Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweden vs Norway final showdown

Sweden vs Norway final showdown

So, we are frequently referring to Scandinavian rock bands, but we tend to forget that there can be quite some differences in between music from the Scandinavian countries.

Just giving a vague sketch of my thoughts, I tend to identify Swedish with perfectionism and gloom, while Norwegian more with passion and joy...within the gloom.

I don't want to over-extend myself here, waiting for some feedback to see if I've hit something...

So, do you also get a different vibe from music coming from these countries, and if you could press the button to annihilate or save one of these countries in the music context, which one would it be?

Just how unimportant is it, really?

Samla Mannas Manna!

Exit Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Samla Mannas Manna!

Exit Norway.
    You're not playing fair!

[and this is a band which to me is - at the same time - the epitomy and the complete negation of "Swedishness"]

And again, Denmark gets completely ignored.

[This observation comes to you from someone of Swedish descent. More smörgåstårta, anyone?]
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    And again, Denmark gets completely ignored.

[This observation comes to you from someone of Swedish descent. More smörgåstårta, anyone?]
    If it's any consolation, Denmark and Iceland will be allowed to file appeals with the judges, but admittedly, satisfaction may be a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If it's any consolation, Denmark and Iceland will be allowed to file appeals with the judges, but admittedly, satisfaction may be a long shot.
    And what about poor Finland! Are they no longer part of Scandinavia anymore?

Watch out for the hammer of the underworld.

Watch out for the hammer of the underworld.
    I thought Finland is not part of Scandinavia?

Christ, I need a scorecard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Just how unimportant is it, really?
    The Prog is very important man, didn't they tell you?

They tried to, but I was too busy thinking I was superior to "other music listeners" to pay attention.

Christ, I need a scorecard.
    Well, it depends who you ask.

Well, it depends who you ask.
    Finland is the new Pluto.

It isn't in, at least in Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
    However in English Scandinavia can sometimes refer to the Nordic countries, which includes Finland, Iceland and sometimes the Faroe Islands.
    And Greenland is not included despite it been part of the Nordic countries and an independent part of Denmark.
    So it's a more complex question than one might think.

Well huge differences also locally... Moon Safari (Skellefteå) vs Meshuggah (Umeå)
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Jazz/fusion is stronger in Norway (Rypdal, Garbarek, Molvaer etc) and Denmark. Prog more in Sweden IMHO.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Wobbler vs Anglagard
    The Prog Corner

Finland has never been part of Scandinavia. And it doesn't depend on who you ask. I live in Sweden. I am a Swede. Neither Swedes nor Finns consider Finalnd as part of Scandinavia simply because it isn't. Finland is part of what we call Norden (The Nordic countries) The Finns do not belong to the same cultural group or the same language group as the Scandinavian countries. Thar's like calling Belarus a Baltic State simply because it borders two of them.

However, Finland has some great metal bands. Haven't heard any Finnish prog though.
    Last edited by AndiSexgang; 01-09-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Here is the best band ever from Norway, the fantastic soft-atmospheric-experimental-metal band, The 3rd And The Mortal:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_3rd_and_the_Mortal
    Last edited by AndiSexgang; 01-09-2019 at 06:09 PM.

And this is the best band in Sweden. My girlfriend's old band. My friend Anders is the band's male singer

Luckily we're several dozens of folks in here already who know several dozens of progressive rock bands from each and every Nordic country, from Oceania, Asia, South-America, Eastern Europe, Southern Europe, the Middle East, the North American continents, hell, even from Africa.

No worries. It's all good and easy.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Personally I have always considered Scandinavia to include Finland (btw aprox. 10% speaks swedish, and a large number lives in Sweden), Island, Faroe Islands, Åland - I have friends in these regions.
    But you can debate this endlessly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

Apart from the interesting geographical debate, I would very much appreciate some comments that are more to the point of what I am suggesting, and particularly by members that are part of the aforementioned geographical region. Of course I am not implying any ethnological or racial determinism, but I am quite curious about the cultural differences among the Scandinavian countries (Finland and Denmark included if you wish) and how they are mirrored - if they are mirrored - in the music coming from these countries.

Sweden seems to have a great 70's tradition in psych and folk, whereas the Norwegian music that I am aware of is closer to the experimental jazz ideal.

Nowadays, what strikes me as a difference is that music coming from Sweden seems very concentrated in executing a specific, strategic plan in the most convincing technical way, while stuff that comes from Norway seems more open to the arbitrary factor and more fun to listen to. This is very coarse of course and doesn't apply to every band, it's just a feeling I am getting.

Anyway, any feedback will be gladly appreciated.

^ I'll be bringing a more elaborate contribution later on today, but for now: Scandinavia, etymologically in academic geography, consists of Sweden, Norway and Denmark. Together with Iceland, Finland and the Faroe islands (as pointed out earlier), Scandinavia makes out the so-called Nordic countries in Europe. However, since the disintegration of the Soviet Union, there are even some who propose to hold the Baltic states as part of the Nordic countries; partly due to lingual reasons (Finnish-Ugrian/Magyar tongue in Estonia), but also because of Baltic settlements in Sweden and Finland. Being a historian myself, I'd say Scandinavia has three countries, the Nordic countries thus being six - while the "Nordic region" arguably also includes the Baltic and even Greenland/Sume.

As for the musical aspect, I'll chime in this evening.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

There are so many exceptions to the generalizations one could make, so it is a bit difficult.

The danish are generally considered the italians of scandinavia. Not musically, just that we dont care for rules or morality as much as the swedes and norwegians.
    This could account for that the danes music is not as much a reaction against rules, laws and morality, art is not life & death, more characterless, sloppy, copycat stuff. One of the least religious countries in the world. We dont have mountains, easy to get around, no need for singing from mountain to the next mountain. No big forrest to get lost in either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    There are so many exceptions to the generalizations one could make, so it is a bit difficult.

The danish are generally considered the italians of scandinavia. Not musically, just that we dont care for rules or morality as much as the swedes and norwegians.
    This could account for that the danes music is not as much a reaction against rules, laws and morality, art is not life & death, more characterless, sloppy, copycat stuff. One of the least religious countries in the world. We dont have mountains, easy to get around, no need for singing from mountain to the next mountain. No big forrest to get lost in either.
    Yes, thank you, that's the kind of feedback I am looking for. And of course it's generalizations, and any intelligent person I believe understands this.