Thread: Roger Daltrey's new book

Roger Daltrey's new book

Anyone else read this? I got a copy for Christmas and should finish it tonight.. Very quick read.. I wouldn't say I was a huge Who fan but Who's Next was in regular rotation during my high school years as was Tommy. I gotta say I learned quite a few things from his story... Several threads this year have dealt the whole question of where is the money made.. touring vs. album release.. it's obvious from Roger's take on The Who's touring years.. they never made any money.. now I'll grant you there were a lot of "extra" expenses with Keith's propensity to destroy things along the way.. but they got ripped off from there manager and others who handled the money.. Pete obviously made out quite well since he wrote most of the material.. Nevertheless a sad story in many ways but an all too familiar one unfortunately.. I forget which rocker in the last few years when asked to give advice to bands just starting out what should they do first.. "Understand business, take some financial classes.. etc"..
    RD.jpg

I finished it a couple of weeks ago and also really enjoyed it. Have you read Townshend's book? I also just finished Kenny Jones book. 3 different perspectives on the same band, all of them interesting. R

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I am reading it and enjoying it now. The Who were my favorite band in high school.

Just realized I that I bought Pete's book a while ago and never got around to reading it. Perhaps I'll whip that out and then move on to Roger's book to get the rest of the story.

Roger did a long form interview on the WTF podcast a week or so ago to promote the book. It was pretty good. I would recommend it to fans.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If the second or third biggest band in rock has broke members..... (sighing)

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Anyone else read this? I got a copy for Christmas and should finish it tonight.. Very quick read.. I wouldn't say I was a huge Who fan but Who's Next was in regular rotation during my high school years as was Tommy. I gotta say I learned quite a few things from his story... Several threads this year have dealt the whole question of where is the money made.. touring vs. album release.. it's obvious from Roger's take on The Who's touring years.. they never made any money.. now I'll grant you there were a lot of "extra" expenses with Keith's propensity to destroy things along the way.. but they got ripped off from there manager and others who handled the money.. Pete obviously made out quite well since he wrote most of the material.. Nevertheless a sad story in many ways but an all too familiar one unfortunately.. I forget which rocker in the last few years when asked to give advice to bands just starting out what should they do first.. "Understand business, take some financial classes.. etc"..
    RD.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I forget which rocker in the last few years when asked to give advice to bands just starting out what should they do first.. "Understand business, take some financial classes.. etc"..
    RD.jpg
    I believe that was Dick Dale. But, I'm sure he wasn't the only one.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I’m two thirds of the way through it, a very swift and easy read but has thrown some light on those tough early days, and although he wasn’t rolling in cash, he hasn’t had a bad life!

I’ve also read the Pete book, but that was years ago now, I may re-read after this one, though my pile of unread books grows ever taller.

I met with a music journalist mate the other day and he recently interviewed Kenny Jones, and said there is absolutely no love lost between him and Daltrey. Kenny was keen not to rubbish Roger, but it was clear that neither were mates.
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 12-31-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I’m two thirds of the way through it, a very swift and easy read but has thrown some light on those tough early days, and although he wasn’t rolling in cash, he hasn’t had a bad life!

I’ve also read the Pete book, but that was years ago now, I may re-read after this one, though my pile of unread books grows ever taller.

I met with a music journalist mate the other day and he recently interviewed Kenny Jones, and said there is absolutely no love lost between him and Daltrey. Kennedy was keen not to rubbish Roger, but it was clear that neither were mates.
    Jones is pretty honest about that in his book. I think he respects Daltry, but they are not friends.