Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Remember What This Album Is

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Help Me Remember What This Album Is

PLEASE NOTE - the album has been identified (Kevin Coyne - Sugar Candy Taxi)

Sorry, not much to go on - I have the CD but haven't seen it in a long time.

The booklet has a mostly yellow cover. It's a guy who I think just sings and plays guitar, but I don't really remember the instrumentation that well. Very primitive, he just kind of wails away, mad lyrics. I seem to remember the word "taxi" or "car" being involved, but I could be wrong.

The main point is that his delivery was very primitive and unadorned, so not someone well known. I think I got it used at Downtown Music Gallery or something.

If anyone gets this I'll be surprised! I just can't remember the guy's name at all.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-09-2019 at 07:31 AM.

BOOM
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^ Nope!

I feel like Steve F. or Ken G. will know what this guy's name is.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Nope!
    1. The booklet has a mostly yellow cover. - Check

2. It's a guy who I think just sings and plays guitar - Check

3. Very primitive, he just kind of wails away - Check
    http://marijaplavsic.com/portfolio/film/love-hunters (play video after :50 seconds)

4. mad lyrics. "I hope that no one stands me up, that no one kills my heart blah blah, no one kill me I as to seeeeee. I just left my heart blah, hope that it will find a treeeeee". - Check

5. I seem to remember the word "taxi" or "car" being involved - Check

6. The main point is that his delivery was very primitive and unadorned, so not someone well known. - Check (see above)

7. I think I got it used at Downtown Music Gallery or something. It takes place in NYC, so - Check

8. I just can't remember the guy's name at all. - Milan Mumin!

Clearly you're in denial.

It wasn't a soundtrack, I can tell you that. The guy just went by his name, which was a pretty ordinary name. That's what makes it so hard to remember - it's like trying to remember an old co-worker's name.

Harry Chapin? Singer songwriter who just played acoustic guitar and who had a song called Taxi. I believe the album Heads and Tales had a yellow cover that looked like a...yellow cab. Ba Da Boom!
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-19-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Harry Chapin? Singer songwriter who just played acoustic guitar and who had a song called Taxi. I believe the album Heads and Tales had a yellow cover that looked like a...yellow cab. Ba Da Boom!
    R-1265493-1327206939.jpeg.jpg

The booklet has a mostly yellow cover. It's a guy who I think just sings and plays guitar […]. Very primitive, he just kind of wails away, mad lyrics. […] unadorned, so not someone well known. I think I got it used at Downtown Music Gallery
    All of these points would fit Simon Finn's Pass the Distance from 1970, although I suppose it's not that one. But it garnered a new cult audience in the 2000s, with reissues pushing far more copies than the original release and certainly among a certain crowd who'd frequent DMG. I guess it was the "Vashti Bunyan effect" of things.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Keep in mind when the OP says someone is not very well known, you have to take that with a grain of salt. He didn't know who Adele, the Kardashians, Beyonce and Nick Faldo etc etc were. So "someone not well known" may mean "someone not well known to me"...

It's definitely not someone mainstream at all.

It's not Chapin?! Just about every aspect of your description fit that Chapin album. The only thing that didn't was the primitive and wailing away delivery, which some people might describe as Tom Waits....Oh well, gave it my best shot.

It's not Chapin?! Just about every aspect of your description fit that Chapin album. The only thing that didn't was the primitive and wailing away delivery, which some people might describe as Tom Waits....Oh well, gave it my best shot.
    Chapin is well known. It was an older guy, a crackpot sort of.

He'll realize at some point that it's Milan Mumin.

FWIW, I came across that Chapin image when I searched as well lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

Never heard of Milan Mumin. No, again, I have a feeling that Ken G. will know. I might have bought the CD from him. But I really can't remember.

It was almost like he was a cracked, American version of Roy Harper, but again more primitive. The lyrics seemed very stream of consciousness..

Ken G. will know.
    Kenny G. never knows.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

I came up with Chapin solely due to his description and the taxi reference. The only thing I checked on was the exact name of the album, as I could not remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Kenny G. never knows.
    You are correct. I have no idea what he's talking about.

^

I think the taxi thing was a red herring, it's just a car. Well, I'll have to take some mescaline and see if I can remember...

How important is it to remember an album where you can't remember the artist, the name of the album and not even one song from the album, lol? Obviously it didn't make much of an impression. Maybe it's buried underneath all those box sets.

Maybe it's buried underneath all those box sets.
    Hey....That's Me! Just found my DVD of "A Christmas Carol" buried under the Pile of King Crimson Box Sets!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Hey....That's Me! Just found my DVD of "A Christmas Carol" buried under the Pile of King Crimson Box Sets!
    There's a message in there...Think of it as a wrestling match...Crimson had body slammed the x-mas DVD and was going for the pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    All of these points would fit Simon Finn's Pass the Distance from 1970, although I suppose it's not that one. But it garnered a new cult audience in the 2000s, with reissues pushing far more copies than the original release and certainly among a certain crowd who'd frequent DMG. I guess it was the "Vashti Bunyan effect" of things.

OT: I didn't know Simon Finn, but this cover looks a lot like 2nd Vision's First Steps (later released as John Etheridge and Ric Sanders):

R-5410440-1417208912-8829.jpeg.jpg

The back-cover mentions: "courtesy of Start-Rite Shoes Ltd."

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!