Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XTC ... any fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    A striking thing is the variety between individual records, in terms of musical style, production, arranging. Sometimes it's hard to imagine this is the same band.
    Well every album had a different producer and a different drummer (after Terry Chambers left in '82). But mostly it was a matter of their music evolving... much like The Beatles did.

sorry guys... I mistakenly uploaded the wrong version of Complicated Game last time. The fully nuanced version is up now:
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1t152c486dfpl/
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Well every album had a different producer and a different drummer (after Terry Chambers left in '82). But mostly it was a matter of their music evolving... much like The Beatles did.
    Probably this is the reason that there's not even a hint of a consensus regarding their best album. This is the mark of a truly great band!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I'm finding it amusing that NO ONE has mentioned Mummer as a favorite.

I used to like that one a bit. Honestly, though, it's a very downbeat album all around. Partridge had just had his breakdown, XTC had officially stopped touring, and Terry Chambers had taken off in a huff. Partridge thus stayed in his garden and apparently wrote the most depressing songs he could muster. "Human Alchemy" is dreary as f**k, "Beating Of Hearts," I suppose, is supposed to be cheerfully world-musicky but it sounds awful to me, and "Funk Pop A Roll," while it has a fun and upbeat arrangement, is just Partridge screaming in a gestalt fashion about the horrible music industry. Moulding's songs are less dismal but they don't really raise the energy level any. I had to stop listening to it after a while because it was really depressing the hell out of me. "Love On A Farmboy's Wages" is the only song I ever go back to, and that's honestly enough.
    I was just listening to this one yesterday and thinking that it was not my favorite XTC album (and still great) but this was one of the remastered versions with bonus tracks and the song Desert Island is among the finest things they have ever done.

I happen to love the whole damn catalog so it's like picking my favorite/least favorite Beatles album, impossible to do.

The only bands I truly love without reserve: Yes, Genesis, Guided By Voices and XTC.

XTC was one of the only bands to have never recorded an "off" LP. They were all great, (Especially Drums & Wires but that's just me.)
    The Prog Corner

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    The only bands I truly love without reserve: Yes, Genesis, Guided By Voices and XTC.

XTC was one of the only bands to have never recorded an "off" LP. They were all great, (Especially Drums & Wires but that's just me.)
    Damn. I guess I have to listen to Guided By Voices more carefully. Totally agree about the other three !

I could never get into Mummer for some reason. Maybe I'll have to try again!

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Damn. I guess I have to listen to Guided By Voices more carefully. Totally agree about the other three !
    You're in for a wild ride, but very much worth it. Everyone would probably give you a different starting point, so jump in wherever you like!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I was just listening to this one yesterday and thinking that it was not my favorite XTC album (and still great) but this was one of the remastered versions with bonus tracks and the song Desert Island is among the finest things they have ever done.
    "Jump" is another very nice song from those bonus tracks.

Banned
    I liked the Dukes of Stratosphear albums back when they came out and still do, but tried and didn't like any XTC. I do like the Jellyfish - Spilt Milk album for incredibly well crafted pop, but overall it's not my bag. Is it comprable? Maybe I should re-visit.

I've been listening to D&W for the past 2 weeks putting together an early XTC CDR and it is indeed a great album

did you check out my version of Complicated Game?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'm a huge fan, but can't go back any further than "Black Sea." My favorites are "Oranges and Lemons" and "Nonsuch."

There's a thread on them somewhere in the OT Music forum. To me, they were the greatest thing to happen to pop music since The Beatles.
    I totally agree! For me though my favorite is English Settlement followed by Skylarking.

SKYLARKING is a Top 10 of all time album for me. Most of their others are all very worthwhile listens as well especially the 2 that follow. I've been reexploring the old stuff via the Steven Wilson mixes and I really like what I hear! Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Guided By Voices mastermind Robert Pollard maintains the perfect balance of the "Four P's":

Punk
    Pop
    Prog
    Psych

Like R. Stevie Moore, he is very prolific and not for every taste!!!

For the Prog listener, I would recommend Mag Earwgig! or Earthquake Glue. But all 102 LP's he's released are worthy additions to any collection.
    The Prog Corner

Skylarking was my introduction to XTC. I have to admit, though, that Todd Rundgren's production was a little heavy handed with Todd's sonic fingerprints all over it. That's not a bad thing, IMHO, but I can see where Andy Partridge comes off not liking the record because in a way, Todd highjacked the sound of the group and was somewhat dictatorial in the sessions.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 01-07-2019 at 04:17 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Skylarking was my introduction to XTC. I have to admit, though, that Todd Rundgren's production was a little heavy handed with Todd's sonic fingerprints all over it. That's not a bad thing, IMHO, but I can see where Andy Partridge comes off not liking the record because in a way, a Todd highjacked the sound of the group and was somewhat dictatorial in the sessions.
    There's a few videos on YT that address those sessions and yes, it was truly a match made in hell, but in my opinion Todd's influence remained in the band's sound and approach. As multilayered as Skylarking is, it was Todd's mission to declutter Partridge's kitchen sink arrangements. Partridge was resentful but he's softened since then. Todd, not so much.

Skylarking was my introduction to XTC. I have to admit, though, that Todd Rundgren's production was a little heavy handed with Todd's sonic fingerprints all over it. That's not a bad thing, IMHO, but I can see where Andy Partridge comes off not liking the record because in a way, a Todd highjacked the sound of the group and was somewhat dictatorial in the sessions.
    Actually, Andy has gone on record as saying that he likes Skylarking and what Todd brought to it, in spite of clashing with Todd during the recording sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I've been listening to D&W for the past 2 weeks putting together an early XTC CDR and it is indeed a great album

did you check out my version of Complicated Game?
    Moulding's bass playing on D & W is darn brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    sorry guys... I mistakenly uploaded the wrong version of Complicated Game last time. The fully nuanced version is up now:
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1t152c486dfpl/
    What a terrific song. I love what you did with it.
    The Prog Corner

but I can see where Andy Partridge comes off not liking the record because in a way, Todd highjacked the sound of the group and was somewhat dictatorial in the sessions.
    And to this day Todd still seems like he can't move on from this and maintains that these sessions have permanently fucked him up . It's ok though, i love what he did for that record and i still want to go to his tiki joint in Hawaii and have some strong-assed rum drinks.

What a terrific song. I love what you did with it.
    thanks Scot... I tweaked a number of things and then there's the BIG obvious thing
    glad you liked it

LP - When I try to download it I get permission denied?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Moulding's bass playing on D & W is darn brilliant
    I thought I knew everything there was to know about XTC but in an interview with Prog Magazine Colin says he got a call from David Gilmour years back and was asked to join Pink Floyd. He obviously said "no."
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    LP - When I try to download it I get permission denied?
    try this link Dan'l

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/1t152c486dfpl/XTC

Same thing: "Permission denied."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.