Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 129

Thread: Full Let it Be movie now on Youtube..

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,368
    I've come around to the one which got bootlegged as Kum Back- I like the slightly different (and rather good) arrangement of 'Let It Be'. It only has what was actually done in January 1969, so I find it the most honest document of the period. But some very sloppy takes were chosen. I don't like Johns' second attempt very much at all.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I watched the Twickenham section last night and came to the conclusion that someone had dubbed the Nagra tapes on top of (most of) the original soundtrack....
    OK, you're gonna have to help me out here. I know what a Nagra is, a pro grade tape machine. I understand that, but what specifically are you talking about when you say "Nagra tapes" here? And how are they different from "the original soundtrack"?

  3. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,368
    IMHO they've redubbed the bootlegged tapes of the entire sessions (known as the Nagra tapes) onto the film's soundtrack. The film I have seen does not sound as clear as this and nor do the clips in the Anthology. In the YouTube comments someone notes that you can hear Harrison swearing which you couldn't before, again suggesting to me this is a 'new' audio track.

    I'm surprised that people haven't seen this film before. It has appeared and re-appeared on YouTube over the years.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    IMHO they've redubbed the bootlegged tapes of the entire sessions (known as the Nagra tapes) onto the film's soundtrack. The film I have seen does not sound as clear as this and nor do the clips in the Anthology. In the YouTube comments someone notes that you can hear Harrison swearing which you couldn't before, again suggesting to me this is a 'new' audio track.

    I'm surprised that people haven't seen this film before. It has appeared and re-appeared on YouTube over the years.
    Well,I've just never looked for it before. Anyway, after seeing the OP, I did a search for it on Youtube, it was something like the fifth or sixth entry, so I clicked on it, then activated Download Helper, so when I have sometime to spend with it, I'll sit and watch it. I reckon anything that's got George Harrison playing his rosewood Telecaster (very rare, and very heavy model variant) is worth seeing.

  5. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,368
    I also notice a couple of songs are in stereo...again that wouldn't be the case if this was the original 1970 film soundtrack audio.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I also notice a couple of songs are in stereo...again that wouldn't be the case if this was the original 1970 film soundtrack audio.
    Interesting. Yeah, that was before they started doing stereo audio in movies, wasn't it? I remember reading a comment Jimmy Page made, around the time The Song Remains The Same came out, where he talked about how difficult it was to make rock music sound good in a cinema, because the audio systems in those days really weren't adequate. I know I've read stories about how theaters that showed Woodstock or The Grateful Dead Movie had to be specially kitted out to accommodate their respective initial theatrical runs.

  7. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,368
    Yeah later on in the film the patchwork quilt of different audio sources becomes more apparent. But still, a good attempt.

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    OK, you're gonna have to help me out here. I know what a Nagra is, a pro grade tape machine. I understand that, but what specifically are you talking about when you say "Nagra tapes" here? And how are they different from "the original soundtrack"?
    The Nagra tapes are the entire sessions. They were taped on two machines. Machine A was in 16-minute sections (the length of the tape) and Machine B was for fillers while tapes were being changed on machine A.

    They were planned to be used for the movie soundtrack.

    When the entire recordings made it into the trading circles, all compiled and stitched in order, it was called A/B Road The Nagra Tapes.

    There's more than 90 hours.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  9. #34
    Thanks for posting this. I was in the middle of watching The Fixx in concert, but that will still be around. I need to watch this right now.

  10. #35
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    In the YouTube comments someone notes that you can hear Harrison swearing which you couldn't before, again suggesting to me this is a 'new' audio track.
    So it wasn't just me. It's been decades since I've seen the whole movie, but I wondered why I didn't remember George dropping f-bombs, which would surely have aroused comment at the time. I also thought the piano and lap steel on "For You Blue" were quite conspicuously not what Paul and John were actually shown playing (and where was that bass coming from?).

  11. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,368
    ^Somebody somewhere has obviously dubbed various things on top of the original soundtrack. It's less obvious for those who haven't seen the film before, and it's not too bad a job.

    If you listen to the 'Octopus' Garden' runthrough it's marred by digital clicking for a bit, akin to 'disc rot'.

    Even on the original I think there was an issue with audio not matching what is on the screen? Maybe this or Anthology, I forget which.

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Even on the original I think there was an issue with audio not matching what is on the screen?.
    Well, that happens in virtually every music related movie (well, not count "musicals", ya know, I'm talking about concert films, and things like that). There's always at least bit that's out of sync. Sometimes, it's because they film multiple nights, and mixed the audio and video from nights (as in We Will Rock You, where Freddie's lips don't match up to the vocal for like 2 seconds during Killer Queen, I think it is).

    Other times, it's because the director took artistic license and used a particular shot from elsewhere in a performance because the shot that the director wanted wasn't available for that particular bit.

    A lot of concert videos, they also insert footage not from the concert, but from either soundcheck or something that was staged later, to get closeups and whatever. The Song Remains The Same has a lot of footage that was actually shot on a soundstage, that looks nothing at all like the actual Madison Square Garden footage. So if they decide to do some inserts, say of a guitar solo, and the guitarist doesn't play exactly what he/she did during the concert, it won't match up to the audio.

    And then sometimes it's because they do overdubs in the studio after the fact. In Rainbow Bridge, there's a shot during the performance footage, where you can see Jimi's lips are in sync, but Mitch's drumming isn't (i.e. they're both in the same shot, one of them is in sync but not the other). Apparently, there was a problem with the live drumming on the master tape, so Mitch had to go in and re-do his drums, and played totally different stuff to what he did onstage.

    The only concert films I've ever seen that didn't have out of sync bits were, I think, The Grateful Dead Movie (actually, there is one bit, where near the end of Sugar Magnolia, just before the long pause before they go into the Sunshine Daydream coda, but it's a shot of the entire stage, from back in the crowd, it's only like 10 seconds long and you have to be watching really close to notice it) and The Last Waltz.

    I also remember on the audio commentary of THe Kids Are Alright, Jeff Stein talks about how they "cheated" during the Monterey Pop bit, where they used shots from, I think Substitute, during My Generation, because those were the shots he wanted to use, and they weren't available in the actual footage shot during My Generation (gee, thanks a lot, Pennebaker!). He said that John Entwistle (who was producing the musical portions of the film) had to watch it about three times before he realized that in some of the shots, he was playing a completely different song to what was on the audio!

  13. #38
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    2,917
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Somebody somewhere has obviously dubbed various things on top of the original soundtrack. It's less obvious for those who haven't seen the film before, and it's not too bad a job.

    If you listen to the 'Octopus' Garden' runthrough it's marred by digital clicking for a bit, akin to 'disc rot'.

    Even on the original I think there was an issue with audio not matching what is on the screen? Maybe this or Anthology, I forget which.
    TBH, my memories (dating from the late 70's or early 80's) are somewhat different of what I saw last Friday, including on the recalling of events or the unfinished state of the songs they were working on.
    FTM, I thought it was filmed during the recording sessions and not in rehearsal or compositional construction sessions. I guess Alzheimer strikes again.

    I also didn't remember the colour of the walls: I seem to remember they were very white throughout the first part
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The album is pretty bad compared to the previous albums, and this footage didn't do much/anything to change my view.
    The thing about Let It Be the album is that about half of the songs (e.g. Let It Be itself, Long And Winding Road, Get Back, and maybe a couple others) are great, the others...not so much. It really always struck me as being very much a blatant attempt by EMI to keep the gravy train rolling, rather than being a "proper" album.

  15. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,368
    I do not really like Phil Spector did with it and found some of his decisions bizarre- how do you leave off the only substantial Lennon song from the period, 'Don't Let Me Down'? The good things he did were to tighten up 'Dig A Pony', extend 'I Me Mine' and generally chose better takes than Glyn Johns did. But the finished product falls far short of what they did with George Martin.

    ...Naked is, despite the title, no more 'honest' than Spector's, but I like the fact it just focussed on the songs so made for a more focussed listen.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-14-2019 at 12:20 PM.

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I do not really like Phil Spector did with it and found some of his decisions bizarre- how do you leave off the only substantial Lennon song from the period, 'Don't Let Me Down'? The good things he did were to tighten up 'Dig A Pony', extend 'I Me Mine' and generally chose better takes than Glyn Johns did. But the finished product falls far short of what they did with George Martin.

    ...Naked is, despite the title, no more 'honest' than Spector's, but I like the fact it just focussed on the songs so made for a more focussed listen.
    Well, to be fair, "Don't Let Me Down" was released as a single and they tended to not have singles on the LPs. (Not an iron-clad rule, though, but that might have been his thinking.)

    I like the fact that he brought out the lead guitar on "Let It Be," which I am pretty sure is Paul. (I should know this, but I'm too lazy to look it up.) His style of playing had a bit more soul than George's.

    "Naked" was a missed opportunity.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  17. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,368
    'Get Back' and 'Let It Be' were also singles, even if not in these exact same versions. '...Winding Road' was a single in this same version. And 'Don't Let Me Down' was only a B side. I don't know what the thinking was, really.

    I've never been keen on any version of the album including 'Across The Universe'. It just doesn't really fit for me as the version chosen wasn't recorded in these sessions. One of my big criticisms of Naked was the continued inclusion of that track and that echo on the end.

  18. #43
    I should have finished it last night, it's gone now.

  19. #44
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I should have finished it last night, it's gone now.
    Bummer. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I notice that I can also no longer find the "NOT In the Court of the Crimson King" video (with "Fripp don't look here" on the screen while the album plays).

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I like the fact that he brought out the lead guitar on "Let It Be," which I am pretty sure is Paul. (I should know this, but I'm too lazy to look it up.) His style of playing had a bit more soul than George's.
    .
    Not so fast, Kolchak! That's George playing the guitar solos (there's two of them, one on the single version and a different take on the LP version) on Let It Be. Paul played piano and bass, Ringo played drums, Billy played organ, and John and Linda sang back up vocals (thank goodness Yoko didn't join in!).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 01-14-2019 at 09:46 PM.

  21. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Not so fast, Kolchak! That's George playing the guitar solos (there's two of them, one on the single version and a different take on the LP version) on Let It Be. That's a known fact. Paul played piano and bass, Ringo played drums, Billy played organ, and John and Linda sang back up vocals (thank goodness Yoko didn't join in!).
    I told you I was too lazy to look it up.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I told you I was too lazy to look it up.
    I didn't have to look it up (actually, I did, because I never knew that Paul overdubbed the bass, replacing the part that John played during the original session).

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I didn't have to look it up (actually, I did, because I never knew that Paul overdubbed the bass, replacing the part that John played during the original session).
    For years, I always thought it was George, simply because of the fact that he was the lead guitarist. Recently, I've reconsidered that, thinking that it sounds more like Paul's style. That's why I mentioned his playing had more soul. It seems that Paul bends strings more than George. But, I never went as far as looking it up, which is something I tend to do prior to making posts like that.

    I feel so ashamed.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    For years, I always thought it was George, simply because of the fact that he was the lead guitarist. Recently, I've reconsidered that, thinking that it sounds more like Paul's style. That's why I mentioned his playing had more soul. It seems that Paul bends strings more than George. But, I never went as far as looking it up, which is something I tend to do prior to making posts like that.

    I feel so ashamed.
    Well, I've messed up by not looking things myself, as well just having the wrong impression about certain bits of minutiae.

    Ya know, I never really thought about the differences between Paul and George's playing style. I think I knew it was George because when Cloud Nine came out, Guitar Player devoted a huge section of one issue to George and The Beatles. One of the articles was about "Beatles guitars" and in the course of that piece, there was commentary about who played which solo. I think that's where I first learned that all three of them are trading solos on The End, for instance.

    That's also where I learned that, for instance, ti's Paul playing the solo on Taxman, because the interviewer in the main piece asked George if that bothered him having Paul playing the solo on one of his songs. George said he was ok with it, because he didn't want to "mess up a chance to get one of my songs on the album", and he noted that he liked Paul's solo anyway, especially "that little sitar bit".

  25. #50
    Well, I just completed listening to the first four days of the Twickenham sessions. All 18 hours or so. About 80 hours to go.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •