Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARENA - Damian Wilson joins as singer

ARENA - Damian Wilson joins as singer

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/aren...damian-wilson/

Interesting choice, he's certainly a lot different than their previous singers...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

WOW! that's a bit shocking to read of Paul's decision to leave the band. I didn't think Arena did that much touring as compared to other bands, so the suggestion touring was part of the decision is a bit puzzling.
    But true to Arena form and their history of musical chairs lead singer departures, it makes sense.
    It took me quite awhile to warm up to Paul's vocals, but by the second album I really liked him, and it was nice not having the "dramatic" vocal interpretations for the music. I did find that was part of the Arena charm early on but Paul was a welcome breath of fresh air.

Looking forward to hear how they sound with Damien.

On a sidenote, at first look I couldn't figure out who the person was in the photo on the far right because he looked so different with the long Wizard like beard. Great photo of the new line-up tho.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Damian will fit in, I'm sure. Very versatile singer.

On the face of it, Paul Manzi has made a couple of odd career decisions, leaving Arena and Cats In Space for The Sweet. After all, Andy Scott must be Eleventy one or thereabouts by now so there can't be too many years left in his tank. However, if the income is a lot more regular and/or he is a big fan of the band, it's understandable, I suppose.

Well - that's Arena dead to me. One of the worst voices I've heard.
    Sit Quietly and Listen to the Breeze

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ives View Post
    Don't hold back - how do you really feel?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ives View Post
    Wow, really?? I was sad that he left Threshold but don't like Arena anyway.

First Arena lp auto buy for me!

Great news! First heard Damian on Threshold's very first album, and have followed his career since.

I think Paul Wrightson on The Visitor is the best vocal they have had yet. I'm less concerned about the vocals than the musical direction. Can't quite find their groove lately.

Rob Sowdon has always been my favourite Arena vocalist though I like them all well enough.

I'm just amazed John Mitchell's still with the band. He's an insanely busy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by LidaUnaBass View Post
    I think Paul Wrightson on The Visitor is the best vocal they have had yet. I'm less concerned about the vocals than the musical direction. Can't quite find their groove lately.
    I've listened to everything they've done, and Songs From the Lions' Cage is STILL their best.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Arena ~ The Visitor ~ "Double Vision"

Quote Originally Posted by LidaUnaBass View Post
    The last Arena CD I bought almost 20 years ago, so for some odd reason I had this on-loop over and over...

°º¤ø,¸¸, ღ°º¤ø,¸♫♪ƸӜƷ♫♪ღº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°
    #CurrentMood ♪ |●̲̅̅|​̲̅̅=̲̅​̅|̲̅̅●​̲̅̅|♫♪˛🦄😊💖
    ღ°º¤ø,¸♫♪♫♪¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø♫♪♫♪

🤠/𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒇𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆
    /▌𝑫𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒏 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒘𝒂𝒕𝒄𝒉 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒏 𝑨𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍 𝒐𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒘
    / \𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒇𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆
    𝑳𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒏 𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒅𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒊𝒈𝒏𝒐𝒓𝒆
    𝑵𝒐 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒓𝒖𝒏
    𝑵𝒐 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒊𝒅𝒆

𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆
    𝑨 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒃𝒐𝒓𝒏 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒔
    (𝒀𝒆𝒔!) 𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆
    𝑨 𝒎𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒚 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒚 𝒖𝒏𝒇𝒐𝒍𝒅𝒔

𝗡𝗼 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗿𝘂𝗻
    𝗡𝗼 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗶𝗱𝗲
    𝗡𝗼 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗿𝘂𝗻
    𝗡𝗼 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗶𝗱𝗲

...."𝗜 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗮𝗹𝘄𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝘆𝗼𝘂!"

𝗪𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲
    𝗖𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗻𝗼 𝗰𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗸𝗲𝗲𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗰𝗼𝗿𝗲
    (𝗬𝗲𝘀!) 𝗪𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲
    𝗘𝘆𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗻𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝗹𝗹

𝗜'𝘃𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲

Line-up / Musicians
    * Paul Wrightson / vocals
    * John Mitchell / guitars, backing vocals
    * Clive Nolan / keyboards, backing vocals, programming & co-producer
    * John Jowitt / bass, backing vocals
    * Mick Pointer / drums

References:

Arena ~ Double Vision
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icBhog4yXj4

Arena ~ The Visitor (1998 Studio Album)
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=117

Arena ~ Double Vision lyrics
    https://genius.com/Arena-double-vision-lyrics

Arena – Double Vision (Album Review)
    By Austin Kokel (May 24, 2018)
    https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...double-vision/

Paul Manzi departed Cats in Space last year as well. Is he leaving the music business? I can't imagine being the lead singer for The Sweet-or what's left of The Sweet-is a full time job on its own.

Cats In Space's replacement for Paul has already left them apparently. Paul to go back to them maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I've listened to everything they've done, and Songs From the Lions' Cage is STILL their best.
    Very well could be, but I like Pride about as much. "Empire of a Thousand Days" and "Sirens" are what symph prog's all about. They rocked the roof off Prog Fest '97 (to the dismay of some attendees).

The albums "Unquiet sky" (2015), XX (2016) and Double Vision (2018) are BIG misses for Arena. IMHO the last creative one was The 7th Degree of Separation (2011) that had a few classic moments for Arena fans.
    My favorites are: Songs from the Lion's Cage, The Visitor, Contagion and Pepper's Ghost.

But 3 albums in a row that do not show any progress or inspire artistic merit for the band and is not a good thing. Sadly, as always, they take it on the vocalist that BTW Paul Manzi was excellent and Paul Wrightson was even better. I enjoyed both Pauls.
    There is no way Paul left due to "heavy" touring, come on' guys please find another excuse. Mick & Clive who make all the decisions, always give the brilliant John Mitchell the nod although, the bass player sometimes is the scapegoat as well.

I have a few doubts on how Damian Wilson will blend with his vocal style and range, but giving him the benefit of the doubt - that remains to be seen and heard ;-)
    Last edited by Rajaz; 07-17-2020 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Why is the new Arena CD so damn expensive? $24 is the going rate for a 1CD digipak! Crazy. Who do they think they are, Lifesigns?

Having a listen now:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why is the new Arena CD so damn expensive? $24 is the going rate for a 1CD digipak! Crazy. Who do they think they are, Lifesigns?
    Fanboys pay more. I expect to buy it for $16~...before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Fanboys pay more. I expect to buy it for $16~...before the end of the year.
    But wouldn't that apply to considerably more artists than just Arena? This one does seem unusually priced in comparison with their peers. I just checked the Amazon Canada pre-order price and it is $58.64. That's for a single CD, not the larger deluxe set. The vinyl is $111.40. Now, I expect that should fall, but still that seems odd to be coming in at such a ridiculous price - even for typically clueless Amazon.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    As someone who still buys CD's I am finding that prices in general seem to be going up quite a bit these days. Agree $24 is a crazy price though.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    But wouldn't that apply to considerably more artists than just Arena? This one does seem unusually priced in comparison with their peers. I just checked the Amazon Canada pre-order price and it is $58.64. That's for a single CD, not the larger deluxe set. The vinyl is $111.40. Now, I expect that should fall, but still that seems odd to be coming in at such a ridiculous price - even for typically clueless Amazon.
    Those are some crazy bat poop prices...would be much cheaper to buy directly from the Arena Merchandise Store...$40 for the vinyl and $20 for the cd.
    https://www.arenaband.co.uk/
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Those are some crazy bat poop prices...would be much cheaper to buy directly from the Arena Merchandise Store...$40 for the vinyl and $20 for the cd.
    https://www.arenaband.co.uk/
    Not dollars. Priced in pounds. 40 pounds and 20 pounds. Plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Not dollars. Priced in pounds. 40 pounds and 20 pounds. Plus shipping.
    Checked the Arena's website for the deluxe version. 40 pounds did not look bad to me ... that is until they asked 30 pounds for shipping. Quite insane pricing. Not sure what is included in this deluxe version, but 2 CDs and hard cover 16 page book included hardly seem to be worth it. Is it the 2nd CD making the difference and, if so, what could be possibly on it to make fans go extra mile. Or is it the booklet and, if so, what's in it ... naked Clive would certainly not make me get it? Go figure.

Possibly the best option is for the concert goers to get it directly from the band on the spot. Oh well, not a choice for the ones on this side of the pond. And yeah, the tour seems to be very hectic for the band in October.
    https://www.arenaband.co.uk/tour-dates-2022/
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

There's a good interview with Clive here