Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dime Mods: Are These Folks Serious?

Dime Mods: Are These Folks Serious?

So I uploaded a boot to Dime last night and somehow I screwed it up. I have almost no experience with doing these but I realized the mistake I made and wanted to just re-up.

If only it were that simple.

I end up going through this whole ordeal by email to try to re-do this without deleting the original file.

Now let's keep in mind the premise here:

I am attempting to "share the wealth," if you will. Trying to upload something for the benefit of the Dime community. I get nothing out of this except a headache because some of this stuff is a little tricky. I'm sure after I have done a few they will be a no-brainer, but you'd think these folks would understand that some of us are not "experts" at uploading Torrents to DimeADozen the day we are born.

The first email I receive insists that I follow a link which then tells me that I must answer five questions about my replacement Torrent. I attempt to do this, but I guess I make a couple of more "newbie" mistakes.

I then receive a second email that would make John Cleese proud.

I am about to just respond with something like "skip it," but decide not to let this guy get to me and defeat the purpose.

I realize that the Dime Mods surely want people to follow every instruction perfectly so that they don't have any "issues," but man, it's a little scary to think of how many people might be sitting out there with great stuff. And they simply don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with their treatment of new uploaders.

Banned
    i stopped reading at "uploading a boot"

The mods are just as bad at RYM. They get their knickers in a twist over the simplest things. I had submitted something to them that had "from" in the title. I was taught in school that from should not be capitalized. I was told in no uncertain terms that RYM rules were to be followed and that from must be capitalized! I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    The mods are just as bad at RYM. They get their knickers in a twist over the simplest things. I had submitted something to them that had "from" in the title. I was taught in school that from should not be capitalized. I was told in no uncertain terms that RYM rules were to be followed and that from must be capitalized! I'm still trying to figure that one out.
    Unreal.

That's one for the WGAFF!? file.

They are tough, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    But you took the time to post about it.

I tried it once and failed miserably as well. So I just seed whatever I've downloaded for a few months
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    But you took the time to post about it.
    Some people feel compelled to share as many thoughts with a group as they can. It's truly a bewildering concept for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I tried it once and failed miserably as well. So I just seed whatever I've downloaded for a few months
    I can relate. I uploaded a show some years ago but recalled it being such a pain that I just never bothered again.

Definitely feeling that way again x 10.

But I guess my point is that I wonder how much stuff is missing because people like us just say "... the hell with it"?

Banned
    my point is that you started with "Tried to upload a boot"....are bootlegs no longer illegal? They were back in the day.

These are all ROIOs, no commercial releases, nothing posted the artist doesn't want posted. If they are not on Dime, they won't see the light of day.

my point is that you started with "Tried to upload a boot"....are bootlegs no longer illegal? They were back in the day.
    Either this is taking "PC" to a level never considered possible by even the stiffest media censor or you don't know what DimeADozen is all about.

Say it with us: BOOTLEG!

Woooo ... scary.

They sound like some (not all, D.T.) of the mods at RYM.

Frustrated little bureaucrats.

Life is too short.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    They sound like some (not all, D.T.) of the mods at RYM.

Frustrated little bureaucrats.

Life is too short.
    Agreed. I still like RYM. For the most part, it's a very good site. I've made all sorts of contributions to it but that capitalization issue blew my mind. Frustrated little bureaucrats is spot on!

Bill

Pardon my ignorance, but what is RYM?

Yeah, I've been tempted to upload at Dime myself but it seems like more of a headache than anything else. I remember a couple of years ago when previously uncirculated shows by taper Dan Lampinski surfaced. What a great time that was! He did some wonderful audience recordings. It does make you wonder if others are sitting on their own recordings somewhere.

Bill
    Wait till you get something with "but" in the title. According to their capitalization guide it depends on which sense of "but" you're dealing with, whether you need to capitalise it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Yeah, I've been tempted to upload at Dime myself but it seems like more of a headache than anything else. I remember a couple of years ago when previously uncirculated shows by taper Dan Lampinski surfaced. What a great time that was! He did some wonderful audience recordings. It does make you wonder if others are sitting on their own recordings somewhere.
    That's the thing. For every guy like me who is putting up with email that is so condescending it makes me want to puke, there are probably 10 who don't bother dealing with them.

And who knows how many try to follow their "procedure" and don't even get that far because they find it too complicated.

If the goal of Dime is creating a central place for the free sharing of bootlegs, it appears that they must be limiting their database with their approach.

Btw, I'd argue that the reason my problem happened in the first place is because of their odd way of doing things. I don't want to bore folks to tears with technical stuff, but they basically want to replace your Torrent with theirs after you are finished and you download that for Seeding. Well, I did that and meant to delete the old Torrent, but deleted the files along with it.

At least I think that's what happened.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Dime Mods: Are These Folks Serious?
    The mods are just as bad at RYM.
    Yeah, but those Mods at that Progressive Ears site. They really take the cake.

Agreed. I still like RYM. For the most part, it's a very good site. I've made all sorts of contributions to it but that capitalization issue blew my mind. Frustrated little bureaucrats is spot on!

Bill
    I feel your pain! I tried entering a lot of modern classical stuff there once. Never, ever again.

But yes, a good site for all that.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Well, my Torrent was uploaded so problem solved. Old one was deleted.

The last couple of emails have even been just fine. Maybe the one that pissed me off was just an exception. Or maybe the guy realized he was a bit "over the top."

I have a few shows I'm sitting on because it's just too much of a pain. Partly it's a pain just getting all the files ready which is just due to lack of time and inclination on my part. But I have no patience for jumping through all the hoops required by places like Dime. I did upload a couple of things to Archive dot Org which was bad enough. I found the mods there (at least the ones I dealt with) were extremely nice and helpful.

But I don't think my shows are particularly well recorded or anything. It's probably no great loss to the music world.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Some people feel compelled to share as many thoughts with a group as they can. It's truly a bewildering concept for the rest of us.
    Especially the empty thoughts. Sometimes, I think certain people just like to read their own posts.

I've never been a fan of the concept of peer-to-peer sharing. It just makes me nervous about what I might contract from another computer. (Perhaps, that's based in ignorance, but still...) I've found that there are plenty of non-torrent resources for lossless recordings out there and can usually find what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    But I don't think my shows are particularly well recorded or anything. It's probably no great loss to the music world.
    Not necessarily. Some of my favorite recordings are of inferior sound quality. It only takes a little while to listen beyond the quality and enjoy what's being played. There are also many historical recordings that are of marginal quality, but serve a real purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is RYM?
    www.rateyourmusic.com

An excellent site, despite the problems with the mods on occasion, for catalouging your collection and it's great for reviews, polls and all sorts of things related to music and movies.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    Wait till you get something with "but" in the title. According to their capitalization guide it depends on which sense of "but" you're dealing with, whether you need to capitalise it or not...
    This is exactly the type of thing you run into at RYM. Ridiculous.

Bill