Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jimmy Page / Robbie Williams feud - true/hilarious

Well, they're nothing like Night Ranger. They weren't really Alternative either. More of a Folky group with the silky voice of Natalie Merchant out front. Checking Discogs, I don't even have their first 2 albums. I was referring to The Wishing Chair and In My Tribe. I rate "Like The Weather" a great song though, so maybe they're just not your thing.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well, they're nothing like Night Ranger.
    Yeah, I know. Night Ranger had Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson. 10,000 Maniacs didn't.
    They weren't really Alternative either.
    Well, that I suppose depends on what you eman by "Alternative". At the time, I don't think that was yet a genre as such. But they were one of those "college radio" bands, that got airplay on non-commercial radio long before they made any ripples in the mainstream, much like REM, Sonic Youth, The Smiths, The Pixies and whomever else you want to think of. And eventually, rightly or not, all those bands, all the other groups who were sort of any slightly similar to any of them, all got lumped in as "alternative rock" (I never did figure out what they were supposed to be an alternative to).
    More of a Folky group with the silky voice of Natalie Merchant out front.
    Yeah, she's got a nice enough voice. She's no Christiane Robichaud, but I suppose she gets the job done.
    I rate "Like The Weather" a great song though, so maybe they're just not your thing.
    If it's the song I'm thinking of, has this sort of slightly chimey ascending guitar hook during the verse, which is followed by the vocal, I think it's a "not bad" song. Not completely mediocre, in and of itself, but when you've got to hear several times a week, it, like a lot of songs, can get annoying. If someone put it on during a road trip, just the one time, I wouldn't mind hearing it. But 3-5 times a week, sometimes twice in a single day, makes you want to comandeer the PA system and put on some Thin Lizzy or Zebra. Or even Y&T!

(Damn, now I'm really wanting to listen to the first Autograph record...Turn Up The Radio, mate!)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oh geez, you wanna talk Geneva Convention violations? You should come down to the restaurant I work at. The piped in music is full fo them. On the other hand, I've also heard some cool stuff over the PA at work, like Roxy Music, Crowded House, and a few other good things. But most of the time, it's Adele, Taylor Swift, Culture Club, 10,000 Maniacs, late model REM (I had Man In The Moon inflicted on me twice today!), and other things that make me thankful that when I'm putting away the dry storage room, I can crank up some Uriah Heep, Rainbow or T-Bone Walker.
    If I visit I'll make sure to ask for a table in the store room.

I feel your pain, anyway. In college I spent one Christmas break filling shelves at a local supermarket and they had one 45-minute tape of cheesy 'pops' style renditions of Christmas songs that was on repeat all day, every day. So you heard the same awful shit literally ten times each shift. I've seldom been as glad to get the hell out of a workplace at the end of the day.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

^ Now you know how Noriega felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    If I visit I'll make sure to ask for a table in the store room.

I feel your pain, anyway. In college I spent one Christmas break filling shelves at a local supermarket and they had one 45-minute tape of cheesy 'pops' style renditions of Christmas songs that was on repeat all day, every day. So you heard the same awful shit literally ten times each shift. I've seldom been as glad to get the hell out of a workplace at the end of the day.
    The Christmas music we get is weird. A lot of the usual sort of pop, country and whatever flavoured Xmas music. But then they'll throw in something like Duke Ellington playing Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairies, or Jimmy Smith playing The Little Drummer Boy. That's only odd because the other 11 months of the year, they don't play jazz music at all. I don't get why you can play Duke Ellington during December only, just because it's a Xmas song. Though I suppose I should be thankfuly they don't play Bruce Springsteen's version of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (with that interminable talking intro).

Of course, if I was in charge of the Xmas music, I'd throw in Joan Jett, Spinal Tap and Slade.

I worked in a Radio Shack one Christmas season while I was back in school. After a couple weeks I hid the manager's copy of the Alabama Christmas CD. It was horrifying enough but there was a song called "Thistlehair the Christmas Bear" that made "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" sound like Mozart. I shudder to think of it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart