Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Full Let it Be movie now on Youtube..

The original film is also coming out. This doesn't seem to be getting publicised.

https://pitchfork.com/news/peter-jac...umentary-film/

"After the film's release, a restored version of Michael Lindsay-Hogg's original Let It Be movie will also be made available."

I'm so glad the original will finally be available officially and I'd be interested to see the new version. I think a better film could be made out of that footage, for sure.

^^ I was just going to post that. Looks interesting and could very well render the "Let It Be" movie irrelevant, if it includes the rooftop performance.

EIDT: I posted the above before I read JJ88's post. Good news, IMO.
    Last edited by ronmac; 01-30-2019 at 09:08 AM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The original film is also coming out. This doesn't seem to be getting publicised.

https://pitchfork.com/news/peter-jac...umentary-film/

"After the film's release, a restored version of Michael Lindsay-Hogg's original Let It Be movie will also be made available."

I'm so glad the original will finally be available officially and I'd be interested to see the new version. I think a better film could be made out of that footage, for sure.
    Is this the version where the gollum kills his brother to have a first edition White Album and then Frodo has to trash it into Mount Doom and gets in return a mint copy of Trout Mask Replica by Gandalf ?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Is this the version where the gollum kills his brother to have a first edition White Album and then Frodo has to trash it into Mount Doom and gets in return a mint copy of Trout Mask Replica by Gandalf ?
    No, you're thinking of Lord of the Ring Wear.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No, you're thinking of Lord of the Ring Wear.
    Is this the one where Ringo looses his ring ?

The BBC article on the Jackson film mentions that The Beatles wanted to do a Lord of the Rings movie back in the day, with Paul as Frodo and John as Gollum! Apparently old JRR soon put a stop to that!...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47055236

This vaguely rang a bell with me...is this a well-known part of Beatles lore?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    The BBC article on the Jackson film mentions that The Beatles wanted to do a Lord of the Rings movie back in the day, with Paul as Frodo and John as Gollum! Apparently old JRR soon put a stop to that!...

I've heard of it before, but I have the impression that it was more a fleeting idea than anything that was ever seriously planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post

Oh my god just to think of John saying ( or singing) My precious, The Beatles having done a comedy version of LOTR, somwwhere betweem Spinal Tap and Help. So what roles for George and Ringo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've heard of it before, but I have the impression that it was more a fleeting idea than anything that was ever seriously planned.
    A joke after a smoke. A very fleeting idea....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Oh my god just to think of John saying ( or singing) My precious, The Beatles having done a comedy version of LOTR, somwwhere betweem Spinal Tap and Help. So what roles for George and Ringo?
    George would have been Gandalf and Ringo would have been Sam.

You could then have Mick and Keef as Merry and Pippin, Steve Marriot as Gimli, Marc Bolan as Legolas, Rick Wakeman as Galdadriel, Robert Plant as Aragon, Jimmy Page as Saruman and John Bonham as Boromir.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    George would have been Gandalf and Ringo would have been Sam.

You could then have Mick and Keef as Merry and Pippin, Steve Marriot as Gimli, Marc Bolan as Legolas, Rick Wakeman as Galdadriel, Robert Plant as Aragon, Jimmy Page as Saruman and John Bonham as Boromir.
    What? No role for David Bowie or Syd Barrett?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What? No role for David Bowie or Syd Barrett?
    Elrond and Tom Bombadil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEWpcBnjcz0
    This should be an interesting year if both films actually do get released..

In case it hasn't been mentioned:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...tary-let-it-be
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

^^ Yep, it was posted.

FWIW, I'm still listening to the Nagra reels. I'm about 78 hours in with about 20 to go. There are plenty of good moments to release.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have the Let it Be film as a bootleg dvd I managed to download several years ago from a torrent site. To me, the overall impression I get from watching it is ennui - even in the supposedly 'fun' bits where the band is running through old rock & roll songs in their rehearsal studio. However much it appears they're having fun, this is really the sign of a band falling apart as they've got nothing left to say to each other beyond wallowing in nostalgia, as they can't agree on anything else. Anyone who's ever been in that kind of band situation will know how excruciating it is to experience, and for me it's equally as painful to watch. It speaks volumes about the members of the Beatles that they actually managed to regroup after this and record anything nearly as good as Abbey Road. Make no mistake, though, if Let it Be shows anything, it's that by this time the band was already done.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I have the Let it Be film as a bootleg dvd I managed to download several years ago from a torrent site. To me, the overall impression I get from watching it is ennui - even in the supposedly 'fun' bits where the band is running through old rock & roll songs in their rehearsal studio. However much it appears they're having fun, this is really the sign of a band falling apart as they've got nothing left to say to each other beyond wallowing in nostalgia, as they can't agree on anything else. Anyone who's ever been in that kind of band situation will know how excruciating it is to experience, and for me it's equally as painful to watch. It speaks volumes about the members of the Beatles that they actually managed to regroup after this and record anything nearly as good as Abbey Road. Make no mistake, though, if Let it Be shows anything, it's that by this time the band was already done.
    It would have been interesting if they would have broken off to do their solo music and still keep "the Beatle thing going," as George put it during those sessions. But, honestly, considering the state of the band and all the other distractions, they might not have ended on such a high note.

But, yes, as disastrous as these sessions were, that they were still able to put what many consider to be their best album together after that is truly astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But, yes, as disastrous as these sessions were, that they were still able to put what many consider to be their best album together after that is truly astonishing.
    I think that has a LOT to do with the return of George Martin. Even apart from his formidable production skills--never more evident than on Abbey Road--his mere presence as a sort of headmaster figure gave the Beatles a sense of focus and discipline that was sorely lacking in the Let It Be sessions.

What's that version of 'Let It Be' which was on the Kum Back bootleg, with full band intro?
    That's the Glynn Johns Rough Mix from the reference acetate. That particular source was from a radio broadcast.

Count me in as an unabashed fan of Naked. The only thing I miss is George's solo on the song Let it Be from the Spector version.

January 28 sessions had some nice versions of John singing "I've Got a Feeling."

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Also the version of 'For You Blue' on these Get Back-related bootlegs is probably a better version than the one Spector used. However I guess you don't have the 'Elmore James got nothing on this baby' comments on there.
    Trying to remember...I think they're the same version, except that George overdubbed a new vocal with those ad libs on the version from the Spector album.

^Could be, the backing track is certainly very similar. But not a song I like that much anyway...especially when he had 'Isn't It A Pity' and 'All Things Must Pass' available.

They can't put any kind of revisionist gloss on Twickenham. It seems to have been a flat-out disaster. But by most accounts, Savile Row saw a great improvement in morale.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-02-2019 at 05:28 PM.

^^

I just finished listening to 97 hours of the Nagra tapes. Both the author and Jackson are correct. True, Jackson should be cautious not to rewrite history. And I see no indication that he will. Yet, Jackson is correct in stating that it wasn't as bitter and contentious as history claims. There was plenty of productive recording sessions and rehearsals. Sure there were problems and that is part of the story. But there was a lot of music and dialog that could make an entertaining presentation and be still historically accurate.