Thread: Rachel Flowers covers Pirates

Rachel Flowers covers Pirates

As usual Rachel works her magic, always getting to the ethos of the music brilliantly!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Well, that was fun!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Excellent!

Two observations.

First, her voice has improved immensely over the years.

Second, I'm glad she's taking a little more liberty with the original. I've never seen much point in exact note-for-note covers except as technical showoffery.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Outstanding. Worthy!

Perhaps she's preparing for Carl's ELP 50th.....

If I wasn't paying really close attention, I'd swear it was Keith playing on a lot of it.

Varely nice!

Wow - really great stuff. Is she playing every instrument? Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Wow - really great stuff. Is she playing every instrument? Very nice
    She is playing everything. The drums are done live on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Second, I'm glad she's taking a little more liberty with the original. I've never seen much point in exact note-for-note covers except as technical showoffery.
    Hmm... sounded like a note-for-note cover to me. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

What strikes me is how someone today can easily re-create the sounds of a Yamaha GX-1, which back in the day cost more than a car.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

She sure as hell isn't stagnating!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Hmm... sounded like a note-for-note cover to me. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.
    It's little things, like the flute solo is different.

Truly brilliant! I am not going to criticizes her voice, the flute or if it sounds like a cover but give her all the praise she deserves, what Rachel did with Pirates cannot be easily achieved or replicated.
    Hmm - Why don't you dudes give it a try to test your skills huh?

Keith may be gone but he sure left a young prodigy who was inspired by his genius and will follow his path - congrats, Bravo Rachel!!

Scuzi? I said nothing but good about young Ms. Flowers.

Very excited to see her perform live on the cruise in a few weeks!

All that was done on keyboards??! Sounds like Rachel's got the full orchestra + Carl in her studio. Amazing. Her precision regarding arrangements is just perfect. She completely "gets" the tune and how to support it with the various instruments & instrumental passages. Amazing again. Also I should say I like her voice a lot on this. I had never heard her sing before.

Two thoughts. First, does she have enough of these ELP covers now for a full CD? I would love to buy a copy. Second, she really needs to form a band. Maybe with Robert Berry? 3.3?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    All that was done on keyboards??!
    Mostly. She also played bass on the track. She plays the drums on the keyboard also.

I'm guessing she played a real flute too. She does that.

Not to change the topic a bit, but did you catch this with Michael Sadler of Saga?

https://www.facebook.com/RachelFlowe...5368216329080/
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Not to change the topic a bit, but did you catch this with Michael Sadler of Saga?

https://www.facebook.com/RachelFlowe...5368216329080/
    Available digitally at https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/michaelsadler and iTunes. Signed cd at
    https://shop.rachelflowersmusic.com/album/3-x-2

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I'm guessing she played a real flute too. She does that.
    I think she used synth flute on this to more match the original.

In awe once again of her talents!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

Two thoughts. First, does she have enough of these ELP covers now for a full CD? I would love to buy a copy. Second, she really needs to form a band. Maybe with Robert Berry? 3.3?
    She anounced from the Progstock 2018 stage that there were CDs on sale at the lobby for that event, I'm sure there will be more on the Cruise next month. I did not buy so I don't know if those include her ELP covers, but I heard they are mostly acoustic recordings. I don't think she has a distributor setup quite yet.

It would be good to see her in a band but IMHO I think she still needs to gradually mature enough into a more professional level, she should take her time to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    She anounced from the Progstock 2018 stage that there were CDs on sale at the lobby for that event, I'm sure there will be more on the Cruise next month. I did not buy so I don't know if those include her ELP covers, but I heard they are mostly acoustic recordings. I don't think she has a distributor setup quite yet.
    Rachels albums are available on Bandcamp, Amazon, and iTunes as well as other services. The soundtrack to the movie is available on Bandcamp and Amazon.