Thread: Please... any answers to these questions?

Please... any answers to these questions?

Another mid-week already!

A couple questions. This one just jumped out at me as twice, in recent times, I have heard the phrase 'need some HEAVY rest' in lyrics. An Alice Cooper song as well as lyrics in a song by Van Morrison. An Englishman and one from the USA... so the lyric doesn't suggest something privy to a nation or culture? I'm almost 58 and I do not recall the lyric being used in day to day conversations. Did I miss it by a few years?

Second: I have a mind to once again do some of my music listening with headphones. I cannot find a headphone plug in port on any of my stereo equip. WHAT does it all mean??

Carry On

Chris Buckley

Van the man would no doubt object in his usual curmudgeonly way to being called an Englishman, he is a Belfast boy and thus an Ulsterman

I would just take this lyric to mean they need a prolonged period of rest and not just a mere 40 winks!

As for the headphones it's the way of modern tech, everything is going bluetooth it seems, I had to relent and get a set of Beats headphones for the commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Van the man would no doubt object in his usual curmudgeonly way to being called an Englishman, he is a Belfast boy and thus an Ulsterman
    That's SIR Van The Man, OBE, to you, punk! Seriously, Wikipedia gives his official name and title as Sir George Ivan Morrison, OBE. So he can't be too upset about being associated with the Empire if he accepted not one but two honorifics bestowed upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's SIR Van The Man, OBE, to you, punk! Seriously, Wikipedia gives his official name and title as Sir George Ivan Morrison, OBE. So he can't be too upset about being associated with the Empire if he accepted not one but two honorifics bestowed upon him.
    Indeed, that's quite a respectable haul of honours! He clearly falls on the side of Northern Irishmen that cherish the union, and so perhaps the Knighthood temporarily put a smile on that often clouded visage

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Another mid-week already!

A couple questions. This one just jumped out at me as twice, in recent times, I have heard the phrase 'need some HEAVY rest' in lyrics. An Alice Cooper song as well as lyrics in a song by Van Morrison. An Englishman and one from the USA... so the lyric doesn't suggest something privy to a nation or culture? I'm almost 58 and I do not recall the lyric being used in day to day conversations. Did I miss it by a few years?

Second: I have a mind to once again do some of my music listening with headphones. I cannot find a headphone plug in port on any of my stereo equip. WHAT does it all mean??

Carry On

Chris Buckley
    Curious which Alice Cooper song you are referring too? I own all things Cooper, but that is not ringing a bell with me.

Hello Again ~

To answer your question Steve first let me clarify that I have all the Alice Cooper (band) releases up until the first solo? output. ACBand was a favorite of a good buddy back in our youth but I didn't fully absorb the releases until well into my music listening adulthood. Point being is that I do not know the releases, inside and out, like many others that I was in to early on. I do believe that the lyrics might just state 'need some rest' rather than 'heavy' rest …. and the song is definitely on one of the ACBands releases. Which one???? Still - the lyrics just sound like there may be some hidden meaning perhaps!? To my ears anyway!

That's all I've got
    Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I own all things Cooper, but that is not ringing a bell with me.
    I know of at least 1 Alice Cooper thing you probably don't own. About a year or two ago, there was a Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram dealer here in North Scottsdale who would give away an Alice Cooper signed Squier Bullet guitar, with the purchase of a new car or truck. He did commercials for that dealership for quite some time even before that.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

'need some rest'
    it's in Ballad Of Dwight Fry

Hello Again ~

To answer your question Steve first let me clarify that I have all the Alice Cooper (band) releases up until the first solo? output. ACBand was a favorite of a good buddy back in our youth but I didn't fully absorb the releases until well into my music listening adulthood. Point being is that I do not know the releases, inside and out, like many others that I was in to early on. I do believe that the lyrics might just state 'need some rest' rather than 'heavy' rest …. and the song is definitely on one of the ACBands releases. Which one???? Still - the lyrics just sound like there may be some hidden meaning perhaps!? To my ears anyway!

That's all I've got
    Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    As Interbellum mentioned it is "The Balled Of Dwight Fry", but the lyric is just "need some rest" and not "heavy rest" which was your original question, and threw me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I had to relent and get a set of Beats headphones for the commute.
    Beats headphones suck. But then I haven't heard a Bluetooth headphone that didn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Beats headphones suck. But then I haven't heard a Bluetooth headphone that didn't suck.
    Indeed, they're way too bassey, even the wired models. They were intended for Hip-Hop which sounds better with boomy bass. I read somewhere they cost around $16.50 to produce, the rest is the $233.50 snob premium.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Indeed, they're way too bassey, even the wired models. They were intended for Hip-Hop which sounds better with boomy bass. I read somewhere they cost around $16.50 to produce, the rest is the $233.50 snob premium.
    Don't forget advertising costs - which, as for many consumer products, are far higher than the production cost. For example, they're the official headphone of the entire NBA. How much do you think that cost?

I seem to recall there was a news article on some site that detailed how whichever rapper it was who was the CEO of the company conned everyone into buying them. Even from hip hop fans I know, even they say they're not too good.

I have a set of earbuds that I bought when the headphone jack on my media player went wonky (as I knew it would). They're not bad. The thing I have issues with is the signal keeps cutting in and out. I have to hold the player in my hand above my belly for them to not cut in and out. And sometimes, it'll disconnect altogether, and then I gotta go into the menu on the player and reconnect them, though usually when that happens, it at least picks up where it was when it cut out, unless the player gets shut off first, then it loses the memory (though usually, it still knows what the last track I was listening to was before the power went out).

I also have a Bluetooth speaker made by a company called Anker, which I think paid something like 25 bucks, that's what I use for listening to music in the dry storage room at work. That's pretty good. If I put a little Deep Purple on, I have no trouble drowning out the Katy Perry and Sheryl Crow nonsense playing on the piped in music over the store PA.

Banned
    Yes, like Bose famous for marketing not for quality products.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I seem to recall there was a news article on some site that detailed how whichever rapper it was who was the CEO of the company conned everyone into buying them. Even from hip hop fans I know, even they say they're not too good.
    It was Dr. Dre, but he sold the assets to Apple...another company who grossly overcharge for their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Yes, like Bose famous for marketing not for quality products.
    The Bose Wave Radio does have a pretty amazing sound. I would never pay $600 for it though. I lucked out, finding one at Goodwill for $20. The CD drive quit working before it was donated, and I had to pull a jammed CD out with a pair of pliers. I couldn't care less however because I can't remember the last time I listened to a physical CD.