Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 129

Thread: Full Let it Be movie now on Youtube..

  1. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,405
    The original film is also coming out. This doesn't seem to be getting publicised.

    https://pitchfork.com/news/peter-jac...umentary-film/

    "After the film's release, a restored version of Michael Lindsay-Hogg's original Let It Be movie will also be made available."

    I'm so glad the original will finally be available officially and I'd be interested to see the new version. I think a better film could be made out of that footage, for sure.

  2. #102
    ^^ I was just going to post that. Looks interesting and could very well render the "Let It Be" movie irrelevant, if it includes the rooftop performance.

    EIDT: I posted the above before I read JJ88's post. Good news, IMO.
    Last edited by ronmac; 01-30-2019 at 09:08 AM.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The original film is also coming out. This doesn't seem to be getting publicised.

    https://pitchfork.com/news/peter-jac...umentary-film/

    "After the film's release, a restored version of Michael Lindsay-Hogg's original Let It Be movie will also be made available."

    I'm so glad the original will finally be available officially and I'd be interested to see the new version. I think a better film could be made out of that footage, for sure.
    Is this the version where the gollum kills his brother to have a first edition White Album and then Frodo has to trash it into Mount Doom and gets in return a mint copy of Trout Mask Replica by Gandalf ?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

  4. #104
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Is this the version where the gollum kills his brother to have a first edition White Album and then Frodo has to trash it into Mount Doom and gets in return a mint copy of Trout Mask Replica by Gandalf ?
    No, you're thinking of Lord of the Ring Wear.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No, you're thinking of Lord of the Ring Wear.
    Is this the one where Ringo looses his ring ?

    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

  6. #106
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    204
    The BBC article on the Jackson film mentions that The Beatles wanted to do a Lord of the Rings movie back in the day, with Paul as Frodo and John as Gollum! Apparently old JRR soon put a stop to that!...

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47055236

    This vaguely rang a bell with me...is this a well-known part of Beatles lore?

  7. #107
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    The BBC article on the Jackson film mentions that The Beatles wanted to do a Lord of the Rings movie back in the day, with Paul as Frodo and John as Gollum! Apparently old JRR soon put a stop to that!...

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47055236

    This vaguely rang a bell with me...is this a well-known part of Beatles lore?
    I've heard of it before, but I have the impression that it was more a fleeting idea than anything that was ever seriously planned.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    The BBC article on the Jackson film mentions that The Beatles wanted to do a Lord of the Rings movie back in the day, with Paul as Frodo and John as Gollum! Apparently old JRR soon put a stop to that!...

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47055236

    This vaguely rang a bell with me...is this a well-known part of Beatles lore?
    Oh my god just to think of John saying ( or singing) My precious, The Beatles having done a comedy version of LOTR, somwwhere betweem Spinal Tap and Help. So what roles for George and Ringo?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

  9. #109
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    2,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've heard of it before, but I have the impression that it was more a fleeting idea than anything that was ever seriously planned.
    A joke after a smoke. A very fleeting idea....
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Oh my god just to think of John saying ( or singing) My precious, The Beatles having done a comedy version of LOTR, somwwhere betweem Spinal Tap and Help. So what roles for George and Ringo?
    George would have been Gandalf and Ringo would have been Sam.

    You could then have Mick and Keef as Merry and Pippin, Steve Marriot as Gimli, Marc Bolan as Legolas, Rick Wakeman as Galdadriel, Robert Plant as Aragon, Jimmy Page as Saruman and John Bonham as Boromir.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    George would have been Gandalf and Ringo would have been Sam.

    You could then have Mick and Keef as Merry and Pippin, Steve Marriot as Gimli, Marc Bolan as Legolas, Rick Wakeman as Galdadriel, Robert Plant as Aragon, Jimmy Page as Saruman and John Bonham as Boromir.
    What? No role for David Bowie or Syd Barrett?

  12. #112
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,405
    I remember reading about that Beatles/LOTR thing in some book I read during the 90s. Think it would have been this, which was a Beatles bible of sorts when I got it out of a library then:

    http://www.45worlds.com/book/title/t...te-discography

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What? No role for David Bowie or Syd Barrett?
    Elrond and Tom Bombadil.

  14. #114
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEWpcBnjcz0
    This should be an interesting year if both films actually do get released..

  15. #115
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,762
    In case it hasn't been mentioned:

    https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...tary-let-it-be
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

  16. #116
    ^^ Yep, it was posted.

    FWIW, I'm still listening to the Nagra reels. I'm about 78 hours in with about 20 to go. There are plenty of good moments to release.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  17. #117
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ningbo, China
    Posts
    532
    I have the Let it Be film as a bootleg dvd I managed to download several years ago from a torrent site. To me, the overall impression I get from watching it is ennui - even in the supposedly 'fun' bits where the band is running through old rock & roll songs in their rehearsal studio. However much it appears they're having fun, this is really the sign of a band falling apart as they've got nothing left to say to each other beyond wallowing in nostalgia, as they can't agree on anything else. Anyone who's ever been in that kind of band situation will know how excruciating it is to experience, and for me it's equally as painful to watch. It speaks volumes about the members of the Beatles that they actually managed to regroup after this and record anything nearly as good as Abbey Road. Make no mistake, though, if Let it Be shows anything, it's that by this time the band was already done.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I have the Let it Be film as a bootleg dvd I managed to download several years ago from a torrent site. To me, the overall impression I get from watching it is ennui - even in the supposedly 'fun' bits where the band is running through old rock & roll songs in their rehearsal studio. However much it appears they're having fun, this is really the sign of a band falling apart as they've got nothing left to say to each other beyond wallowing in nostalgia, as they can't agree on anything else. Anyone who's ever been in that kind of band situation will know how excruciating it is to experience, and for me it's equally as painful to watch. It speaks volumes about the members of the Beatles that they actually managed to regroup after this and record anything nearly as good as Abbey Road. Make no mistake, though, if Let it Be shows anything, it's that by this time the band was already done.
    It would have been interesting if they would have broken off to do their solo music and still keep "the Beatle thing going," as George put it during those sessions. But, honestly, considering the state of the band and all the other distractions, they might not have ended on such a high note.

    But, yes, as disastrous as these sessions were, that they were still able to put what many consider to be their best album together after that is truly astonishing.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  19. #119
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But, yes, as disastrous as these sessions were, that they were still able to put what many consider to be their best album together after that is truly astonishing.
    I think that has a LOT to do with the return of George Martin. Even apart from his formidable production skills--never more evident than on Abbey Road--his mere presence as a sort of headmaster figure gave the Beatles a sense of focus and discipline that was sorely lacking in the Let It Be sessions.

  20. #120
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,405
    Something I've never understood. George Martin was there...so why didn't he put it together? Glyn Johns made a hash of it IMHO, so that was the point they should have brought him in, for me. But instead in comes Phil Spector, who made a mess of a different kind.

    I depart from many hard-liners in enjoying Let It Be Naked. Little niggles aside, I think it's as good a job as can be done with this material, bearing in mind Lennon had little material of use in January 1969 and Harrison's two songs are IMHO not that great.

    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    FWIW, I'm still listening to the Nagra reels. I'm about 78 hours in with about 20 to go. There are plenty of good moments to release.
    What's that version of 'Let It Be' which was on the Kum Back bootleg, with full band intro? That's an excellent performance with no screw-ups (unless there's something with the lyrics I've forgotten), but it has never had an official release. Never been sure of its provenance, really.

    Also the version of 'For You Blue' on these Get Back-related bootlegs is probably a better version than the one Spector used. However I guess you don't have the 'Elmore James got nothing on this baby' comments on there.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-22-2019 at 11:49 AM.

  21. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    What's that version of 'Let It Be' which was on the Kum Back bootleg, with full band intro?
    That's the Glynn Johns Rough Mix from the reference acetate. That particular source was from a radio broadcast.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  22. #122
    Member Guitarplyrjvb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    391
    Count me in as an unabashed fan of Naked. The only thing I miss is George's solo on the song Let it Be from the Spector version.

  23. #123
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,405
    ^The reality is, it's their weakest crop of recordings IMHO. But ...Naked does a good job of papering over the cracks. I don't care for the likes of 'Dig It' and 'Maggie Mae'. Naked got rid of those.

    It's been pointed out to me elsewhere that the reason 'Don't Let Me Down' wasn't on Spector's version is probably because it had already been on the US Hey Jude album. But I suppose he could have done what they did on ...Naked and did a splice of the two rooftop performances of the song.

    Abbey Road is my favourite Beatles album as well.

  24. #124
    January 28 sessions had some nice versions of John singing "I've Got a Feeling."
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  25. #125
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,762
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •