Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    that new Rascal Reporters is now up on Bandcamp
    https://rascalreporters.bandcamp.com...ing-2019-redux
    Assuming you are James, you did really good on this. It sounds like the Reporters 100%.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They were also a great live act. Saw them 5-6 times in the 80s (only once with Zeena).
    That is easy to believe. They must have been FIERCE!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Yes! The Skeleton Crew records are flarpin' awesome.

They were also a great live act. Saw them 5-6 times in the 80s (only once with Zeena).
    What a coincidence! The last link I posted on this thread is a Zeena project. I forgot to mention, mainly because I am an ape that didn't even make the connection. I post it again, it's really good. https://greendome.bandcamp.com/releases

I've also been under a Skeleton Crew spell the last two weeks. This is Henry Cow, Art Bears quality for me. [Will they bury us ? We will bury you. - where's that line coming from?]

That's Reagan talking about Krushchev saying, "We will bury you."

Playing Fred Frith - Allies right now. Add it to the list if you don't have it, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Cheers, I knew the Kruschev quote, but I didn't know that mighty Ronnie had doubled the stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    That is easy to believe. They must have been FIERCE!
    They were hugely fun and sorta very tight and falling apart at the same time, what with doing the drums split between two people (neither of whom were drummers) while they were playing another instrument or instruments and singing!

IIRC, I once saw the sound sensation called THE STICK MEN open for them in Baltimore. It was massively awesome and adrenaline filled.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

^ I got This Is the Master Brew from a post-punk/indie retailer in my ol' hometown some 17 years back - for five bucks! On yellow vinyl! Damn, that's one hell of a find. My then-wife loved them and left with that Stick Men CD of yours, Steve. In fact, I believe that's why she left.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Not to mention the repeating recording of his voice farting out the line "We're still free in America!"
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Not to mention the repeating recording of his voice farting out the line "We're still free in America!"
    The silly old coot was so easily confused. Here's what he was really trying to say...verbatim:

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    My then-wife loved them and left with that Stick Men CD of yours, Steve. In fact, I believe that's why she left.
    But it isn’t like she showed up on my doorstep in gratitude or anything.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Assuming you are James, you did really good on this. It sounds like the Reporters 100%.
    It is indeed me! Thank you so much, I modelled my drum sound for this after something between Happy Accidents and the bonus track Stabbing At Air. And love their drumming styles, I feel I've always played along those lines a bit myself, so it felt natural for me! And luckily there is so much going on in those keyboard parts that I can build my bass parts straight from it! I'm beginning work on a 12 minute Steve Kretzmer piano piece that never saw the light of day, hoping to flesh it out nicely, but definitely going to be a mountain of work to write parts for 12 minutes of little to no repetition, very excited for the challenge

But it isn’t like she showed up on my doorstep in gratitude or anything.
    Nah, she's still at home watching the shit out of that CD-ROM footage on the release, man, utterly hypnotized. Seriously, she used to pump it in the car. She took that too when she left. That, and the dog darn Sigge Persson Swedish classic cutlery.

Anyway, I just checked my Master Brew Stic Men vinyl, and it's red - not yellow. It slays, that thing. I Wonder if Ron Anderson ever heard it; some of his stuff for PAK reminds a lot, although there's a bit more, uh, "prog" to it.

Also, I wonder if Jon Anderson ever heard Ron Anderson?

In an ancient Greek context, the phrase "We will bury you" would mean pay of respect. See Sophocles' Antigone for further information. It would mean "we will not leave you unburied, we are the civilized WEST for fuck's sake, we will respect you and bury you". Doubtful if this is what Reagan had in mind. In any case the line repeats itself in a most definite context in this SC track. It's impossible to miss. Which makes it a stroke of genius.

^ Well, you know - according to Norman Mailer, Reagan apparently (from Mailer's conversation with him at a White House dinner) wasn't quite aware of the connection between marxism and Karl Marx. So I'd suspect it somewhat futile to suggest his awareness of Sophocles' Antigone.

^ Yep. He had a real problem with antagonists. As any Real Merkin would.

^ but Sophocles was very well aware of Reagan, he had foreseen, foresuffered, forepuked him in the image of Creon. Will they bury us? No way man, we will bury them.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 02-23-2019 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    foreseen, forsuffered, forpuked
    Just don't forsake me or forsqueak me.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

foreseen, forsuffered, forpuked
    Sounds like a bootleg issued by Gnuvo, the Forelock Man.

Ready for some “Bran Coucou” by PinioL ... la dosis!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just don't forsake me or forsqueak me.
    I gave it a go, the old T. S. Eliot way. I hope it didn't offend the eye too much

Sophocles was very well aware of Reagan, he had foreseen, foresuffered, forepuked him in the image of Creon.
    The most shocking thing was how Reagan could become President after having been the main character in William P. Blatty's The Exorcist. I believe he had the lead acting job as himself in the film as well, even developing a technique of rotating his skull all-way-round and spewing green muck on Jason Miller (in the role of Father Karras), who for that reason later uttered: "I'm never voting for that S.O.B.!" Max von Sydow wanted to vote for him, though, being a huge fan of pukeslime - but alas he was a Swede, he wasn't allowed.

Gave the Calle Debauche album a blast this morning. Some might consider it comfort-prog for panheads, but I like it and our two-year-old enjoyed dancing to it. Until Mummy made us turn it off
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Circus prog.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.