Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning 60 this year...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Turning 60 this year...

...which makes me a member of the cohort whose 13 year old musical sensibilities in '72 were forever imprinted with the sounds of Yes' "Roundabout" and "Long Distance Runaround", and who was of a perfect age to spend hours ruminating over the lyrics of "Selling England by the Pound" at age 14. Never looked back, Prog has been huge part of my life for more than 45 years. Others reaching the sexagenerian mark this year?

Just another spring chicken
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I turned 60 a couple of months ago, so technically, last year. I think we were born at the best time for prog where we could enjoy the music during its peak years while we were in our teens. Like you, it created an indelible impression on me which has lasted all my life. Some of my friends from back in the day kid me... "You still listen to that stuff?". They've hopped on the country music bandwagon (or hay ride).

BTW, I went to W.P.I. up in your neck of the woods, and saw some good concerts in the Worcester area (like Daevid Allen doing a solo gig at Worcester State), and other shows in Boston (U.K., Tony Williams Lifetime).

Banned
    I’m not far behind (next year). I wonder if it will be as traumatic as 40. I didn’t handle that so well.

Right behind you (60 in 14 months). Same experience. There was a "stoner" who used to play LP's in the cafeteria during lunch hour in Junior High.....That's where I was exposed to Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull ....etc. It was just Rock back then..... Was also in the music programs in Jr & Sr. High so was exposed to Classical, Jazz & choral music. Socially awkward so I gravitated toward music. It has been a rewarding lifelong passion.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Still a couple of years to go. When I was a kid, we used to play with the Ouija Board for fun. It told me I would die at 53. So, once I made it beyond that, it was all gravy.

Seriously, though, age never really bothered me ... so far. My biggest fear of turning 60 is that I'll be sending my youngest to college.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Turning 60 within 5 months. Don't feel much different.

60 for me comes in December of 2020. It's just a number. I've learned to laugh at all the things that I used to fear about getting old. If I'm lucky, I'll get maybe another 20 years, but if not, so what? Enjoy life right now, and make it worth living both for you and for everyone else that you know.

Banned
    ^^^
    My youngest started last year, the next one starts in the fall after graduating a year early. I’m having more anxiety watching my 401K dwindling, the political chaos, and wondering how I’m going to retire.

For me my “never turn back experience” was seeing the then unknown to me Gentle Giant open for Jethro Tull during the Minstrel in the Gallery tour at the old Capital Center ourtside of DC. I could not believe I had enjoyed them more than Tull.

It was also the first and last time I saw an O.D. victim rushed into an ambulance. That also made quite an impression.

<edit> wise words indeed Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Turning 60 within 5 months. Don't feel much different.
    Me too.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Turned 60 back in 7/2018.

Also so glad that I got turned on to Prog when I did (back in high school)...also never looked back but more importantly, was able to learn to widen my musical horizons with Classical, fusion, Ambient, Medieval/Chamber music. (all of these genres have been rewarding)
    G.A.S -aholic

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    ...which makes me a member of the cohort whose 13 year old musical sensibilities in '72 were forever imprinted with the sounds of Yes' "Roundabout" and "Long Distance Runaround", and who was of a perfect age to spend hours ruminating over the lyrics of "Selling England by the Pound" at age 14. Never looked back, Prog has been huge part of my life for more than 45 years. Others reaching the sexagenerian mark this year?
    I'm a couple of years behind, meaning I missed some shows that came through here where I was too young to legally enter the venues. Then when I turned 18 they raised the drinking age and didn't grandfather in those of us who'd become of age in the first 3 months of the year!
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 01-13-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Turning 60 in 3 years 3 months. Loved prog since seeing Genesis in 76 for Trick Of The Tail.

Turned that corner at the end of November.
    I have yet to try and leverage a senior discount, and reject the advances of the AARP.
    Yep, Prog was my ( literally ) Top 40. Somewhere I have tapes of Casey Kasem counting down Yes, ELP, Focus, and any number of currently accepted Bands.
    Happily my tastes did not stall out with those early teen favorites.
    I like to believe that they infected me with a love of more complex music.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    I remember listening to Casey Kasem as well when you could hear new innovative stuff. First place I heard Kraftwerk which was my ticket into the wonderful world of Krautrock.

I turned 60 two years ago.
    Nothing has been the same...

"You're only as old as the woman you feel."

-- Groucho Marx
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

61 coming up in about 3 weeks. Yes, I feel it, but the best thing I've done is changed my diet over the last couple years. I've lost 35 lbs. and go to the health club less, actually. The aches and pains of old age are more intense now, but the cannabis is a good pain killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    61 coming up in about 3 weeks. Yes, I feel it, but the best thing I've done is changed my diet over the last couple years. I've lost 35 lbs. and go to the health club less, actually. The aches and pains of old age are more intense now, but the cannabis is a good pain killer.
    I have even you beat. 61 in 6 days.
    I remember hearing Yes Roundabout on an AM radio. REmember pretty much where I was to. It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship with most things prog that has continued till today.
    Happy Birthday Rikawakman.

Turned 60 last June. Very sobering.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Yes, I remember hearing Roundabout in Jr. High School back then. I never got into prog back then. I remember thumbing through the Yes albums in record stores but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I was chickenshit. I remember staring at the Relayer album and seeing the length of Gates Of Delirium and thinking it was a bit radical......

That was at Woolworths. I also remember seeing Alice Cooper....Killers and thinking I'm going to hell for looking at the cover.....

I have way too much to say to post in this thread!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

^

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Wish my memory was better for shows like Yes doing TFTO at Madison Square Garden in '74 when I was 15.