Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I am proud to be the first person to post this in this thread....

I wish he'd taken it further.

You can play notes from a twelve-tone row simultaneously in groups of three or four at a time - this is permitted in twelve-tone theory. Then, if you pick the right notes for the row, and play them thus, you can get a chord progression that doesn't "sound atonal". In fact, it can sound like jazz, with a bit more harmonic distance between chords than usual. So it might have been possible to actually write a twelve-tone song that sounded halfway reasonable, if not exactly like any kind of orthodox C&W.

^^^^^^

I’m sorry that you’re not programmed to chuckle or laugh....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This is "avant-prog", Steve. It's serious shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    This is "avant-prog", Steve. It's serious shit.
    I've got my helmet strapped on.

Flatt and Scruggs plays Ligeti is a great album.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm digging on Bobby D.'s 13 Songs and Thing right now.

^ I couldn't say how many Bob-CDs I've got altogether, or how many I've actually heard, but 13 Songs is indeed among the ones I've listened to the most. And as far as I can tell, it's one of his least celebrated. For whatever reason. I always thought the 12-minute "thing" was a splendid idea to realise, and I keep wondering how an audience would have reacted if this had been the opening track on, say, a new Yes- or Rolling Stones-release.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    OK, first: This is a variant of the question, "What is prog?" Most of the people here have come to the consensus that, "What is prog?" has no definitive answer. Or, more accurately, that it has thousands or even millions of answers, each of them slightly different from any other, each consisting of one person's own definition, and each right for that one person, but not exactly right for anybody else. There have been occasional proposals to define "prog" statistically - that the more attributes such as odd meters, meter changes, key changes, extended harmony, jazz-oriented improvisation that a song, album, or band's body of work has, the more likely it is to fit under the "prog" umbrella. But nobody has seriously tried to compile such a list of attributes and formally codify such a definition.

With that said, I'll stick my neck out and say that "avant-prog" tends to have a more "difficult" or "advanced" musical vocabulary: "angular" melodies with large jumps; highly chromatic harmony often involving such 20th-Century classical developments as extended tonality, polytonality, or atonality; irregular or cross-metered rhythms; extreme extensions of song structure, sometimes going completely outside that form and toward through-composition; and improvisation borrowing from similarly advanced jazz. It may not have all of those qualities, but it usually has several. It tends to have a lot of dissonance, and to require repeated listening to absorb or understand, but the best of it can stand up to repeated listening.
    Well you are right: defining these things is like opening can of worms. Slightly disgusting but still quite interesting

And your description of avant-prog is very good I think. At least I am not going to argue with it!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I'm digging on Bobby D.'s 13 Songs and Thing right now.
    Yeah buddy! Was listening to that myself yesterday. 'Ten for a Dime' particularly stands out for me, fecking whopper of a tune.
    Just received a CD copy of 'What Day Is It?' from Guy Segers Bandcamp store there today!

He's released a new tune on his Bandcamp page, Phantom Hounds of East Anglia, which is fantastic:
    https://bdstudio.bandcamp.com/track/...of-east-anglia

Really excited about the new record, which he has mentioned he is writing using sheet notation before recording it.
    This one was also written like that: https://bdstudio.bandcamp.com/track/quintet-1-12-2018
    I feel like with this method it could be potentially Bob's most "RIO" record!

The Shunned Country and Bob's Drive-in are the two I return to the most, but I dig them all. And yes, Ten for a Dime is a solid track, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    Really excited about the new record, which he has mentioned he is writing using sheet notation before recording it.
    Interesting. This is very new for Bob - for decades, he's been known both for having a great ear, and for being completely unable to read music.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Interesting. This is very new for Bob - for decades, he's been known both for having a great ear, and for being completely unable to read music.
    Yeah he's more than mastered that at this stage! I very much understand if he's looking to a different process to switch things up. The ear definitely will play as big a role regardless in the end as he is of course not only a musical master but engineering master

Bob's the man....I mean bear.....I mean man!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Lumpy Gravy - Frank Zappa. Half a century later it sounds more avant than a lot of the music we're discussing here.

But I forgot that it's not Prog, because Prog was invented a couple of years later by Roberto Frippo. So it has to be...ehm...Psych. Yes, most probably Psych.

Fripp didn't invent prog. Queensryche did. Duh.

Fripp invented Prog?...No wonder he's so uptight.

Fripp didn't invent prog. Queensryche did. Duh.
    Is it ok in an avant thread to say that I actually like the first 3 Queensryche albums a lot, or do I have my avant-license withdrawn forever?

Do it, man. There are no "guilty pleasures". We like what we like and have the right to do so. If somebody gives you shit because of something you enjoy that does not harm themselves or others, fuck 'em.

Plus, they invented prog, so you might win the prog contest after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Youze dickheads needz some rough stuff taput da mofo progfo inda right fight.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Youze dickheads needz some rough stuff taput da mofo progfo inda right fight.
    My priest said the same thing. Then he threw up on me. Then we listened to every Xenakis album ever made simultaneously. Then we baked cherry turnovers.

^There's Talisker-weekend goin' on here, Frankieboy. But I'm actually listening to Italian 2000s lympho.

Hoping it brings me some nympho tonite, but I'm usually not alrite so life is coming on tite and nuthin' seems brite and I'm chewing over too much bite and my f'n pride isn't enuff white and I want, y'know, zum Barry.

It's long. It's a song. You can't go wrong. Tickles my dong.

And I grew up with it. My dad used to play it in his car. Incessantly. I still luv it.

Who can't dig Barry White.....

New Rascal Reporters tune! Full song stream on CD Baby:

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/rascalreporters6
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by auxfnx; 02-20-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Currently listening the debut album of The Science Group A Mere Coincidence (1999) that includes old Henry Cow veterans Chris Cutler and Fred Frith. And let's not forget Bob Drake! Anyway...this is some dense music! I am not exactly loving this (yet anyway!) but this is really interesting stuff. I also have second album Spoors (2003)but that I haven't had many changes to listen yet.

Any thoughts about The Science Group? And who the heck is this composer/keyboardist Stevan Tickmayer? What else good he has done?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Currently listening the debut album of The Science Group A Mere Coincidence (1999) that includes old Henry Cow veterans Chris Cutler and Fred Frith. And let's not forget Bob Drake! Anyway...this is some dense music! I am not exactly loving this (yet anyway!) but this is really interesting stuff. I also have second album Spoors (2003)but that I haven't had many changes to listen yet.

Any thoughts about The Science Group? And who the heck is this composer/keyboardist Stevan Tickmayer? What else good he has done?
    The Science Group are great! The first album with vocals is fantastic but did take a while for me to come to grips with!
    BD's bass on the album is so badass, especially on Chimera and Parity. Very inspired by his Chris Squire ULTRA style of playing.
    Last edited by auxfnx; 02-20-2019 at 08:15 PM.