Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 462

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

  1. #26
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth a bit...

    Q: what do you folks think of Tim Hodgkinson's solo output? I'm still absorbing "Each In Our Own Thoughts" have had "Shams" w. Ken Hyder (saw the concert) which I spin rarely but somewhat enjoy and I've also heard some of his improvisational group avant group Konk Pack which I like. Any recommendations? I'd probably be more interested in hearing more of his compositional chops along the lines of "Living In The Heart Of The Beast" etc.
    I got "Each In Out Own Thoughts" only few months ago and haven't had time hear it much yet but it seems to be very strong material. As album it is maybe little bit uneven as there is different ensembles playing and even that midi-orchestrated piece.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    what do you folks think of Tim Hodgkinson's solo output? I'm still absorbing "Each In Our Own Thoughts" […] I'd probably be more interested in hearing more of his compositional chops along the lines of "Living In The Heart Of The Beast" etc.
    Each In Our Own Thoughts contains the closest ever to a HC reunion (save for Frith and Greaves) in "Hold to the Zero Burn, Imagine" (aka. "Erk Gah"). The rest of the album is stupendous as well, and I especially enjoy the string quartet and that electronic piece which ends it. But outside of his work with The Work (hee-hee!), Tim H. hasn't revisited rock territory.

    Pragma is hard-laden contemporary composition, beyond abstract or "atonal". It's still listenable, though - and the ensemble pieces in partiular. Sang is more of that, perhaps even quirkier. Of his improvisational work, Splutter (from '85) features some pretty bizarre bass clarinet honking, one of them apparently performed with a nose- rather than mouthpiece. It differs from Kenny G.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  3. #28
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    avant prog= Uncle Steve


    THANK you!!
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  4. #29
    Just got pulled into avant prog heavily over the last year or two, starting with the likes of Bob Drake, Cardiacs, 5uus, Thinking Plague etc!

    Over the past few months I've been heavily addicted to Rascal Reporters, who I found through Dave Kerman's contribution to their album Happy Accidents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NPEGGrNqrQ

    I have so much to explore still, but AVANT PROG is where its at!

    Been checking out a bit of the only Avant prog artist listed on Progarchives from Ireland, Jork, which is a very cool heavy avant record:
    https://jork.bandcamp.com/album/uneasy-truce

    Another recent discovery for me with a modern sound (and kind of indirect Cardiacs vibe) are a.P.A.t.T:
    https://apatt.bandcamp.com/album/fun-with-music

    And very much looking forward to the new album from Lost Crowns coming out later this month:
    https://lostcrowns.bandcamp.com/albu...ething-happens

  5. #30
    Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Divided Snakes of America
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Each In Our Own Thoughts contains the closest ever to a HC reunion (save for Frith and Greaves) in "Hold to the Zero Burn, Imagine" (aka. "Erk Gah"). The rest of the album is stupendous as well, and I especially enjoy the string quartet and that electronic piece which ends it. But outside of his work with The Work (hee-hee!), Tim H. hasn't revisited rock territory.

    Pragma is hard-laden contemporary composition, beyond abstract or "atonal". It's still listenable, though - and the ensemble pieces in partiular. Sang is more of that, perhaps even quirkier. Of his improvisational work, Splutter (from '85) features some pretty bizarre bass clarinet honking, one of them apparently performed with a nose- rather than mouthpiece. It differs from Kenny G.
    In that case I'll check it out thanks. I agree regarding Each In Our Own Thoughts, I actually sought it out based on the provenance, it seems a demanding and dense work and I definitely need more focused listening time. I don't think I get it yet afer a casual listen. Tim is definitely the "anti-Kenny G".
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

  6. #31
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    727
    I always thought that "g" in Tim HodGinson's name was reference to Kenny!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  7. #32
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    Another recent discovery for me with a modern sound (and kind of indirect Cardiacs vibe) are a.P.A.t.T:
    https://apatt.bandcamp.com/album/fun-with-music
    a.P.A.t.T are a lot of fun!
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  8. #33
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,688
    Meanwhile Kayodot churns away in the background.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

  9. #34
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,856
    Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post

    Another recent discovery for me with a modern sound (and kind of indirect Cardiacs vibe) are a.P.A.t.T:
    https://apatt.bandcamp.com/album/fun-with-music

    And very much looking forward to the new album from Lost Crowns coming out later this month:
    https://lostcrowns.bandcamp.com/albu...ething-happens
    a.P.A.t.T are outstanding, saw them live at RIO two years ago and they were one of the hits of the festival, loads of fun, they are playing RIO again this year.

    Lost Crowns is autobuy for me it's got a whole bunch of musicians I like on it and the samples sound great.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  10. #35
    Some punky avant prog (but I never see it labeled as such. Am I way off?)
    https://teramelos.bandcamp.com/album/trash-generator
    Last edited by auxfnx; 01-11-2019 at 12:47 PM.

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    Another recent discovery for me with a modern sound (and kind of indirect Cardiacs vibe) are a.P.A.t.T:
    https://apatt.bandcamp.com/album/fun-with-music
    This sounds extremely interesting, so thanks.

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ordering
    Cool. I agree that Eat and Punch by Charming Hostess are killer albums, and "essential" for the Carla K./SGM/Idiot Flesh fan.

    There are two 2 Foot Yard albums. Carla's album with that title on Tzadik and an album titled Borrowed Arms under the band name 2 Foot Yard. Get 'em both!

    If you dig Charming Hostess, I also recommend The Bowls Project. Mostly doesn't include the SGM members on the other records, but it's quite good and has Marika Hughes Shazad Ismaily from 2 Foot Yard on it, so there is some continuity.

    The acapella trio Charming Hostess record is good, and I saw that trio live, but I prefer the "band" albums.

    And, Carla's tune Tugboat on the first Book Of Knots album is stooooooooooopid good.

    OK, bye.

  13. #38
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,390
    Hello Gang!.
    Part of today´s binge:

    . Le Silo - 8.8.
    . Ahvak - Same.
    . Arrigo Barnabe - Clara Crocodilo.
    . Biota - Object Holder + Cape Flyaway..
    . Arteria - Cuatro Visiones.
    . Thinking Plague - In Extremis.
    . Ut Grets - Time of The Grets.
    . The Cellar and Point - Ambit.

    Good "Avant" day … today! (saturday)

    Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

    There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Cool. I agree that Eat and Punch by Charming Hostess are killer albums, and "essential" for the Carla K./SGM/Idiot Flesh fan.

    There are two 2 Foot Yard albums. Carla's album with that title on Tzadik and an album titled Borrowed Arms under the band name 2 Foot Yard. Get 'em both!

    If you dig Charming Hostess, I also recommend The Bowls Project. Mostly doesn't include the SGM members on the other records, but it's quite good and has Marika Hughes Shazad Ismaily from 2 Foot Yard on it, so there is some continuity.

    The acapella trio Charming Hostess record is good, and I saw that trio live, but I prefer the "band" albums.

    And, Carla's tune Tugboat on the first Book Of Knots album is stooooooooooopid good.

    OK, bye.
    I'd second the praise for the second 2 Foot Yard album in particular, but also the three Rabbit Rabbit Radio albums (now available on CD quite recently) and a must buy is Jeremy Flower's 'The Real Me' a fabulous album which features Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi on every track, so it sounds like a Rabbit Rabbit Radio album but with added orchestrations by Jeremy, who is a considerable composer. If you don't mind slightly dissonant brass (think of the brass arangements in 'Atom Heart Mother' ) then you'll love this. Probably my favourite album of all time (and I've been buying albums for 50 years now). https://jeremyflower.bandcamp.com/album/the-real-me

  15. #40
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    727
    Currently listening: MagmaMekanďk Destruktďw Kommandöh

    I just love vocal craziness of this album! And Vander's manic drumming of course!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    I'd second the praise for the second 2 Foot Yard album in particular, but also the three Rabbit Rabbit Radio albums (now available on CD quite recently) and a must buy is Jeremy Flower's 'The Real Me' a fabulous album which features Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi on every track, so it sounds like a Rabbit Rabbit Radio album but with added orchestrations by Jeremy, who is a considerable composer. If you don't mind slightly dissonant brass (think of the brass arangements in 'Atom Heart Mother' ) then you'll love this. Probably my favourite album of all time (and I've been buying albums for 50 years now). https://jeremyflower.bandcamp.com/album/the-real-me
    I agree that the Jeremy Flower album is outstanding. Rabbit Rabbit Radio I have yet to explore but thanks for the tip on the CDs. Physical media remain my preference, Luddite that I am.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  17. #42
    On the subject of leporids, anyone else like the Happy Little Hares?



    This album has become a bit of a favourite of mine, mixing avant and more mainstream styles together, always with a great sense of fun. Quintessentially Italian!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  18. #43
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,856
    Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    I'd second the praise for the second 2 Foot Yard album in particular, but also the three Rabbit Rabbit Radio albums (now available on CD quite recently) and a must buy is Jeremy Flower's 'The Real Me' a fabulous album which features Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi on every track, so it sounds like a Rabbit Rabbit Radio album but with added orchestrations by Jeremy, who is a considerable composer. If you don't mind slightly dissonant brass (think of the brass arangements in 'Atom Heart Mother' ) then you'll love this. Probably my favourite album of all time (and I've been buying albums for 50 years now). https://jeremyflower.bandcamp.com/album/the-real-me
    That Jeremy Flowers is excellent.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Art Zoyd is the only 'classic RIO-band' that i failed to get into. Somehow it does not make my blood rush any faster. I know I should try harder but there is just so much stuff out there that I do like that I lack the motivation.
    Thats your mistake, its not supposed to rush faster on AZ, it is supposed to give you the chills and freeze on its tracks!

  20. #45
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    On the subject of leporids, anyone else like the Happy Little Hares?

    This album has become a bit of a favourite of mine, mixing avant and more mainstream styles together, always with a great sense of fun. Quintessentially Italian!
    First time here:
    From what I heard, I like it and your description is elocuent: good music for a sunday morning!.

    Tankx!!.

  21. #46
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    I'd second the praise for the second 2 Foot Yard album in particular, but also the three Rabbit Rabbit Radio albums (now available on CD quite recently) and a must buy is Jeremy Flower's 'The Real Me' a fabulous album which features Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi on every track, so it sounds like a Rabbit Rabbit Radio album but with added orchestrations by Jeremy, who is a considerable composer. If you don't mind slightly dissonant brass (think of the brass arangements in 'Atom Heart Mother' ) then you'll love this. Probably my favourite album of all time (and I've been buying albums for 50 years now). https://jeremyflower.bandcamp.com/album/the-real-me
    Well, out of my “avant-radar” both Rabbit Rabbit Radio and Jeremy Flower:
    - Let’s do the homework -

    Tankx!

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Thats your mistake, its not supposed to rush faster on AZ, it is supposed to give you the chills and freeze on its tracks!
    Degrees of avantness:

    - blood freezes on tracks and liquid excrement appears on the underwear. A 13 on Gnosis.

    - blood runs faster and you bang your head on the wall until the wall collapses. A 14 on Gnosis.

    - blood appears on the tip of your ears and nose, as a symptom of severe internal cerebral hemorrhage. A 15 on Gnosis.

    -

  23. #48
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Degrees of avantness:

    - blood freezes on tracks and liquid excrement appears on the underwear. A 13 on Gnosis.

    - blood runs faster and you bang your head on the wall until the wall collapses. A 14 on Gnosis.

    - blood appears on the tip of your ears and nose, as a symptom of severe internal cerebral hemorrhage. A 15 on Gnosis.

    -


    That’s correct & well said my dear Zappathustra!!.
    Pura Vida!.

    There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

  24. #49
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,179
    Magma - Félicité Thösz & Slag Tanz
    Etron Fou Leloublan - Les Sillons De La Terre album
    ZNR - Barricades III

  25. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Degrees of avantness:

    - blood freezes on tracks and liquid excrement appears on the underwear. A 13 on Gnosis.

    - blood runs faster and you bang your head on the wall until the wall collapses. A 14 on Gnosis.

    - blood appears on the tip of your ears and nose, as a symptom of severe internal cerebral hemorrhage. A 15 on Gnosis.

    -
    This is precisely why we wear a pan on our head at all times.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •