Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 173

Thread: Canterbury Binge 2018-2019

  1. #1
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    2,831

    Canterbury Binge 2018-2019

    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  2. #2
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,240

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,126
    Here's a great "classic quartet" Soft Machine live performance I had not seen before. I think I posted one or two SM vids on your binge thread last year. The Bilzen performance is a classic. Unlike many bands who have almost nothing, every year there seems to be some great new live SM material online. Let's hope this continues.


  4. #4
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,255
    Hell yeah just had Henry Cow Teenbeat and SM Vol1 on.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  5. #5
    Just discovered this albuim last night. Absolutely loving it:



    Going to explore more This Heat - any one have any other artist suggestions down this lane?

  6. #6
    ^ You'll find the entire Camberwell Now roster (two EPs and The Ghost Trade) on one completely wonderful compilation by ReR, All's Well.

    As for the equally or even more wonderful This Heat roster, it contained unique and singular rock music then and since; influences notwithstanding (Faust, Charlemagne Palestine, Robert Wyatt, Nico's Marble Index and more). Therefore it's pretty hard to find things similar, although you'd might want to check out some modern acts supremely informed by This Heat; Brise-Glace was a vehicle for Jim O'Rourke (then of Gastr del Sol "fame") as knots'n'cut'n'paste-man, sporting a backing band consisting of folks from Cheer-Accident and others. Also there's the very good and sometimes excellent French act Ulan Bator. Not too much Canterburian in either, though…

    I think I'll have to wait for early Spring to jump on the yearly Canterbury bandwagon myself. It's more 'that' season for me.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  7. #7
    Why is Camberwell Now on a Canterbury discussion?

  8. #8
    ^ I'd like to say "solely for the reason of Charles Hayward's stint with Quiet Sun", but truth be told there's still a scent of the Wyatt/Frith/Hopper-infusion in some of CN's harmonies and sonic explorations in general.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ I'd like to say "solely for the reason of Charles Hayward's stint with Quiet Sun", but truth be told there's still a scent of the Wyatt/Frith/Hopper-infusion in some of CN's harmonies and sonic explorations in general.
    Ah, ok, in such a broad sense, why not?

    An incredible band, there are times that I prefer them to This Heat.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    An incredible band, there are times that I prefer them to This Heat.
    I'd personally take them over the first This Heat album, which was partly groundbreaking but still a tad too fragmented for its own good. Very little beats Deceit, though - to my mind and ears. Still I guess CN's forté were more about the opposite - ears first, mind second. In a sense they were perhaps more instantly 'listenable'.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  11. #11
    Adoring Canterbury band....Lapis Lazuli's latest release Brain. Here is the official video of probably the best piece on the album 'Hired Soul' It could be the only prog video to feature an egg and spoon race


  12. #12
    Yes! I was hoping this thread would start soon.

    Currently spinning the first album by Matching Mole. Maybe Little Red Record will be up next.

  13. #13
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,949
    Spent the week between Christmas and New Year's listening to a lot of Egg and a lot of the Softs. The wife worked quite a bit during that week so I had plenty of time to myself to enjoy a Canterbury binge. Right now I'm spinning the amazing Live In Switzerland DVD.... I have a lot of housework/reorganizing to do today, and I'm going to be kicking that all off with Gilgamesh - Arriving Twice to help me through it!
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Adoring Canterbury band....Lapis Lazuli's latest release Brain. Here is the official video of probably the best piece on the album 'Hired Soul' It could be the only prog video to feature an egg and spoon race

    Very nice album Solid grooves all the way. I think it may end up alongside Alien / Abra Cadaver as my favourite of their things.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  15. #15
    Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Divided Snakes of America
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'd personally take them over the first This Heat album, which was partly groundbreaking but still a tad too fragmented for its own good. Very little beats Deceit, though - to my mind and ears. Still I guess CN's forté were more about the opposite - ears first, mind second. In a sense they were perhaps more instantly 'listenable'.
    Agree on Deceit - for me, "S. P. Q. R." is one of the most haunting things I've ever heard. For whatever reason I will never get that track (or the cover of Deceit out of my mind.
    There are more stars in the visible universe than there are grains of sand on planet earth.

  16. #16
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    2,831
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Here's a great "classic quartet" Soft Machine live performance I had not seen before. I think I posted one or two SM vids on your binge thread last year. The Bilzen performance is a classic. Unlike many bands who have almost nothing, every year there seems to be some great new live SM material online. Let's hope this continues.
    These vintage SM videos are the best.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  17. #17
    Thinking about spinning my vinyl copies of Soft Machine's second and third albums this evening, after I get home from work. The question is, should I do it chronologically? Gotta make sure it's done right.

    BTW, that 20 minute jam version of "Part Of The Dance" from the expanded reissue of the first Matching Mole is quite nice.

  18. #18
    Canterbury fringe to the left:

    Lol Coxhill - Ear of the Beholder (1971)
    David Bedford - Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1975)

    Canterbury fringe, middle ground:

    G.F. Fitzgerald - Mouseproof (1970)
    Turning Point - Silent Promise (1978)

    Canterbury fringe to the right:

    Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge (1974)
    Quantum Jump - Mixing (1979)

    Slightly interesting footnote on John G. Perry's entrance at Wiki is the complete omittance of his involvement with Gringo, who were (like Delivery and Arzachel) a "proto-progressive" band with faint Canterburian flair. I think it's a bit of shame how this album remains so underappreciated, as it presents Perry's fat, melancholy voice and some ace harmonies and vibes. I got it on vinyl just the other week, and it's a fine if somewhat underdeveloped work.

    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  19. #19
    It's Thursday, it's 7.18pm, I've had a glass of palinca, and I want to listen to Gilgamesh:

    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  20. #20
    Member bigjohnwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Canterbury fringe to the left:

    Lol Coxhill - Ear of the Beholder (1971)
    David Bedford - Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1975)

    Canterbury fringe, middle ground:

    G.F. Fitzgerald - Mouseproof (1970)
    Turning Point - Silent Promise (1978)

    Canterbury fringe to the right:

    Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge (1974)
    Quantum Jump - Mixing (1979)

    That is a good way of putting it. Not all Canterbury-adjacent bands are the same distance from National Health.

  21. #21
    Member bigjohnwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    107
    My dad has been playing the new Lalle Larsson Trio album and his synth work at times sounds a lot like Alan Gowen, or at least Alan Gowen combined with Kit Watkins. He doesn't quite have the immaculate taste of either player, but I enjoyed what I heard quite a bit.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    My dad has been playing the new Lalle Larsson Trio album and his synth work at times sounds a lot like Alan Gowen, or at least Alan Gowen combined with Kit Watkins. He doesn't quite have the immaculate taste of either player, but I enjoyed what I heard quite a bit.
    The track I heard sounded more like "Allan Holdsworth on keys"; too bad Richard Hallebeek didn't make this a quartet.


  23. #23
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    8,762
    Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Adoring Canterbury band....Lapis Lazuli's latest release Brain. Here is the official video of probably the best piece on the album 'Hired Soul' It could be the only prog video to feature an egg and spoon race

    Not exactly sure how this fits into the Canterbury sound. Or are they just from Canterbury?

  24. #24
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    It's Thursday, it's 7.18pm, I've had a glass of palinca, and I want to listen to Gilgamesh:

    I had not really appreciated that Gilgamesh record until very very recently - like the last six months.
    I mean, it had Hugh - of course it was good - but I didn't play it much and it never made much of an impression. Seemed too laid back. Or some other flaw I can't really think of now that I am not feeling that way!

    well, whatever needed to happen happened, because it's been killing me these last months. Really lovely.

    so I salute your selection.

    SALUT!
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  25. #25
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    2,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

    well, whatever needed to happen happened, because it's been killing me these last months. Really lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    It's Thursday, it's 7.18pm, I've had a glass of palinca, and I want to listen to Gilgamesh:
    Yeah, that is a very nice track. The keys and drums (GO Pip) are pretty wonderful. Has the Canterbury spices, too.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •