Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516
Results 376 to 394 of 394

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

  1. #376
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    650
    Just listening fantastic album called FACE (2017) by gentlemen Pat Mastelotto and Markus Reuter.

    You say "whoah those dudes are not our revered avant heroes!". Well maybe not but I feel this album fits right into the "genre" as it is quite complex instrumental music without any compromises to commerciality and it is composed using kind of academic methods (which gotta make it AVANT!).

    If you are unfamiliar with the album I recommend reading this cool interview about it: https://www.innerviews.org/inner/pat...-markus-reuter
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  2. #377
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,546
    Was checking out another Lyon based band last night, Ça, noisy edgy jazz math rock. Good stuff.

    https://ecouteca.bandcamp.com/album/24615

    https://ecouteca.bandcamp.com/album/378
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  3. #378
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Just listening fantastic album called FACE (2017) by gentlemen Pat Mastelotto and Markus Reuter.

    You say "whoah those dudes are not our revered avant heroes!". Well maybe not but I feel this album fits right into the "genre" as it is quite complex instrumental music without any compromises to commerciality and it is composed using kind of academic methods (which gotta make it AVANT!).

    If you are unfamiliar with the album I recommend reading this cool interview about it: https://www.innerviews.org/inner/pat...-markus-reuter
    Samples are up on bandcamp but you can't buy it as download only.

    https://mastelottoreuter.bandcamp.com/album/face
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  4. #379
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    650
    Now listening: Stevan Kovacs Tickmayer : Repetitive Selective Removal Of One Protecting Group (2005)

    REALLY far out stuff by The Science Group maestro Tickmayer. Absurdly complicated music which I don't know if it even can be called avant-prog as it seems to be more related to the field of contemporary art music. Anyway, really interesting music but I have to admit that I don't know yet (after two listens) how much I really enjoy listening to it.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  5. #380
    Sean Noonan Pavees Dance - Tan Man's Hat, on RareNoise, to be released on March 29th

    Featuring first Can's singer Malcolm Mooney, Jamaaladeen Tacuma on bass (Ornette Coleman's Prime Time), Ava Mendoza on guitars and Alex Marcelo on keys, plus Sean Noonan on drums. Not exactly avant prog, looks like avant- XXX.



    __________________________
    www.musicforwatermelons.com

  6. #381
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    2,557
    ^ ^

    Jamaaladeen is great, Ava is great, Malcolm is a real wild card and I don’t think I know the other two. Sounds interesting!
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  7. #382
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Now listening: Stevan Kovacs Tickmayer : Repetitive Selective Removal Of One Protecting Group (2005)

    REALLY far out stuff by The Science Group maestro Tickmayer. Absurdly complicated music which I don't know if it even can be called avant-prog as it seems to be more related to the field of contemporary art music. Anyway, really interesting music but I have to admit that I don't know yet (after two listens) how much I really enjoy listening to it.
    Amazing album really. There is so much information being presented that I think a work like this is difficult to fully wrap your head around unless you give it the proper time and attention. Glad you're digging it.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  8. #383
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Was checking out another Lyon based band last night, Ça, noisy edgy jazz math rock. Good stuff.

    https://ecouteca.bandcamp.com/album/24615

    https://ecouteca.bandcamp.com/album/378
    This is great! Thanks for the tip.

  9. #384
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,167
    n.p.:
    Aksak Maboul (2 in a row!):
    - Onze Danses Pour Combattre la Migraine.
    - Un Peu de l'Âme des Bandits.

    Regards!.
    Last edited by TCC; 1 Week Ago at 12:19 AM.

  10. #385
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    n.p.:
    Aksak Maboul (2 in a row!):
    - Onze Danses Pour Combattre la Migraine.
    - Un Peu de l'Âme des Bandits.
    Of interest!

    From bandcamp:
    Aksak Maboul:
    “Get all 6 Aksak Maboul releases available on Bandcamp and save 30% ... .

    https://aksakmaboul.bandcamp.com/alb...re-la-migraine

    Regards!.

  11. #386
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,546
    Sample track from the upcoming PoiL album due April 26th

    https://poil.bandcamp.com/album/sus
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  12. #387
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    This slays, y'all need to get it:

    https://theflyingluttenbachers.bandc...ered-dimension

    If there's a better album in the "brutal prog" arena this year - well, it'll have to be something pretty f'ing amazing.
    Got it. It can turn people into flat-earthers. Because it flattens the Earth.

  13. #388
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    2,557
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Sample track from the upcoming PoiL album due April 26th

    https://poil.bandcamp.com/album/sus
    new POIL is great. A little less frantic but no less inventive.
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  14. #389
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    This slays, y'all need to get it:

    https://theflyingluttenbachers.bandc...ered-dimension

    If there's a better album in the "brutal prog" arena this year - well, it'll have to be something pretty f'ing amazing.
    Have to say I struggle with these guys, I got about 2/3 of the way through and had to go play something else to rest my ears.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  15. #390
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Have to say I struggle with these guys, I got about 2/3 of the way through and had to go play something else to rest my ears.
    Ian, coming from you that really is saying something.


  16. #391
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    new POIL is great. A little less frantic but no less inventive.
    First song sounded good and little bit calmer approach is welcome.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  17. #392
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Got it. It can turn people into flat-earthers. Because it flattens the Earth.
    I really thought this could be the Luttenbachers album to finally break through with the symph crowd. I mean look:

    1. It has Epitaph. Epitaph, dude!*

    2. There's a 21-minute prog** epic! With mellotrons*** and harmony vox!****

    Surely a five-star review in Porg magazine can't be long in coming?




    * Contents of Epitaphs may vary.
    ** Prog may have settled in transit.
    *** This is a lie.
    **** Complete bullshit I'm afraid.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  18. #393
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Have to say I struggle with these guys, I got about 2/3 of the way through and had to go play something else to rest my ears.
    I tend to treat it as an album of two sides (1-3 and 4-5) and listen to one or the other. Ingesting the whole 55 minutes at once may come with time and familiarity...
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  19. #394
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    2. There's a 21-minute prog** epic! With mellotrons*** and harmony vox!****
    The whole album is sick. But Mutation just doubles the stakes of sickness.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •