Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Muse - Simulation Theory

^I agree that Black Holes... was the turning point in their sound, and that was also the point where they got really big, as I remember. (Did they play Wembley Stadium whilst touring Absolution?) So from that point of view it's hard to argue against it.

I pretty much fell off after the Resistance (which I love). 2nd Law is when I started feeling like they were either trying things that I didn't care for, or sounding like they're repeating themselves. I bought Drones and only listened a handful of times, but the tour was great as usual. I wasn't planning on going this time round, but now I'm doing a project for their production manager at work, so I'll likely be seeing them in April. Based on the OP, it sounds like I need to check out this new one.

I have never been able understand what Muse are all about, every time I try to listen to them all I can hear is a discordant noise...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I have never been able understand what Muse are all about, every time I try to listen to them all I can hear is a discordant noise...
    Discordant?

Even stuff like this?

Gotta admit, I've never heard anyone call Muse "discordant" before.

^Not remotely 'discordant'.

The eons are closing
    I am a fan thru Resistance and got off the bus at 2nd Law though I saw that tour (and it was good).

All the Queen related discussion is appropriate to these ears. I could always picture :Kind of Magic era' Freddie with his half mic stand belting out these tunz.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I agree that Black Holes... was the turning point in their sound, and that was also the point where they got really big, as I remember. (Did they play Wembley Stadium whilst touring Absolution?) So from that point of view it's hard to argue against it.
    I think you’re right. That was actually the album that made me a fan too, so I think it was because of that sound that I came to like them.

And I totally get that they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    If anything I find them too cordant.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I enjoy their bombast. I got Simulation Theory yesterday and just had my first listen. While still keeping the signature Muse sound, the 80s-ness of it makes it rather unique in their catalog. Nothing as beautifully over-the-top as Ruled by Secrecy or Take a Bow, but still fun.

One other thing...I was surprised that this album didn't last long in the UK Top 40. I remember noting that The Beatles' white album reissue/remix stayed there for longer, despite coming out in the same week and Muse topping the chart in that first week. I thought this would be a blockbuster. Perhaps I've overestimated how popular their previous albums were but I don't think so.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-16-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    One other thing...I was surprised that this album didn't last long in the UK Top 40. I remember noting that The Beatles' white album reissue/remix stayed there for longer, despite coming out in the same week and Muse topping the chart in that first week.* I thought this would be a blockbuster. Perhaps I've overestimated how popular their previous albums were but I don't think so.
    I was surprised by that as well. Maybe they aren't as popular nowadays as they used to be, or at least not as much as I'd once thought. They seemed huge for a few years there.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I was surprised by that as well. Maybe they aren't as popular nowadays as they used to be, or at least not as much as I'd once thought. They seemed huge for a few years there.
    It may have something to do with the concept that Muse released some of the music as early as 2017 so by the time the actual album came out, they were on something like their 4th single. Just spitballing...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It may have something to do with the concept that Muse released some of the music as early as 2017 so by the time the actual album came out, they were on something like their 4th single. Just spitballing...
    Wow, I hadn't realized that. Could explain a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. It feels like the album has been on its way forever, which kind of dilutes the excitement level. I'm not sure if they're experimenting with a new way to release music or what, but for an old fashioned guy like me, it doesn't work.