Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35

Thread: The Flower Kings - 2018 recap and look ahead to 2019

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    The show last night in Montreal was great. Solid set and everyone seemed in fine form. I believe it may be the same set they were doing a few months ago but I haven't had time to check.

    This is last night's setlist:

    Last Minute On Earth
    What If God Is Alone
    There Is More To This World
    The Truth Will Set You Free (with bass solo)
    The Flower King
    My Cosmic Lover
    Eyes Of The World
    Stardust We Are

    Encore:

    Life In Motion (excerpt from the ending)
    I Am The Sun

    Hopefully I didn't miss anything. I was enjoying several whiskeys, lol. The set was approximately 2 hours long.

    Leaving soon to see the QC show...
    Their set was shorter a few months ago because they shared the stage with Spock's Beard, so they played 75 minutes max. In Paris they played the first 4 tracks from your setlist, followed by Stardust, and I believe it was mostly the same setlist for that tour.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

  2. #27
    Good choice of encores. Glad Roine thinks it worth revisiting at least one track from The Sum of No Evil.

  3. #28
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,061
    Another great show last night in QC and it was the same set. For the Montreal show we were way in the back hanging out in the bar. Last night we were just a few rows back on stage left. From this vantage point it was easy to see how much fun the band was having. Roine seemed to talk more at these two shows than I recall seeing at past shows. Maybe he's just feeling thankful he can still do what he loves in a place where his music is appreciated.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Good choice of encores. Glad Roine thinks it worth revisiting at least one track from The Sum of No Evil.
    I thought the same thing.

    It seems that The Sum of No Evil is a bit underrated, IMO. That was probably my favorite CD by TFK.

  5. #30
    Member Rajaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Katy TX & Halifax Canada
    Posts
    220
    My very first Flower Kings show and it was an excellent show! I am not going into the set list since it has already been posted; the fans started lining up around half an hour before the doors opened, we all entered in orderly Canadian fashion, checked our coats and stormed to the front of the stage. My son and I nabbed a table 6 feet from stage left (Jonas' side). No merchandise what so ever nor did they sign anything but I did see some fans with their vinyl albums, my only regret.
    The show started at 8:00 sharp with the native chant announcing Last Minute on Earth. Like another fan said although I had never seen the FK live, Roine Stolt was very talkative. Roine welcomed everyone and did stress the fact that they would be playing mostly classic "old" songs which was fine with the fans who by the way I estimate a small crowd of 200 tops. Before the Eyes of the world Roine told the story how Hasse Froberg got into the Band and how he transitioned into playing guitar but mostly because he can hit the high notes "I can't" as Roine said. Also chatted about the FK taking time off while Jonas played bass with Steve Hackett and "so did I" he said jokingly and added "maybe all of the band members could play bass for Steve" and introduced of course Jonas, italian drummer Mirko Demaio and on keys the american Zach Kamins. And ended one of his chats saying "we take two year breaks, something the Beatles never did". So at the end Roine asked for any requests and "Stardust" was pretty much a given. Duration about 110 minutes with encore.

    Hope you like these I took with S9 plus

    The Flower Kings in Montreal 1c.jpg
    The Flower Kings in Montreal 1b.jpg
    The Flower Kings in Montreal 1a.jpg
    The Flower Kings in Montreal 1d.jpg

  6. #31
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    My very first Flower Kings show and it was an excellent show! I am not going into the set list since it has already been posted; the fans started lining up around half an hour before the doors opened, we all entered in orderly Canadian fashion, checked our coats and stormed to the front of the stage. My son and I nabbed a table 6 feet from stage left (Jonas' side). No merchandise what so ever nor did they sign anything but I did see some fans with their vinyl albums, my only regret.
    The show started at 8:00 sharp with the native chant announcing Last Minute on Earth. Like another fan said although I had never seen the FK live, Roine Stolt was very talkative. Roine welcomed everyone and did stress the fact that they would be playing mostly classic "old" songs which was fine with the fans who by the way I estimate a small crowd of 200 tops. Before the Eyes of the world Roine told the story how Hasse Froberg got into the Band and how he transitioned into playing guitar but mostly because he can hit the high notes "I can't" as Roine said. Also chatted about the FK taking time off while Jonas played bass with Steve Hackett and "so did I" he said jokingly and added "maybe all of the band members could play bass for Steve" and introduced of course Jonas, italian drummer Mirko Demaio and on keys the american Zach Kamins. And ended one of his chats saying "we take two year breaks, something the Beatles never did". So at the end Roine asked for any requests and "Stardust" was pretty much a given. Duration about 110 minutes with encore.

    Yes, that was a pretty funny moment when Roine suggested the other band members could also take their turns on bass in Steve Hackett's band. Jonas told a pretty funny (but not politically correct) joke in QC, but I won't repeat it here, lol.

    There was some merchandise for sale, but no TFK music. Only two albums by An Endless Sporadic. I picked up "Magic Machine". I'm only about halfway through it but it's pretty good. I wish I'd picked up the other one as well.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  7. #32
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    1,727
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I thought the same thing.

    It seems that The Sum of No Evil is a bit underrated, IMO. That was probably my favorite CD by TFK.
    I love the first two tracks, and of course track 2 is about 24 minutes long I think. Those are like classic Flower Kings, complex and melodic. After that I didn't connect so much for some reason, until the last track 'Life in Motion', which I enjoy. I'm not big on 'Last Minute on Earth', but the rest of the setlist is stellar.

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I love the first two tracks, and of course track 2 is about 24 minutes long I think. Those are like classic Flower Kings, complex and melodic. After that I didn't connect so much for some reason, until the last track 'Life in Motion', which I enjoy. I'm not big on 'Last Minute on Earth', but the rest of the setlist is stellar.
    Those were the tracks I liked most. The others took me some time to get to grips with, but I like them all now.

  9. #34
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,061
    A couple of clips from the QC show

    What If God Is Alone:



    Stardust We Are excerpt:

    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I love the first two tracks, and of course track 2 is about 24 minutes long I think. Those are like classic Flower Kings, complex and melodic. After that I didn't connect so much for some reason, until the last track 'Life in Motion', which I enjoy.
    Well that's 50 minutes right there. A great classic album! If you still need to fill it out, add "The River" and "Regal Divers" from the bonus disc. They fit alongside those three tracks you picked perfectly!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •