Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Interview With Frank Wyatt

My New Interview With Frank Wyatt

Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Yes, a most interesting interview! I would never have guessed Frank was a climate change denier.

That does not diminish my respect for his music and the Zeitgeist project in particular.

It's interesting and surprising to see that climate change denial was apparently a significant inspiration for some of this music, but I would have liked to see something resembling a persuasive argument for that point of view, rather than a series of derogatory comments towards those who believe climate change might be a problem.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    I would have liked to see something resembling a persuasive argument for that point of view, rather than a series of derogatory comments towards those who believe climate change might be a problem.
    The careful way Frank phrased his comments, and the fact that he had second thoughts about including them -- and then third thoughts and decided to include them afterall -- these indicate to me that Frank is smart enough to know that the near-universal scientific consensus is against him. He's apparently picked up these beliefs from some fringey website and along with them, the denigration of his opponents.

And for those that deny climate change, "denigration" means to belittle or mock.

I don't know if it's fringey, exactly. Not in much of the US.

Frank said that he was "apolitical". However, some of the lyrics on Pedal Giant Animals do suggest a particular set of beliefs. And, along with climate change denial, those beliefs tie together with a certain political stance and certain economic convictions into a neat, vertically integrated, logically consistent, and emotionally satisfying package that eliminates confusion from one's life, gives direction to the wavering, and is thus very attractive. This specific bundle of credos has a great deal of support from many people and certain institutions, and has become the mainstream in most of the country - at least if you count by land area, and not by population.

Another way of saying this is that I think something might have happened to him twice, unlike some of us, and the first time all he said was "WAAAAAAAA" - which was what all of us said that first time.

Yet another way is that if Neal Morse was looking for a sax player and second keyboardist, Frank might be a good candidate, and would get along well with Neal.

(I hope you can see what I'm trying to say without violating the PE Terms of Service.)

I'm a tad sad that this is all folks seem to pull out of thoughts on quite a fine album.

I mentioned his comments did not detract from his very fine Zeitgeist album. I simply said I was surprised at such fringe opinions.

BTW I did not think PE's terms of service covered established science. It's not like we're discussing flat earth or moon landings
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-06-2019 at 12:59 PM.

I'm of the mind that we should discuss whatever strikes our fancy. Only a closed mind fears disagreement. The more points of view expressed, the better!

I tend to agree. The people who fund this site, OTOH, disagree. As is their right.

What's sad to me -- if I may be allowed one commentary -- is that established science has become controversial and "a matter of opinion" and something not discussed in polite society anymore. We're so afraid of offending that we don't call bullshit anymore.

Banned
    ^^^ Sadly not just science. The brilliant Gary Kasparov (youngest world chess champion in history) grew up in the Soviet Union and recognizes the current state as a "post truth Soviet world" environment, the difference being that at that time nearly all the people over there new that Tass and Pravda were vehicles for propaganda, outright fabrications and simple lies. If you google Kasparov op ed you will find his take on things.

Sorry John, thanks for the fine interview. My only critique is that they're always too short and leave me wanting more.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

Nice interview. Thanks for posting it.

Frank seems like a good soul. I don't agree that climate change is a myth, but regardless of his beliefs, it's great to hear from him. Glad to see he's in a good place right now, and I hope he stays active and as healthy as possible.

Excellent album. Good to read commentary from the artist. Thanks for posting.

Hope everyone is enjoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    If you google Kasparov op ed you will find his take on things.
    Thanks, it *is* good.

The album really is superb.

I wish Rick Kennell had had more tracks though.

It's late at night and my eyes are too tired to focus on purple and white but did he mention that he isn't playing sax anymore.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It's late at night and my eyes are too tired to focus on purple and white but did he mention that he isn't playing sax anymore.
    It wouldn't surprise me- Saxophone is one of those "full body" instruments that demand a lot of energy, and Frank has been very sick.

P.S.

If your computer set up or device is so enabled (most are), there is a "text only" button which will display the interview in plain black on white if that is better on the peepers.
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 12-07-2019 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post

P.S.

If your computer set up or device is so enabled (most are), there is a "text only" button which will display the interview in plain black on white if that is better on the peepers.
    Or you can press alt+tab (select all) and it will make the text black.

Cool interview. Good questions. I don't understand how someone would deny climate change, moon landings, and some other things that appear obvious to me, but I sure enjoy his music. He was always my favorite writer in HTM. Hopefully he can stay healthy and active, and glad he's got something (Atlantis) in the works...

More music is what I crave!!

Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Hopefully he can stay healthy and active, and glad he's got something (Atlantis) in the works...
    Definitely!

Another Stan & Frank album would be lovely! They really compliment each other so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk