Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XTC ... any fans?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Same thing: "Permission denied."
    yep

Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 01-09-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Moulding's bass playing on D & W is darn brilliant
    I just heard "Respectable Street" on the radio a little while ago and i concur, Molding is a criminally underrated bass player.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Still.

It also says something about how this file may be available from Amazon.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I just heard "Respectable Street" on the radio a little while ago and i concur, Molding is a criminally underrated bass player.
    Agreed! One of (if not THE) most unique bass players in rock/pop and one of the only ones to consistently use a fretless.

Still.

I'll make a U toob... but the one on Mediafire is WAV, so the Yoot will be inferior sounding
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Still.

#metoo

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    The only bands I truly love without reserve: Yes, Genesis, Guided By Voices and XTC.
    Well, you mentioned Guided By Voices in such esteemed company that I felt it was my duty to listen to them on Spotify. So I am right now listening to the 1987 album "Sandbox" I'd never heard of Guided By Voices before reading your reply.
    First impressions now at the halfway point in Sandbox, to me they sound like a mix between REM, The Smithereens and Camper van Beethoven.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    Well, you mentioned Guided By Voices in such esteemed company that I felt it was my duty to listen to them on Spotify. So I am right now listening to the 1987 album "Sandbox" I'd never heard of Guided By Voices before reading your reply.
    First impressions now at the halfway point in Sandbox, to me they sound like a mix between REM, The Smithereens and Camper van Beethoven.
    So funny that with 25 albums under yeti belt that you're listening to my least favorite of them all. And it's still a mighty fine record!!!

For my money their best albums are:

Bee Thousand
    Alien Lanes
    Do The Collapse
    The Bears For Lunch
    Space Gun
    The Prog Corner

Thanks, that works. Very nice!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I finally saw the "rockumentary," XTC: This is Pop. Somebody mentioned that it was on Showtime and since I have that channel, I searched and found it. Thoroughly enjoyable and Partridge is as zany as I imagined him to be! Very nice to see these guys get that kind of acknowledgement they so richly deserve!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I finally saw the "rockumentary," XTC: This is Pop. Somebody mentioned that it was on Showtime and since I have that channel, I searched and found it. Thoroughly enjoyable and Partridge is as zany as I imagined him to be! Very nice to see these guys get that kind of acknowledgement they so richly deserve!
    I still haven't seen this, but now I really want to! Thanks for the insights, man.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I was going to post something on this today since I just finally watched it last night (it's been burning a hole in my DVR for some time). This is very essential for any one who is a fan or even has a mild interest in XTC or rock docs in general. Very insightful and it's really cool that all of the participants are still among the living and mentally stable enough to contribute to the story.
    It kind of leaves you wandering why they can't just drop a new record every now and then. I'm sure the reasons are many but we can still hold out hope.

In the meantime this will have to do -

On a side note, thanks to miamiscot for mentioning Guided By Voices, I've been aware of these guys for many years (they even get played pretty much on the local radio station I listen to) but have never took the time to dig deeper. I just picked up a copy of Space Gun and it's really damn good, definitely will be going into the back catalog.

I thought I knew everything there was to know about XTC but in an interview with Prog Magazine Colin says he got a call from David Gilmour years back and was asked to join Pink Floyd. He obviously said "no."
    I remember that from the book Chalkhills & Children about them that came out in the early 90's. XTC got a new manager and Colin happened to mention that he might want to do session/freelance work, and the manager got Gilmour to call him about auditioning for the Momentary Lapse tour. The book says Colin was tempted but decided not to take that much time away from XTC so he did not audition.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes are definitely their best.

Rob Pollard is a really cool guy who wrote a lot of strange little power pop songs.

Sad new XTC fans: Colin Moulding is retiring (again) and putting TC&I to bed after a great EP and a handful of well-received Swindon gigs. Very sad indeed.
    The Prog Corner

I was going to post something on this today since I just finally watched it last night (it's been burning a hole in my DVR for some time). This is very essential for any one who is a fan or even has a mild interest in XTC or rock docs in general. Very insightful and it's really cool that all of the participants are still among the living and mentally stable enough to contribute to the story.
    It kind of leaves you wandering why they can't just drop a new record every now and then. I'm sure the reasons are many but we can still hold out hope.

In the meantime this will have to do -

On a side note, thanks to miamiscot for mentioning Guided By Voices, I've been aware of these guys for many years (they even get played pretty much on the local radio station I listen to) but have never took the time to dig deeper. I just picked up a copy of Space Gun and it's really damn good, definitely will be going into the back catalog.
    New Guided By Voices LP (their twenty-fifth?), Zeppelin Over China, is to be released on February 1st!!!
    The Prog Corner

Sad new XTC fans: Colin Moulding is retiring (again) and putting TC&I to bed after a great EP and a handful of well-received Swindon gigs. Very sad indeed.
    Ah, man...

i posted this in another XTC thread some time ago, a really nice interview with Colin Moulding a local radio programmer did last year. I had the impression this TC & I project could go on for a while.

https://soundcloud.com/kdhx/kdhx-int...aposition-2418

i posted this in another XTC thread some time ago, a really nice interview with Colin Moulding a local radio programmer did last year. I had the impression this TC & I project could go on for a while.

https://soundcloud.com/kdhx/kdhx-int...aposition-2418
    Sadly no.
    The Prog Corner

New Guided By Voices LP (their twenty-fifth?), Zeppelin Over China, is to be released on February 1st!!!
    Thrilled to see fellow GBV fans on this forum.... Uncle Bob is simply the best!

Aw man. That's a real bummer!

The statement posted on FB reads (in part) that he has to put music "on the back burner" and "spend more time with his family."

Hopefully everything is ok!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Thrilled to see fellow GBV fans on this forum.... Uncle Bob is simply the best!
    You are correct!!! I place GbV in the same category as The Beatles, Yes, Pixies, Genesis and XTC: absolute perfection!
    The Prog Corner

What's a good jumping in point for Guided By Voices? I've never heard anything by them, but those are some strong recommendations.