Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

It may not look very impressive now and a year early, but the Padres just made the centerpiece of a legitimate run. They have

2. Fernando Tatis - SS
    15. Mackenzie Gore - SP
    23. Luis Urias - 2B
    26. Francisco Mejia - C/OF
    34. Chris Paddack - SP
    48. Luis Patino - SP
    49. Adrian Morejon - SP
    72. Michel Baez - SP
    74. Logan Allen - SP
    93. Ryan Weathers - SP

all in MLB's top 100 and are ranked as the #1 farm system in many lists. That doesn't even cover guys like Anderson Espinosa, Xavier Edwards, Esteury Ruiz, Hudson Potts, Josh Naylor, and a few others.

Tatis, Mejia, and Urias are ready to emerge, while the pitching will take some time to sort out.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Now the Padres' Chairman is saying that the deal is not yet complete.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wait, I thought the Yankees were signing him.

Best news of the day so far.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Wait, I thought the Yankees were signing him.

Best news of the day so far.
    Yes, glad to have him out of the AL East.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That's a lunatic contract, expect buyers remorse in about 4 years.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So, how many championships do they need to win to make it worth the so-called "investment"?

One surely wouldn't be enough.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So, how many championships do they need to win to make it worth the so-called "investment"?

One surely wouldn't be enough.
    There was some interesting analysis from Dan O’Dowd yesterday on MLB Now regarding this potential (now confirmed) signing. He noted how teams that successfully rebuild typically build first a core, that core climbs the ladder together, plays together, gets better and only then are free agents signed. Astros did this (think Verlander) and so too did the Cubs (Lester and, sure, Hayward). Other clubs like the Yanks or Dodgers can work differently. But rebuilding smaller market teams like the Padres tend to build a core first. It’s what the Braves dare doing, and why I’m hopeful for this year.

So who is the Padres core? Are Hosmer and Myers the clubhouse, veteran leaders who define the club culture as the young guys graduate and mature? Machado, by all reports, isn’t that type of guy, but is that a problem? It shouldn’t be, but who knows. Anyhow.

It’s fun to speculate.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Moustakas resigns with the Brewers (1 year, 10 mil w/mutual option for 2020). I'm happy about that.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Wow. With the passing of Don Newcombe there's only one surviving member of the Brooklyn Dodgers World Series winner, Carl Erskine.

Damn, I'm old.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Wow. With the passing of Don Newcombe there's only one surviving member of the Brooklyn Dodgers World Series winner, Carl Erskine.

Damn, I'm old.
    There's also (at least) one PE member who saw both Newcombe & Erskine pitch at Ebbets Field that's still alive.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

Damn, I'm old.
    And only one left that played in the 1951 Giants - Dodgers - Bobby Thompson HR playoff game, Willie Mays. Newcombe started that game.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    There was some interesting analysis from Dan O’Dowd yesterday on MLB Now regarding this potential (now confirmed) signing. He noted how teams that successfully rebuild typically build first a core, that core climbs the ladder together, plays together, gets better and only then are free agents signed. Astros did this (think Verlander) and so too did the Cubs (Lester and, sure, Hayward). Other clubs like the Yanks or Dodgers can work differently. But rebuilding smaller market teams like the Padres tend to build a core first. It’s what the Braves dare doing, and why I’m hopeful for this year.

So who is the Padres core? Are Hosmer and Myers the clubhouse, veteran leaders who define the club culture as the young guys graduate and mature? Machado, by all reports, isn’t that type of guy, but is that a problem? It shouldn’t be, but who knows. Anyhow.

It’s fun to speculate.
    As Cozy pointed out, the Padres are hoping that their core is going to emerge in the next season or two. Machado is only 26, so they have time for their young talent to mature. Meanwhile, they should be able to sell some tickets.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Meanwhile, they should be able to sell some tickets.
    Maybe? Does Machado have the star power to attract casual fans?

Given that the Padres are the only game in town, maybe. But the guy has a lot of baggage and is not exactly a household name.

For what it’s worth, I hope no one reads this as wishing ill on San Diego. I hope they do succeed, but I think they would’ve been better served waiting a year or two to see what sort of core they have, then sign a big name. If I’m wrong about this, and it works out for all parties, more fool me.

Terribly sad news about Nick Cafardo. He was the Red Sox beat reporter for whom I had the most respect. I like that he was both the very epitome of the newspaper man, but also a gentle soul who was devoted to his twin loves - baseball & his family.

In some way, baseball is unique as a sport in attracting people like this - it's the daily nature of it, the fact that it's every day from spring training beginning in mid-March through to the end of October - eight continuous months of day-by-day contact with fellow reporters, players, coaches, owners. So hard to tread the fine line of keeping their friendship & respect, without simply going native & becoming a mouthpiece for the club (especially given the egos that go with the adulation & the ridiculous paycheques) - but Cafardo really managed it - doubtless because he was fundamentally such a decent & evidently fair & honest bloke...

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Maybe? Does Machado have the star power to attract casual fans?

Given that the Padres are the only game in town, maybe. But the guy has a lot of baggage and is not exactly a household name.
    I would imagine that there is buzz about the team among its fans, after such a big splash. And I think he's become a household name through this whole process.

From the NY Post:

Nationals owner Mark Lerner told NBC Sports on Friday that the team had “moved on” from the star who spent the first seven years of his career in Washington after it made him the first overall pick in 2010.

“Nothing’s certainly changed on our end,” Lerner said. “We’ve moved on. As I said back then and we had to. There was no way we could wait around. Bryce, I’m sure, will make his decision hopefully in the next few days, but we’ve filled out our roster and like I said, we wish him nothing but the best.”

Looks like the Dodgers just shut down ace Clayton Kershaw indefinitely for "not feeling right" after a bullpen session.

Ahhhh, finally watching baseball. It's meaningless, but still feels great.

I'm not sure who's calling the game on MLB Network right now, but the color commentator (a former player) called the shift cheating. Sure, he's a biased pull hitter, but how about learning to hit the other way once in a while? Maybe even lay down a bunt?

Ahhhh, finally watching baseball. It's meaningless, but still feels great.
    Yep. It's dreary outside, but it's baseball weather on my TV.

I'm not sure who's calling the game on MLB Network right now, but the color commentator (a former player) called the shift cheating.
    Complete nonsense.

Manfred is going to outlaw it, eventually, but I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yep. It's dreary outside, but it's baseball weather on my TV.

Complete nonsense.

Manfred is going to outlaw it, eventually, but I love it.
    The commentator is Carlos Pena.

I've heard the same complaint from others. All you have to do is SLAP the ball into the hole, into the opposite direction as the shift. For a professional baseball player this is not impossible. But you see again and again guys wilting in the face of the shift, pulling in their usual pattern and going out.

And Manfred would be a fool to ban it. Then again, he's been a fool before.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've heard the same complaint from others. All you have to do is SLAP the ball into the hole, into the opposite direction as the shift. For a professional baseball player this is not impossible. But you see again and again guys wilting in the face of the shift, pulling in their usual pattern and going out.

And Manfred would be a fool to ban it. Then again, he's been a fool before.
    Hitters will eventually adjust, which will be great for everyone. You'll get more guys that can hit with power to the opposite field. In the long run, it should improve the game.

If Manfred lets it happen.

I don't see it ever being banned, either. Maybe they need to be paid more to learn how to adjust.

I don't see it ever being banned, either. Maybe they need to be paid more to learn how to adjust.
    It’ll take a few years. It’ll start in the Minors. Guys in the Majors probably don’t want to mess too much with their swings; they don’t want to risk lower power numbers (and, this, lower paydays). Eventually those slap hitters in the Minors will get promoted. Defenses and pitchers will adjust, and the game will change again.