Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Now I have to start another thread for Favorite Avant-Prog foods.
    Knödel. And Muffins.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Now I have to start another thread for Favorite Avant-Prog foods.
    Ethiopian, Korean, 'Middle Eastern', Nepalese......certainly not nachos with pump cheese
    I once had the idea to have a cookbook with a favorite recipe from a number of musicians. Too many of them, when I brought up the idea, seemed to eat a lot of tator-tots, so that was the end of that.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I once had the idea to have a cookbook with a favorite recipe from a number of musicians. Too many of them, when I brought up the idea, seemed to eat a lot of tator-tots, so that was the end of that.....
    I suppose that for musicians, Road Food might be the generic description. And a potential source for PTSD.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    ^ ^ ^ ^

Injera is a staple of Ethiopian cooking and is a bit like a very large, slightly sour, thin pancake made out of the grain 'tef' and is considered 'Ethiopian bread' and goes wonderfully with the generally spicy Ethiopian cuisine.

Don't pay attention to the philistines....
    Hey I is what I am!

Eat your greens
    Don't forget your beans & celery
    Don't forget to bring
    Your fake I.D.
    Eat a bunch of these
    MAGNIFICIENT
    With sauerkraut
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Sauerkraut!
    Eat a grape, a fig
    A crumpete too ...
    You'll pump 'em right through
    Doo-wee-ooo
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Back to the music!
    here is something that many have not heard, I would guess.
    A live-in-the-studio performance by the 1986 era 5uu’s on the radio. Loud, distorted and very rocking! A great performance of one of my favorite pieces from Elements!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Today's avant-prog purchases:

Absolute Zero: Crashing Icons (2000)
    Hamster Theatre: The Public Execution of Mr. Personality / Quasi Day Room: Live at the Moore Theatre (2006)

Absolute Zero I have never heard before so that is going to be interesting.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Back to the music!
    here is something that many have not heard, I would guess.
    A live-in-the-studio performance by the 1986 era 5uu’s on the radio. Loud, distorted and very rocking! A great performance of one of my favorite pieces from Elements!

That is super cool, never heard 5uus of this era live. Really like this version, also a favourite of mine from Elements!

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    That is super cool, never heard 5uus of this era live. Really like this version, also a favourite of mine from Elements!
    It's on weekly sales, go get it!

It's from a fairly obscure various artists comp of mostly SST-associated bands performing live on LA radio station KXLU called "Taste Test".
    I believe Sanjay K told me that even though this is instrumental, vocalist Curt Wilson was there and was singing, but they fucked up and didn't have his mic feed mixed into the sound being broadcast; I think the band could hear him in their headphone mixes, but we can't hear him!

Doesn't matter. Is great.

It's the only live track by the 80s 5uu's I've ever run across / heard.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It's on weekly sales, go get it!
    Already have Points of View bought via Bandcamp from a while back along with Elements on vinyl - this is a live version of one of the tracks though, check it out!

It's from a fairly obscure various artists comp of mostly SST-associated bands performing live on LA radio station KXLU called "Taste Test".
    I believe Sanjay K told me that even though this is instrumental, vocalist Curt Wilson was there and was singing, but they fucked up and didn't have his mic feed mixed into the sound being broadcast; I think the band could hear him, but we can't hear him!

Doesn't matter. Is great.

It's the only live track by the 80s 5uu's I've ever run across / heard.
    I thought it was cool hearing the vocal melodies on synth-only, would be cool to have a mix of the album like that too! Though the vocals on the first two records really give them an avant-Japan vibe to me.

Have you heard the rest of the compilation? Any other avant / experimental styles and artists on it like this?

Have you heard the rest of the compilation? Any other avant / experimental styles and artists on it like this?
    It's mostly punky and experimental punky SST-related stuff. Not without interest, but 5uu's stands out like a sore, avant-thumb!

1 –fIREHOSE Hear Me
    2 –fIREHOSE Relatin' Dudes To Jazz
    3 –Deborah Exit Fair-Weather Friend
    4 –Roger Miller Firehead
    5 –Screaming Trees Tales Of Brave Ulysses
    6 –Paper Bag* I Smoked Dope With Judge Ginsberg
    7 –Cat's Cradle City Of Junk
    8 –Brother Awest* Satan Music
    9 –Crimony Vampire Party
    10 –Lawndale Sasquatch Rock
    11 –Skinhorse Tom Sawyer's Got Cancer
    12 –Always August O My Mind
    13 –5uu's Resentments
    14 –Brother Awest* Our America
    15 –D. Boon Themselves
    16 –Wanda Coleman First Day Of Spring
    17 –Red Temple Spirits The Alchemist's Stone
    18 –Universal Congress Of High Time
    19 –Abominable (2) With A Wave
    20 –Freshly Wrapped Candies Peter Pan
    21 –D. Boon and the Stone Puppies Yes, Stephan, There Really Are Musicians From San Pedro
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

! Though the vocals on the first two records really give them an avant-Japan vibe to me.
    I am very fond of Curt Wilson's vocals on the 1st 5uu's stuff; he's not the world's greatest singer, but he's more than good enough for the task, and I agree with you that he gives the music a unique vibe.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

So how about Glen Medeiros getting the Trevor Horn treatment? Is it avant binge or just sympho binge?

I am very fond of Curt Wilson's vocals on the 1st 5uu's stuff; he's not the world's greatest singer, but he's more than good enough for the task, and I agree with you that he gives the music a unique vibe.
    While not the greatest singer in technical terms, he did possess a beautiful voice with some interesting assets to it - not least the timbre itself. Didn't he become a pop vocalist after his stint in the UU's?

I recall finding Elements on vinyl some five years back and having to let it go; it was that one or Egon Bondy (w. book) by The Plastic People, and I figured chances would be slim that the seller would be carrying the latter on return. So I got Egon. And then, when the guy returned in autumn, someone had bought Elements after all. And I was sad, distraught and genuinely upset.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

That clip was very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    While not the greatest singer in technical terms, he did possess a beautiful voice with some interesting assets to it - not least the timbre itself.
    You said it better than I did. He doesn’t sound like him, but I always sort of thought of Curt as 5uu’s’ Ray Collins.....

I don’t know about him becoming a pop singer.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

don’t know about him becoming a pop singer.
    I believe it was Dave K. himself who wrote that in this very place a many winters ago. And the comparison to Ray C. is spot on; while he was good enough in some of Zappa's early freakouts, his talents really shone (!) in pop ditties like "How Could I Be Such a Fool?" and "You Didn't Try to Call Me".

I suppose Curt W. was last heard in a 'progressive' context in that opening track on Motor Totemist Guild's City of Mirrors but dang! That's already 20 lengthy years back!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Now that we have bingeing this "avant-prog" I would be interested to hear how you define this sub-genre of progressive rock (or is it even a sub-genre or something completely different?). What are characteristics of music that need to be present for record or band to be called avant-prog?

I am currently trying to do my top-50 list of avant-prog albums and in some cases find it kind of difficult draw the line which record can be included. And yes I know this not very important but making lists is fun!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Now that we have bingeing this "avant-prog" I would be interested to hear how you define this sub-genre of progressive rock (or is it even a sub-genre or something completely different?). What are characteristics of music that need to be present for record or band to be called avant-prog?
    OK, first: This is a variant of the question, "What is prog?" Most of the people here have come to the consensus that, "What is prog?" has no definitive answer. Or, more accurately, that it has thousands or even millions of answers, each of them slightly different from any other, each consisting of one person's own definition, and each right for that one person, but not exactly right for anybody else. There have been occasional proposals to define "prog" statistically - that the more attributes such as odd meters, meter changes, key changes, extended harmony, jazz-oriented improvisation that a song, album, or band's body of work has, the more likely it is to fit under the "prog" umbrella. But nobody has seriously tried to compile such a list of attributes and formally codify such a definition.

With that said, I'll stick my neck out and say that "avant-prog" tends to have a more "difficult" or "advanced" musical vocabulary: "angular" melodies with large jumps; highly chromatic harmony often involving such 20th-Century classical developments as extended tonality, polytonality, or atonality; irregular or cross-metered rhythms; extreme extensions of song structure, sometimes going completely outside that form and toward through-composition; and improvisation borrowing from similarly advanced jazz. It may not have all of those qualities, but it usually has several. It tends to have a lot of dissonance, and to require repeated listening to absorb or understand, but the best of it can stand up to repeated listening.

I am proud to be the first person to post this in this thread....

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Nice.

My favorite part of this is that it has a key change.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Actually in most traditional and Folk music you have dissonant factors factors that don't resolve and that are outside of classic harmony . The hanging and dropping third as well as the minor seventh in American Folk are "very dissonant" but at the same time the trademark sound and not perceived as dissonant per se. Bach used dissonance a lot to creat tension which makes him far more interesting to my ears then let's say Mozart. Same for rhythm a lot of the traditional dances in eastern Europe have jawdropping rhythms which look completely weird in standard notation.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"