Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ENGLAND (Garden Shed) to perform live March 23 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    nice to hear they are back and will play live, maybe they can make it to Progstock 2019!
    Let’s hope so! They’re announcing another Progstock artist on The Waiting Room on House of Prog tomorrow night. I just discovered Garden Shed a couple of weeks ago and loved it. A great unknown prog album from the classic era.

I love Garden Shed but that new album (Box Of Circles) is not good.
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I love Garden Shed but that new album (Box Of Circles) is not good.
    Long time ENGLAND fan..not sure what to make of Box of Circles, I'll give it a couple more spins before trashing it!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Long time ENGLAND fan..not sure what to make of Box of Circles, I'll give it a couple more spins before trashing it!
    When you listen to Box of Circles you must forget Garden Shed. Robert Webb makes completely different music, although he still uses a lot of Mellotrons.
    Box of Circles is for me an ear-opener, especially when you listen to it with the lyrics-sheet in hand: cleaver art-pop/rock, with sometimes almost Monty Python-like humor, but also with a couple of concepts, both in lyrics as in musical themes.
    So don't think - when you listen to it on Spotify - the man can't sing: he's often playing a role.
    But the cover is one of the most ugly ones I know, so that's not a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Definitely give Box some time and effort. It was worth it for me. Webb is a talented songwriter and arranger and once I got past some of the idiosyncrasies I enjoy it. Shame about the cover, particularly after the absolutely brilliant Garden Shed cover. But it is what it is; don't let it sour you on the music.

I only became an England fan about 5 years ago after hearing so much about the album here on PE. I have yet to hear anything by them that I don't grow to like.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    When you listen to Box of Circles you must forget Garden Shed. Robert Webb makes completely different music, although he still uses a lot of Mellotrons.
    Box of Circles is for me an ear-opener, especially when you listen to it with the lyrics-sheet in hand: cleaver art-pop/rock, with sometimes almost Monty Python-like humor, but also with a couple of concepts, both in lyrics as in musical themes.
    So don't think - when you listen to it on Spotify - the man can't sing: he's often playing a role.
    But the cover is one of the most ugly ones I know, so that's not a good starting point.
    Is it anything like the Liquorish Allsorts album?
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Is it anything like the Liquorish Allsorts album?
    Yes and No.
    Yes, because a couple of tracks from "Liquorish Allsorts", as mentioned in the wonderful booklet, are "from the forthcoming CD "Box Of Circles":
    - Destiny (one of my favourite tracks)
    - Carmina Burana (O Fortuna).
    No, "Liquorish Allsorts" is a compilation-album, with tracks Robert Webb recorded between 1974 and 2014 with different groups and as solo-artists, while "Box Of Circles" is - despite different styles of music - a kind of concept-album.