Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Weasel Walter's entire artistic agenda is to formulate expressions of extremity - he's stated so himself on several occasions. He'd be unsuccessful at it if listeners were to actually "enjoy" the act of taking in his music. As such, I kinda like The Flying Luttenbachers - but I certainly don't enjoy too much of it at a time. It's painful sound, all the more intensely experienced because it's not mere noise but actually composed sonic matter.

Their one - sole - gig here in Oslo (at BlŚ in 2004, I believe) has gained near-mythical reputation with 'extreme fringe' fans in recent years, mostly due to the fact that many attendees simply used the appearance as a test-of-endurance and so a token to capacities of integrity. Apparently not many audience members prevailed the ordeal.
    This is an interesting take. There have been some musical acts that at times I've liked although I might not have enjoyed them per se, so I think I can understand where you're coming from.

Based on these descriptions, I feel like I really should at least check out The Flying Luttenbachers now.

I just re-watched documentary Romantic Warriors II: About Rock-In-Opposition. Such a wonderful documentary! It made me however wonder that is there no any commercial recordings available from modern RIO-festivals that are held in France? It would be amazing to have for example recording (with or without image) of Once Upon Time In A Belgium project with combined forces of Univers Zero, Aranis and Present.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I just re-watched documentary Romantic Warriors II: About Rock-In-Opposition. Such a wonderful documentary! It made me however wonder that is there no any commercial recordings available from modern RIO-festivals that are held in France? It would be amazing to have for example recording (with or without image) of Once Upon Time In A Belgium project with combined forces of Univers Zero, Aranis and Present.
    [Cough Cough Cough DD is the problem Cough Cough Cough]

You can get some of Present at RIO 2007 on the original release of Barbaro with the DVD, and 12’ of Guapo at RIO 2009 on the DVD with History Of The Visitation.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

You can get some of Present at RIO 2007 on the original release of Barbaro with the DVD, and 12’ of Guapo at RIO 2009 on the DVD with History Of The Visitation.
    Oh, that Present DVD I have. It's great!

Oh, that Present DVD I have. It's great!
    Well, enjoy it because you are not gonna get Once Upon A Time In Belgium.......
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

Well, enjoy it because you are not gonna get Once Upon A Time In Belgium.......
    So what is the problem of Daniel Denis?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Those are two of my favorite and most played dvd's (along with Oldfield - Montreaux)
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So what is the problem of Daniel Denis?
    Most likely a money issue.

The Normal Love debut is worth your attention - quite different from Survival Tricks

^ Very different indeed. The only basic similarity between those two releases is the fact that they both contain highly difficult and challenging music. Survival Tricks is a bit like "vocal No-wave meets music academy", whereas the 2007 release is way more recognizably "rehearsal-intensive", compositional performance. They're both good and interesting, but I personally get more mileage from the debut.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm closer to an actual binge lately. In the past week and a half, or so:

Science Group - A Mere Cooincidence
    Science Group - Spoors
    Bob Drake - 13 Songs and a Thing
    Hail - Hello Debris
    Picchio dal Pozzo - Abbiamo Tutti i Suoi Problemi
    Art Bears - The World as it is Today
    Pigpen - Miss Ann
    Doctor Nerve - Skin

Like, dude, an' stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Very different indeed. The only basic similarity between those two releases is the fact that they both contain highly difficult and challenging music. Survival Tricks is a bit like "vocal No-wave meets music academy", whereas the 2007 release is way more recognizably "rehearsal-intensive", compositional performance. They're both good and interesting, but I personally get more mileage from the debut.
    I had heard of them and went to Baltimore to see them. They only had 30' of material or so, but yeah. It was very much 'rehearsal intensive rock music'.....

I liked it as much as you can like being completely overrun with unfamiliar, thorny material.

I need to listen to that 1st album again.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Tonight's menķ:
    (A great selection from uncle Steve/Cunei!)

- Happy Family - Toscco.
    - Miriodor - Cobra Fakir.
    - Hamster Theater - Carnival Detournement.
    - Gutbucket - A Modest Proposal.
    - Forever Einstein - Artificial Horizon.

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

^^^^^^^^

< sincere appreciation >
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

^^^^^^^^

< sincere appreciation >
    Thanks Steve and the same for you!.

Actually,
    I'm preparing a radio show about Cuneiform Records and its rebirth, about its legacy and importance.

I have 1 hour to condense Cuneiís excellent discography and most importantly, to share all that and more with the ones that kindly will listen to me that night.

Steve:
    A sincere applause and a big hug for the work done and thanks for keep moving forward!

ps: Iím having a big time/fun BTW!
    Last edited by TCC; 05-05-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Steve:
    A sincere applause and a big hug for the work done and thanks for keep moving forward!
    What he says.

For fans of Bandcamp we've put Rascal Reporters' Happy Accidents up on Bandcamp for the first time now! I'm personally delighted to have it there, I love the platform. Those who're familiar know that this record features the likes of Dave Newhouse of The Muffins, Guy Segers of Univers Zero, Dave Kerman of 5uu's & Present, Nick Didkovsky of Doctor Nerve, James Grigsby of The Motor Totemist Guild & U Totem, and Steve Feigenbaum! Those unfamiliar... you've been missing out. This album is amazing. I can say that because I was not at all involved in any way!! haha

https://rascalreporters.bandcamp.com...py-accidents-2

I was gonna write something similar.
    Me too. Carla Kihstedt is just like a "must be listened" label.

The new Poil kills (my vinyl is not here yet, so I exercised my legitimate rights on the FLAC edition).

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The new Poil kills (my vinyl is not here yet, so I exercised my legitimate rights on the FLAC edition).
    I like it a lot. For me this one has a better balance between high-energy weirdness and athmosphere. I also like that they sometimes sound like choirboys.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yup, new Poil is excellent, they killed it at RIO last Thursday
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I like it a lot. For me this one has a better balance between high-energy weirdness and athmosphere. I also like that they sometimes sound like choirboys.
    there are obvious influences from medieval chants and renaissance choir music. They guys do not cease to amaze.

Been grooving about a week to Aksak Maboul's album Un Peu de L'Ame des Bandits (1980). Just brilliant! So unique and bizarre but suprisingly easy to listen anyway. This is completely new discovery for me. How about other albums byAksak Mabou? Any recommendations?

How about other albums byAksak Mabou? Any recommendations?
    You'll certainly want the debut, which was equally genius albeit less obviously powerful. Probably even a tad more overtly surreal than the second one, though - which of course is carried away by the absolute monster which is "Cinema", one of the greatest progressive "long-form" epics of all time (IMHO).

See this thread: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...=downtown+oslo
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Been grooving about a week to Aksak Maboul's album Un Peu de L'Ame des Bandits (1980). Just brilliant! So unique and bizarre but suprisingly easy to listen anyway. This is completely new discovery for me. How about other albums byAksak Mabou? Any recommendations?
    Un Peu is indeed an astonishing album, but it was very much a one-off album -their first 'Onze Danses Pour Combattre La Migraine' is also a great album but is quite different -its more a home-made low key sort of album, not the full band with Henry Cow thing that Un Peu is. The only other one they made is the recent Ex-Futur thing which is really The Honeymoon Killers, a later version of the band that took a more new-wave pop direction and had a female singer.