqua and Offramp

I'm sure that if I check well enough, I've probably got more, but I also know I got rid of a few ECM some 10/15 years ago in one of my "create shelfspace spree".
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The show I saw of him with Marc Anderson was pretty damn great.
    Was that the show at the Freer with Choying Drolma?

I love Exploded View also, not mentioned yet. There is some wonderful chaos going on there.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Was that the show at the Freer with Choying Drolma?
    No. I saw him PRE - Choying at the Birchmere in the 80s where he really ripped on electric, like in the clip I posted.

I've also seen him twice with Choying (last time was the Freer) which were great, but quiet great.

As everyone who knows me will attest, I like great in all its forms, but usually I prefer loud great.....

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

No. I saw him PRE - Choying at the Birchmere in the 80s where he really ripped on electric, like in the clip I posted.

I've also seen him twice with Choying (last time was the Freer) which were great, but quiet great.

As everyone who knows me will attest, I like great in all its forms, but usually I prefer loud great.....

Loud with him is good. The Freer show had significant tech issues with his magic boxes
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Among ECM's slate of guitarists over their long history as a label, Terje Rypdal is the least sleep inducing of all. Listen to Odyssey from 1975. Rock influences but not fusion! Something quite unique. Honestly I find all of his work to be worth listening to. Even the early work is filled with energy and challenging to the listener and that remains to this day. Remarkable guitarist and career. Listen to it all.

In keeping with the thread, I also quite admire Tibbetts. A musician who has always charted a distinct course in the broader jazz waters.