Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sweden vs Norway final showdown

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Also, I think this must be local or something. The whole premise of the tv show Broen wouldn’t work if Swedes and Danes flat out didn’t understand each other. And just as an example, my wife just attended an academic seminary where Danes, Swedes and Norwegians all lectured and discussed in their native tongue and it all worked fine...
    Well it wouldn't work without subtitles, that's why it is subtitled. I think as a Norwegian you are too "close" to Danish to truly understsand that the vast majority of Swedes simply do not understand spoken Danish. Some Swedes in Skåne do but most don't. Sorry but I think "worked fine" is a bit of a stretch, because I work as a Swedish teacher and in the colleges and schools where I work visiting Danes (not that we have many, traffic is usually the other way) speak in English because they are asked to by the Swedes. I can't stress enough that we do not understand spoken Danish, and we especially don't allow it in professional settings where misunderstandings aren't acceptable and are easily avoidable by getting the Danes to speak English. I think, and maybe you have encountered this too, I know I have, that a big part of the problem is that Danes think that Swedes understand Danish. I've been in Denmark many times and I always have to speak English. But why would we understand spoken Danish? Most of the vocabulary is completely different or at least pronounced very differently, Swedes don't study Danish, and don't have instant translation skills when listening to Danes speak. But I'm not going to go on about it anymore. I'll just leave you with an incident that happened on Gran Canaria a few years ago when I was on holiday, when the tour guide on the bus was asked by the Swedes on the bus to speak English because no one understood her.
    Last edited by AndiSexgang; 01-14-2019 at 07:18 PM.

This has gone completely off-topic, which is ok, the discussion takes its own course. Apparently there's not much for others in the original question. I received 4-5 sentences that were to the point of what I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    So, we are frequently referring to Scandinavian rock bands, but we tend to forget that there can be quite some differences in between music from the Scandinavian countries.

Just giving a vague sketch of my thoughts, I tend to identify Swedish with perfectionism and gloom, while Norwegian more with passion and joy...within the gloom.

I don't want to over-extend myself here, waiting for some feedback to see if I've hit something...

So, do you also get a different vibe from music coming from these countries, and if you could press the button to annihilate or save one of these countries in the music context, which one would it be?
    To answer your original Q then, I would keep Sweden, for the obvious cultural connection I have to Swedish bands, and the emotions I feel when they sing in Swedish and especially when they sing about our beautiful forests and lakes and so on. That said though, I get the same feelings from some Norwegian bands but only when they sing in English. I listed a few earlier in the thread. So I would actually keep both.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    This has gone completely off-topic, which is ok, the discussion takes its own course. Apparently there's not much for others in the original question. I received 4-5 sentences that were to the point of what I asked.
    Apparently too complicated. Interesting subject though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Apparently too complicated. Interesting subject though.
    I don't think it is complicated at all, I think the reason is quite simple in that perhaps most people who like skandimusik love bands from both countries and can't split them as requested and/or don't see the point of the Q or feel the need to answer it. We have Norwegian bands playing in my home town regularly and we don't even consider them as being foreign or different to Swedish bands. We also have a handful of mixed bands here, after all the Norwegian border is only an hour's drive from my town.

Of course there are bands that sounds so anonymous or international that you cant hear where they are from.
    They are not interesting for the discussion here.

E.g. Who cares where Yngve Malmsten comes from.

That's not my point though. The last prog-psych band I saw in Sweden, just before xmas, were very unique, seven youngsters (all under 25) on a little stage in a small club in a friend's record shop: 4 Swedes, 1 Norwegian, and a brother and sister from Germany (studying at the uni). My point is that even with interesting bands where the band or its members come from is largely irrelevant, especially if they are playing a style of music that isn't traditional or local for where they are playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    My point is that even with interesting bands where the band or its members come from is largely irrelevant, especially if they are playing a style of music that isn't traditional or local for where they are playing it.
    That's fair enough, and it does answer my question, although I don't really agree. Mr Zeuhlmate on the Norway thread stated that he can understand the origin of a Swedish or a Norwegian band. Was he referring to the respective accent of the singer, or to cultural differences that sometimes show in the music?

As for my part, at least for more recent music, I believe that the element of calculation is more visible on the Swedish output. The Anglagard vs Wobbler antithesis that someone suggested could be a coarse example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Just how unimportant is it, really?

Banned
    Jag kan inte undersand detta alls. Det er et spild af tid. La oss snakke om musikk! Förlåt mig

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    +2

I could post Ernst-Hugo Järegård shouting “Dansk jävlar!” here, but that might go over badly, especially for any Danes just tuning in.

But seriously, I’ve been studying Swedish for the last year or so, and I am surprised at how much Danish I understand now. It’s like they’re speaking Swedish with a very thick accent. Even Icelandic is becoming surprisingly comprehensible to me. I mean, I was listening to Hinn Islenski Þursaflokkur, and I distinctly heard “Här är gott att dansa*,” and that was without even consulting the lyric sheet.

*all right, that’s clearly not the Icelandic spelling, but still, I’m surprised that there was a 1:1 correlation for a complete sentence between two languages that developed down separate paths from Old Norse.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The Danes love Ernst-Hugo Järegård shouting “Dansk jävlar!

No, worries !

Oh, what the Hell!

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...