Thread: Bang on a can

Bang on a can

Some time ago a saw Bang on a Can live together with Iva Bittova. Before the break they did their own set, after the breat they performed 'Elida' with Iva. I thought it was absolutely awesom.

I bought Elida at the show and foy years I have been planning to buy me some more Bang on Can but I somehow never got to it.

New years resolution nr 1: buy me some Bangs. So which ones do you recommend, and why?

I have only seen them live as Bang On A Can All Stars over a long weekend at Big Ears 2018.
    Michael Gordon, David Lang, Julia Wolfe were composers in residence for the festival.
    Field Recordings was a cool performance as was Anthracite Fields.
    They capped off the festival with a "Best Of" works by Michael Gordon, David Lang, Julia Wolfe.
    I wish I knew the names of some of the pieces they were very cool.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

Quite a lot of their best stuff isn't recorded. Road Trip, for example - a collaborative piece by Lang, Gordon, and Wolfe, featuring the band with complex multiscreen projections. I suspect that the reason may be funding, that they don't do speculative work and so if they can't wangle a grant, they don't embark upon a project, such as recording. You can find it on YouTube, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a8WiHgI3B8, this is Part One. Anthracite Fields is one of their better recordings, although it's a bit hit-or-miss. All of their work is.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-05-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Quite a lot of their best stuff isn't recorded. Road Trip, for example - a collaborative piece by Lang, Gordon, and Wolfe, featuring the band with complex multiscreen projections. I suspect that the reason may be funding, that they don't do speculative work and so if they can't wangle a grant, they don't embark upon a project, such as recording. You can find it on YouTube, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a8WiHgI3B8, this is Part One. Anthracite Fields is one of their better recordings, although it's a bit hit-or-miss. All of their work is.
    When i saw them live in Amsterdam some years back they played a iece of Lukas Ligeti. I really liked that piece but could not find it among their recordings on bandcamp. Probably another one that was never recorded.

I could find another piece they played that night; Julia Wolf, Big, beautiful, dark and scary. Its on a double album with the same name so I got that one. I really dig it. Especially that David lang piece on it is completely awesome. Avant prog of the highest quality if you as me. I wonder why they are not talked about a bit more on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I wonder why they are not talked about a bit more on this forum.
    I can assure you that if BoaC were a contemporary hotbed ensemble seriously dedicating themselves to renditions of 70s "prog" bignames, the discussions would be ubiquitous.

I've only got Elida, but then again Iva Bittova was partly classically trained herself so the contrast isn't really there. Some fabulous material there, although I must admit to preferring the "rock" Iva over the gypsyfolk- or "artmusic" one.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks for starting this. I believe that the most creative, talented musicians are being drawn to modern classical now resulting in the most diverse, challenging and delightful music I've ever heard. I got there through the music of Univers Zero, Aranis, and Not A Good Sign, which this music resembles, only it's mostly acoustic. I've moved on from rock music to become immersed in the BoaC/Cantaloupe/Alarm Will Sound universe over the past few years, to the point of subscribing to receive all Cantaloupe releases (for $10 per month). Highlights for me:
    - Both of the BoaC "Field Recordings"
    - Michael Gordon's "Natural History" recorded at Crater Lake and documented this past week on PBS.
    - Alarm Will Sound covers John Adams "Splitting Adams" - an album using a podcast format. Hey it works.
    - Michael Gordon's "Clouded Yellow" and its remixes by Bill Frissell and David Harrington (of Kronos Quartet)
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Thanks for the suggestions! I think field recordings will be the BoaC I will get next and i will check out the other suggestions.

I absolutely LOVE 'big beautiful dark and scary'. So much wonderful diverse stuf on that album.

Anyone got any suggestions for works of David Lang?

To me, David Lang's music is less accessible than Michael Gordon or Julia Wolfe.
    David Lang's most recent is Mystery Sonatas. I'm not a great fan of solo violin, but the reviews are very complimentary.
    Writing on Water takes a lot of patience to appreciate. I haven't found the time for that one yet.
    Stop is written for a dance piece. I like it a lot though.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org