Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Full Let it Be movie now on Youtube..

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, I just completed listening to the first four days of the Twickenham sessions. All 18 hours or so. About 80 hours to go.
    Yikes. Is there like a website or someplace that has some index, or a track list or whatever, as to exactly what's contained therein? Is there like an entire album (or several?) of unreleased songs in there, or is it just mostly alternate takes, have remembered rock n roll covers, false starts, and banter? I remember reading that the reason Let It Be came out so lopsided was because "that was all Spector had to work with", as if to suggest that there just wasn't that much completed music recorded during the Get Back sessions.

I've never listened to much from those Nagra tapes but they weren't sessions in the normal sense...they were more like rehearsals. There's things like them running through 'All Things Must Pass', but IMHO Harrison's own version is far superior to this run-through.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I've never listened to much from those Nagra tapes but they weren't sessions in the normal sense...they were more like rehearsals. There's things like them running through 'All Things Must Pass', but IMHO Harrison's own version is far superior to this run-through.
    So, it's more a "historical curiosity", than something that most people would actually want to listen to? Something like the raw footage and outtakes that's on some of the Doctor Who DVD's. Ya know, something you'd play once and that's it.

For me The Beatles are the best band there ever was, but I wouldn't want to plough through all that even once.

The 2nd disc of Anthology 3 and the 'fly on the wall' bonus disc of Let It Be Naked have a miniscule sample of this behind the scenes material.

Other songs around were things like 'Gimme Some Truth' and 'Another Day' but I don't think these were played by them as a band. I forget.

FWIW the rooftop gig itself is pretty great. But it's not a gig in the normal sense, they do three versions of 'Get Back', for instance!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yikes. Is there like a website or someplace that has some index, or a track list or whatever, as to exactly what's contained therein? Is there like an entire album (or several?) of unreleased songs in there, or is it just mostly alternate takes, have remembered rock n roll covers, false starts, and banter? I remember reading that the reason Let It Be came out so lopsided was because "that was all Spector had to work with", as if to suggest that there just wasn't that much completed music recorded during the Get Back sessions.
    Yes, it's all rehearsals and working out the new songs. No recording sessions, just rehearsals. There are some great moments, for sure. A lot of working out the new material. And there are some great conversations, as well. But, to say it's a tedious listen is an understatement.

There are some nice jams, too. And some fun R&R covers. But the overwhelming majority is not something I would listen to at a party. It's an acquired taste.

And, there are some nice bootleg comps pulling the better material together. One pulls George's ATMP material together onto a very nice disc.

Other songs around were things like 'Gimme Some Truth' and 'Another Day' but I don't think these were played by them as a band. I forget.
    There's a nice bit where John and Paul are working out a very early version of "Gimme Some Truth." A number of Paul's solo work appears in early forms, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The thing about Let It Be the album is that about half of the songs (e.g. Let It Be itself, Long And Winding Road, Get Back, and maybe a couple others) are great, the others...not so much. It really always struck me as being very much a blatant attempt by EMI to keep the gravy train rolling, rather than being a "proper" album.
    I'm always going to bat for the orchestral additions to "Across the Universe," "Let It Be" and "The Long and Winding Road." Especially on the latter: it's effing BORING without the orchestra and the choir. People can complain that it's too pompous or whatever, but it's what the arrangements added melodically to the songs that makes the difference.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Banned
    l don't know if I prefer it, but I like the so-called psychedelic version of "Across the Universe" with sitar and tamboura. For years I had a bootleg version of that will all kinds of sound effects, backward tapes etc. but I think somebody must have doctored that version. Lennon later remarked in an interview that he was unhappy with the recorded official LIB version and even accussed McCartney of "sabotoging" it (at least unconsiously)!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    l don't know if I prefer it, but I like the so-called psychedelic version of "Across the Universe" with sitar and tamboura. For years I had a bootleg version of that will all kinds of sound effects, backward tapes etc. but I think somebody must have doctored that version. Lennon later remarked in an interview that he was unhappy with the recorded official LIB version and even accussed McCartney of "sabotoging" it (at least unconsiously)!
    I like the original version done for the World Wildlife Fund, although I think it was sped-up too much.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    The first-released version from the No-One's Gonna Change My World benefit album is the best. It's the same basic track but at a different speed and different overdubs. (Worth listening to The Hollies' 'Wings' which was also exclusive to that album...my favourite Hollies song ever!) Really it just doesn't belong to this Get Back period.

I don't like the 'arrangements' added to this or '...Winding Road'.

I think Lennon was around in the studios when Bowie did his cover of '...Universe' but I hate it.

I think Lennon was around in the studios when Bowie did his cover of '...Universe' but I hate it.
    Worst famous Beatles cover ever, IMO.

Worst famous Beatles cover ever, IMO.
    You've obviously never seen the Sgt Pepper movie. I think the worst Beatles cover I've ever heard, though I dunno if it's "famous", was Tiffany's version of I Saw Her Standing There, which of course had the pronouns amended to indicate that she's singing about a guy, because ya know she's "not like that", ya know (unlike, say, Joan Jett, who didn't amend the pronouns in the first couplet of Crimson And Clover).

You've obviously never seen the Sgt Pepper movie.
    Okay, aside from those. I should have meant ones that I cared about.

Just got through day 5 of the sessions and it ended with quite a highlight. It was the band with (I assume) Derek Taylor discussing the concert idea. It comes up every day, but here, Derek (?) keeps pushing them to vote on performing on large boat. The band is really debating this with George clearly against the "hassle" of the whole thing. "Then you're stuck on a boat with all these people for two weeks. At least, the other way, you can go home at the end of it." This goes on for a solid 20 minutes or so and you hear the band slowly talking themselves out of the whole thing. It's such an incredible glimpse into something I've only read about. VERY COOL!

Day 6 opens with Paul working on "Another Day" on piano and then working out "Long and Winding Road" before he has the second verse written. He has about half of the refrain. Really nice.

The most insane thing to me about these sessions is that the White Album had come out just a bit over a month before - after that intense period of productivity, for them to put themselves into this hot house environment with cameras aimed at them was pretty darned demanding.

I still love it though. Grateful for ANY Beatles recording. I'm geeking out very hard over the sessions discs in the Deluxe White Album - they were really in great playing form. Lennon's guitar on Honey Pie is outrageous!

^^ If you're referring to the lead guitar, that's Paul. That "Honey Pie" instrumental on the outtakes is actually very nice.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just got through day 5 of the sessions and it ended with quite a highlight. It was the band with (I assume) Derek Taylor discussing the concert idea. It comes up every day, but here, Derek (?) keeps pushing them to vote on performing on large boat. The band is really debating this with George clearly against the "hassle" of the whole thing. "Then you're stuck on a boat with all these people for two weeks. At least, the other way, you can go home at the end of it." This goes on for a solid 20 minutes or so and you hear the band slowly talking themselves out of the whole thing. It's such an incredible glimpse into something I've only read about. VERY COOL!

Day 6 opens with Paul working on "Another Day" on piano and then working out "Long and Winding Road" before he has the second verse written. He has about half of the refrain. Really nice.
    Ron, are you referring to the sessions material on the White Album deluxe reissue?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ron, are you referring to the sessions material on the White Album deluxe reissue?
    Nope, the Get Back/Let It Be Sessions from January 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I should have finished it last night, it's gone now.
    I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.. I still hold out hope that this will see the light of day at some point on DVD

^I'm sure it will. Those who have watched this YouTube version can now see there's nothing controversial in the actual film beyond the oft-circulated McCartney/Harrison row, which is already in the Anthology. The Savile Row sections are actually quite upbeat, yes.

There was talk of an expanded version coming out as a tie-in with Let It Be Naked but it didn't happen. I seem to recall Neil Aspinall saying that the rest of the footage was 'too raw'. But the original film should still have come out, in my view.

^^ If you're referring to the lead guitar, that's Paul. That "Honey Pie" instrumental on the outtakes is actually very nice.
    It's actually John (check out George's quote in the deluxe book, about how it sounds like Django Reinhardt - he specifically refers to it being John and how it was one of those instances where fingers just magically land in the right places). Paul just plays piano on the track - I don't have the book in front of me right now to confirm, but it sounds like the piano and guitar may have been laid down during the same live take.

George Martin's woodwind arrangement is fantastic too! I'm not enthusiastic about every one of Giles' new mixes on the album proper, but "Honey Pie" is one that he nailed. Everything sounds so rich and beautiful.

What modern band makes tracks like this? None!

Yeah I'm old!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    It's actually John (check out George's quote in the deluxe book, about how it sounds like Django Reinhardt - he specifically refers to it being John and how it was one of those instances where fingers just magically land in the right places). Paul just plays piano on the track - I don't have the book in front of me right now to confirm, but it sounds like the piano and guitar may have been laid down during the same live take.
    According to Lewishon, in "The Beatles Recording Sessions," the original basic tracks were laid down on October 1, with Paul on Piano, George on Bass, Ringo on Drums and John on guitar. But, then, the next day, there was an overdub session where Paul added the lead vocal and lead guitar. So, John's is the rhythm, it seems. And that seems to make more sense to me.

But, yeah, what a track. People tend to gloss over it as sentimental or a throwaway, but nobody could capture a bygone era like Paul.

"You are driving me frantic, sail across the Atlantic, to be where you belong."

What a great line.

Others have pointed out a lot of inaccuracies in Lewisohn's findings in that book, and Harrison's testimony that it was John is pretty compelling, but hey, I wasn't there :-)

So true about Paul. Just beautiful writing.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Others have pointed out a lot of inaccuracies in Lewisohn's findings in that book, and Harrison's testimony that it was John is pretty compelling, but hey, I wasn't there :-)

So true about Paul. Just beautiful writing.
    I guess it's hard to say what to believe, the memories of those who were there many years ago, or the guy who listened to all of the recording sessions and catalogued all the session notes.

BTW, Mike, have you read "Tune In"? If not, you need to.

There is this flamenco guitar flourish at the end of (I think) "Wild Honey Pie" that made me wonder which Beatle did that guitar thing. I was kinda wowed........Yes, I know it was a recorded sample from a Melotron.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    There is this flamenco guitar flourish at the end of (I think) "Wild Honey Pie" that made me wonder which Beatle did that guitar thing. I was kinda wowed........Yes, I know it was a recorded sample from a Melotron.
    Isn't the intro to Bungalow Bill also a Mellotron thing? I recall someone commenting that there was a King Crimson improv from 69 that was on one of the archival releases, where that guitar lick suddenly appears, and the question was whether they had a radio onstage or what the deal was, and it was explained that it was one of the "auto accompaniment" things that were part of the early Mellotron tape sets, apparently an attempt to take over the "home organ" market, and similar to what Casio and other companies did in the 80's with those little toy keyboards they used to sell at places like Sears.