I like to smoke, drink, and ball.
    Do you have a yellow suit?
    Is it made by Pam??
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

As always, Aymeric beat me to the punch!
    Last edited by Steve F.; 01-05-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Banned
    Another Fine Tune has always been one of my very favorite albums with it's beautifully relaxed vibe that belies all that's going on melodically, IMO it has some of Gowen's very best playing. I get a somewhat similar vibe from Two Rainbows Daily although the atmosphere is quite different with only bass and keyboards esp. when Hugh turns up the fuzz.

I say good on Mr. Ratledge for knowing when to hang up his hat rather than repeat himself or re-visit the past. He did his thing and achieved near something near mythic. I think is was Jimi Hendrix that suggested the he plug his organ into a fuzz/distortion box, if I remember correctly and the rest is history. Passages man.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Another Fine Tune has always been one of my very favorite albums with it's beautifully relaxed vibe that belies all that's going on melodically, IMO it has some of Gowen's very best playing. I get a somewhat similar vibe from Two Rainbows Daily although the atmosphere is quite different with only bass and keyboards esp. when Hugh turns up the fuzz.

I say good on Mr. Ratledge for knowing when to hang up his hat rather than repeat himself or re-visit the past. He did his thing and achieved near something near mythic. I think is was Jimi Hendrix that suggested the he plug his organ into a fuzz/distortion box, if I remember correctly and the rest is history. Passages man.
    Nice

I really get a better appreciation of Rutledge more and more as time passes. A beautiful player (and composer). Vol. 2 is one of my fav Canterbury albums on some days (like today again), well after Rotters Club of course. Just magical. I can't get enough of that one. Its really nice to spin these albums roughly the same time every year now, makes it very special. Bloody good.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Who made your yellow suit ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Do you have a yellow suit?
    Is it made by Pam??

You may laugh at me
    Say I don't deserve
    All the things I've had
    Sad...

I've got a drum kit and some sticks
    So when I'm drunk or in a fit
    I find it easy to express myself
    I hit the drums so hard I break all the heads
    And then I end the day in one of my beds

I'm nearly 5'7 tall
    I like to smoke and drink and ball
    I've got a yellow suit that's made by Pam
    And every day I like an egg and some tea
    But best of all I like to talk about me!

You may laugh at me
    Say I don't deserve
    All the things I've had

I had not really appreciated that Gilgamesh record until very very recently - like the last six months.
    I mean, it had Hugh - of course it was good - but I didn't play it much and it never made much of an impression. Seemed too laid back. Or some other flaw I can't really think of now that I am not feeling that way!

well, whatever needed to happen happened, because it's been killing me these last months. Really lovely.

so I salute your selection.

SALUT!
    That Gilgamesh LP was in the very first package I ever got from Wayside Music circa 1987. I bought it not knowing a thing about it, but there was something about the way it was described in the printed Wayside catalog that caught my eye. Played it recently as I’ve been grooving hard on the recently reissued Ian Carr/Don Rendell Quintet LPs which feature Trevor Tomkins on drums in his pre-Gilgamesh post-bop days.
    I remember playing the Gilgamesh album quite a bit when I first got it...a favorite late-night spin as it has that vibe, but the tunes are knotty enough to avoid it ever becoming background music. Terrific stuff.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

^^^^^^^

. !
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Alright... Just finished listening to Robert's '68 CD: my first Canterbury disc of the new year and my contribution to the binge. Absolutely the peak of his creativity (IMHO of course). There are many later moments that could also be argued as peaks. But the light-hearted, soulful, playful magic is here more than anywhere else in his career.

As for Gilgamesh, I'm really curious now. I own both Gilgamesh studio discs but since my move to Iowa two years ago I can't find them! And I probably have not listened to either one for a decade or more. I only have Arriving Twice, which is great, but need to go back and listen to the orginal releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post

I say good on Mr. Ratledge for knowing when to hang up his hat rather than repeat himself or re-visit the past. He did his thing and achieved near something near mythic.
    I'll drink to that

Decent tune, that.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

So, there is some bloke on eBay UK selling his National Health bootlegs: Dundee 1976, Paris 1978, Mattatoio 1979. Anyone know how these are?
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    So, there is some bloke on eBay UK selling his National Health bootlegs: Dundee 1976, Paris 1978, Mattatoio 1979. Anyone know how these are?
    No f'ing clue, but sounds nice.

I know this has been posted a ton of times during the years but fuck it, its worth seeing again...and again....and again. One of the real 7-minute gems of the 'Tube.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I've got a drum kit and some sticks
    So when I'm drunk or in a fit
    I find it easy to express myself
    I hit the drums so hard I break all the heads
    And then I end the day in one of my beds

I'm nearly 5'7 tall
    I like to smoke and drink and ball
    I've got a yellow suit that's made by Pam
    And every day I like an egg and some tea
    But best of all I like to talk about me!
    One of the better Jon Anderson lyrics; I wish he'd included it on Topographic.

As for that "Collapso" footage, it's full-blown Drunkanterbury. Which is merely a subgenre of true Canterbury.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It's interesting how Pip sets up those 2 cymbals in an almost-vertical manner (they don't look like china's to me?) , sort of surrounding him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

As for that "Collapso" footage, it's full-blown Drunkanterbury. Which is merely a subgenre of true Canterbury.
    Greaves, us, or both? Its definitely not perfect (Phil clams that section near the end) and Greaves.....is Greaves. Just saw they he is a Cambridge University alumni, never knew that.

Greaves, us, or both? Its definitely not perfect (Phil clams that section near the end) and Greaves.....is Greaves. Just saw they he is a Cambridge University alumni, never knew that.
    Greaves is very drunk. It's complained about by Stewart in the booklet with Complete, iirc.
    If John is, can Pip really be so far behind?

As far as the clam(s), they weren't a band by that point with Stewart who had left months previously, and Gowen hadn't yet come in. In other words, they were not in good practice.

Even so, it's still a pretty good clip and it's a pretty hard song done live, by a band out of practice. It doesn't detract from their sizable legacy. IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    One of the better Jon Anderson lyrics; I wish he'd included it on Topographic.
    It's on the missing third record (Side 5) called "The Kitchen Appliance of Cod". Side 6 was left blank intentionally and is to be played with all 5 other sides simultaneously. It was a group effort. Ask Jonny.

Greaves is very drunk. It's complained about by Stewart in the booklet with Complete, iirc.

As far as the clam(s), they weren't a band by that point with Stewart who had left months previously, and Gowen hadn't yet come in. In other words, they were not in good practice.
    Makes it even more amazing then.

Fucking Greaves is a Fucking Monster. He even makes a Neil Murray look like an amateur boy picked from the streets (and I love Neil).

Makes it even more amazing then.
    You quoted me before I changed it to reflect my belief that if John was drunk, Pip was too.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Fucking Greaves is a Fucking Monster. He even makes a Neil Murray look like an amateur boy picked from the streets (and I love Neil).
    He may be a better player overall (debatable?) but there isn't one single nano-second on National Heath where I'm saying to my kids "Oh man, I can'r wait for Greaves on the next one....". To me he plays beautifully and serves the tunes/album perfectly.

You quoted me before I changed it to reflect my belief that if John was drunk, Pip was too.

Yes sir

As far as who is better than who or what-have-you, this is thorough-composed ensemble music, with room for improvised parts and for 'putting eyebrows on the music'.

While distinctive voices are important and the music allows great and distinctive voices to shine and be 'themselves', and put their own version of eyebrows on, ultimately, this, like all composed music, needs people who are interested enough or good enough to perform it. Even if they aren't particularly 'quirky' (like Neil Murray), he played his parts extremely well and got inside the music and allowed it to be a great album.

Doesn't really matter who came next or what-have-you. He was the bassist at the time and he did great and we are all lucky that he was there to be in that band and make the recordings he is on.

IMO. [ I've gotten very zen in my old age. ]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

To me he plays beautifully and serves the tunes/album perfectly.
    You said what I said in about 10% of the verbiage. So, YES. I may have to hire you as my editor.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com