Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New album by The Who

New album by The Who

Looks like Pete and Roger are finally working on a new album as well as kicking off a symphonic tour of the US. I'm looking forward to both.

https://www.jambase.com/article/the-...onic-tour-2019

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Who's Left?

(Sorry for being obvious.)
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Oh please let it end!!!!!

Just got The Who Live at Fillmore East a few days ago. Great double CD album. John is a beast! 33 minutes of My Generation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested, although their most recent song 'Be Lucky' was a bit of a dud IMHO, Endless Wire has grown on me a bit over the years.

I just read a Roger’s autobiography, so am playing lots of the catalogue. I would certainly like to see them play again, and always find something to enjoy in their releases. I haven’t revisited Endless Wire in a long time though, it’s hard to get past those timeless classics.

Let's be honest, Townshend had peaked by the 70s. Certainly starting with The Who Sell Out through to Quadrophenia, that's an amazing run of 5-star classic albums...and then you have all those great non-album singles. (No I don't think The Who By Numbers is a classic, and the ones which followed, even less.)

I was strongly disappointed by Endless Wire when I first heard it. But over the years I have come to appreciate some of it, even though it comes across as rather demo-like at times, and it could have done with a trim. It's no worse than the 80s albums, really! (High praise indeed!)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I was strongly disappointed by Endless Wire when I first heard it. But over the years I have come to appreciate some of it, even though it comes across as rather demo-like at times, and it could have done with a trim. It's no worse than the 80s albums, really! (High praise indeed!)
    The two early 80's albums at least had Thunderfingers bringing...well, the thunder, loud and clear. You don't even get that when you see The Who live now. Or at least it doesn't sound like whenever I've seen them on TV in the last 15 years.

It’s called “Who Cares”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    It’s called “Who Cares”
    Definitely file under "Who cares". I mean, when was the last time Townshend wrote any actual, honest to Goddess rock n roll songs?! Not these quasi-singer/songwriter or Broadway thigns that he did on his 80's and 90's era solo albums, I mean rock n roll. When was the last time he wrote something like Slip Kid, Dreaming From The Waist, or even Another Tricky Day?! Maybe I've missed something, but as far as I know, it's been awhile (and by "awhile" I mean decades).

I like how people are tearing them apart without hearing one note. Some complain when they coast on nostalgia touring, and I'd agree, I wouldn't want to hear them doing those old songs now either.

FWIW I thought the best things on Endless Wire were the acoustic tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I like how people are tearing them apart without hearing one note. Some complain when they coast on nostalgia touring, and I'd agree, I wouldn't want to hear them doing those old songs now either.
    Well, I'd be happy to hear The Who do old songs, new ones, whatever, so long as it actually soundslike The Who. The last time I saw them, which was just after Entwistle passed away, and every time Iv'e seen them perform on TV since, they've got the bass potted way down in the mix, i.e. it does not sound like The Who. I don't know if they still have Pino Palladino playing with them, but I know at least when I saw them in 2003, you could see Pino was playing the licks, you just couldn't hear it. The only time you could hear him was during My Generation, and he was using this bass tone that sounded like the preceding 40 years electric bass evolution (some of which was instigated by John himself, btw) had passed him by. Very unsatisfactory in my book.

FWIW I thought the best things on Endless Wire were the acoustic tracks.
    And there's the rub for me. I felt like another big part of The Who's sound, at least in the studio, was the mix of acoustic and electric. Sometimes they were still a rowdy rock n roll band, but with acoustic guitar replacing the big heavy power chords, see Pinball Wizard and Dreaming For The Waist for examples.

You take the electricity out, and what have you got left? Townshend could be the hell out of a J-200 just as well as he did with his electric guitars, as demonstrated in the Secret Policeman's Ball film, but is that what we're gonna get? If it's just gonna be more of that Good Looking Boy nonsense, they shouldn't call it The Who. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The two early 80's albums at least had Thunderfingers bringing...well, the thunder, loud and clear. You don't even get that when you see The Who live now. Or at least it doesn't sound like whenever I've seen them on TV in the last 15 years.
    Pino is so disappointing in The Who. Totally agree that he is nowhere near as busy as the music deserves.

Gearing up for another farewell tour, no doubt.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All you need is "The Who Live At Leeds"

Thanks for sharing the article, I'm a bit surprised.
    Well, I'll take whatever comes. I actually like all the Who albums to a degree.

Endless Wire could have been an interesting conclusion, because, in spite of its demo-like production and overall conception (or because of it), it had some of the freshness of old Who material. Now if they do another one, I'd like them to avoid making Endless Wire 2 and end with a more rocking statement (yes, with some actual BASS and drums).

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Pino is so disappointing in The Who. Totally agree that he is nowhere near as busy as the music deserves.
    The funny thing is, when I saw them in 2003, just after Entwistle went home to resume his partnership with Keith (that's how I prefer to think of it), you'd see these quick shots of Pino on the vidoe screens, and you could see he was playing some hot stuff, but you just couldn't hear it. They had potted down in the mix, like the way a bassist is theoretically supposed to be, which of course, was never how Entwistle was. At the time, I thought maybe they didn't want to be disrespectful toward John's memory, but every time I saw them on TV after that, it was the same thing, bass potted down.

To me, without that robust, full bodied bass tone, cranked up a lot louder than traditional logic says it's supposed to be, it doesn't sound like The Who to me, even more so than the Kenney Jones or Simon Phillips era lineups.

The weird thing is, Pino is a great bassist, particularly on fretless. You can hear it all over his work with Paul Young (don't laugh, there's some great musicianship on some of those records, even on Every Time You Go Away) and David Gilmour (one word: Murder). I know Pino can do this job, I think Pete and Roger, using whatever misguided logic, won't give him the chance to do it. Maybe he won't bring the thunder the way John did, but I know he could do better than they're letting him.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    All you need is "The Who Live At Leeds"
    Eh, I'd say there's a few others that are at least worthy of attention, if not absolutely essential. I'm certainly more interested in hearing that version of Heaven And Hell that opens the expanded version than I am any new record that Peter and Roger might record.

Actual bass and drums is definitely needed. Geddy Lee could guest on it as the bassist. Not holding my breath on that one though but he would be at the level of musicianship that The Who requires from a bassist. Pino is fine but he doesn't have any fire in his playing like Entwistle had. Starkey was absent from Endless Wire because of other commitments at the time but he definitely needs to be on the new album. At this point, Starkey feels like a member of the band, not just a side musician. I liked Endless Wire but it did suffer from the lack of a real rhythm section. I'm rather excited about a new Who album. I thought we wouldn't get another one so this is terrific news.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

For me, they'd need to come back and kick ass to get my interest. As noted above, Townshend has pretty much locked himself into writing singer-songwriter type material. That's fine for solo work but this is the fucking Who. Turn the rhythm section up in the mix, remember the dynamics, and ROCK HARD! Close with a ballad if you want. Make that kind of album and I'll buy it. Until then, it's Quadrophenia on repeat.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Eh, I'd say there's a few others that are at least worthy of attention, if not absolutely essential. I'm certainly more interested in hearing that version of Heaven And Hell that opens the expanded version than I am any new record that Peter and Roger might record.
    Do you mean the version that is about 5.40-ish rather than 4.50-ish? That is on Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    Do you mean the version that is about 5.40-ish rather than 4.50-ish? That is on Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970.
    No I mean the version that's on Live At Leeds. I've never herard the Isle Of Wight thing, apart from what was used on the 30 Years Of Maximum R&B

I liked 'Real Good Looking Boy'. Greg Lake was on that and 'Old Red Wine'.

One last rock album would indeed be preferable. Endless Wire should really have been called Fragments after its first track, because that's really what it was. And Townshend's Tom Waits-style vocal on 'In The Ether' (not a bad song) should have been canned, I burst out laughing when I first heard it.

I think Townshend has tired of the nostalgia-only treadmill they've been on for so long. And yes I've never been too impressed with the live stuff I've seen/heard post-Entwistle.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Who's Left?
    perfect album title