Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runaways Bassist Jackie Fox (now Fuchs) Is Jeopardy Champion

Runaways Bassist Jackie Fox (now Fuchs) Is Jeopardy Champion

Runaways bassist Jackie Fox, who is now a Harvard Law School grad & practicing attorney, won Jeopardy last Friday and yesterday (Monday). I tape it & haven't seen today's yet, but when I first saw her Friday, I thought immediately that even though she was 50ish she looked familiar, but when Trebek said during the chit-chat period, "so I hear you were once in an all-girl rock band" and she matter-of-factly said. "yes, I was the bass player in a group called the Runaways", I had my a-ha moment.

Not a peep of band name recognition from the studio audience, which didn't surprise me. There's stuff all over you tube about her Jeopardy run if anyone's interested.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

UPDATE: She won again today, so is a 3 day champion.

IMO, she's aged very well!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

She's very impressive on the show.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That's pretty cool! I had no idea Alex Trebek was still hosting that show.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer
    but when Trebek said during the chit-chat period, "so I hear you were once in an all-girl rock band" and she matter-of-factly said. "yes, I was the bass player in a group called the Runaways"
    I watch Jeopardy most days, but I somehow missed this exchange. I sure remember the Runaways. Good on Jackie. A smart and attractive woman. I looked her up, and her birth name is Jacqueline Fuchs.

Way cool. Must watch.

She was on Millionaire in 2013 also
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I haven't watched Jeopardy in something like 20 years. Jackie's been a lawyer for quite a few years now, at least a decade, probably more. I know read that she sued the producers of that Runaways movie that was made a few years ago, to keep them from using her name in it, so they to use a fictitious bass player in the film (which also served to avoid talking about the Grateful Dead/Uriah Heep/Spinal Tap-esque revolving door that was the bass player position in that band).

Apropos to nothing, Cherie Currie basically saved Jackie's life during the Runaways Japanese tour. Jackie basically had a nervous breakdown and was inches away from slitting her wrists with a shard from a broken hotel room mirror when Cherie stormed in and forced it out of Jackie's hand.

I don't give a damn what anyone says, the Runaways were one tight rock n roll band. I've got all the original albums, and I think they're all great records.

Take that, Rick Johnson!

Jackie won again today for a 4th time. If she wins tomorrow she'll be back for the champions tourney.

During today's chit-chat, Trebek asked her, "I heard you were once on the Dating Game". To which she replied, "Yes I was, but I was jealous of the other girl on the show that day, who wound up picking bachelor Pee-Wee Herman".

I'm a little surprised that the fame level of her band hasn't been brought up once in 4 days.

Damn, she still is one hot 50-something!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

I'm a little surprised that the fame level of her band hasn't been brought up once in 4 days.
    Maybe because this isn't Japan, the only territory where the Runaways were "big" (isn't everyone big in Japan)? I think Lita Ford once said the only thing you need to be popular in Japan is blonde hair.

All seriousness aside, the Runaways really weren't that successful Stateside. In this country, they're just barely known as the band Lita Ford and Joan Jett were in before their respective solo careers kicked off. Beyond that, Cherie Currie occasionally bobs to the surface, first as an actress (you ever see Wavelength? Great sci-fi flick with Cherie as a psychic who can communicate with extraterrestrials who've crashlanded on Earth, with a Tangerine Dream score, to boot!), then a chainsaw artist (you heard right, she carves stuff out of wood, using a chainsaw!) and the occasional new album or tour. I believe I saw her on a local morning show a few years ago, doing an acoustic (?!?!?!) version of Cherry Bomb. Or did I hallucinate that?

Maybe someone in the Jeopardy production office doesn't know about the band's legacy. Or maybe they're afraid that "popular in Japan, and two former members who had highly successful solo careers during the 80's" isn't something that the average "Jeopardy viewer" can/will relate to. Maybe if Jackie had been on the show back in 1988, it would have been different.

Or maybe she prefers to not talk about The Runaways. Like I said, she was on the verge of suicide when she left the band, and the Edgeplay documentary made it seem like it wasn't really a happy scene for any of them. So maybe she was like "Yeah, I used to be in this band, yeah, a couple of my bandmates became famous after we broke up, but I'd prefer to not talk about it".

Come to think of it, I suspect those "Get to know you" things are kinda like what they do on talk shows, where they do the pre-interview. A production assistant sits down with the interviewee and asks for an "interesting story" or two to tell, so that interview isn't just about plugging whatever TV show, movie, or what-have-you, you're providing a cute story as well, for entertainment purposes. When Jay Leno or David Letterman or Johnny Carson (or any of the amateurs who've taken their place) would start an interview with "So, I heard you just got back from..." or "I heard you almost killed yourself on your vacation, what happened?", that's a setup for a prearranged story to be told.

So I can see several scenarios:

1. Jackie tells them about her life now, first of all, about her law practice, her family, whatever amusing stuff that's happened in her life that didn't nearly end in her slitting her wrists. Then maybe she says, "Oh yeah, and I was in this band when I was a teenager", i.e. she didn't say "I was in a band with Joan Jett and Lita Ford, and we made three records together, we were huge in Japan, did a tour over there, appeared on multiple TV programs, etc, and are regarded in some circles as the first significant all girl hard rock band, and a precursor to the riot grrrl thing of the 90's".

2. Beyond any info that Jackie might have given the Jeopardy people about her life as a bassist, I somehow can well imagine that nobody connected with Jeoprady has any clue about The Runaways. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't buy Canadian Conspirator Trebek or anyone else he works knowing much about 70's rock music. I can't imagine they're any hipper than the production team on Regis and Kathie Lee (see Regis and Kathie's interview with Steve Howe and Bill Bruford for evidence they were clueless about Yes).

3. Even if anyone was hip enough to know who The Runaways were, they might think it'd be "not interesting to the average Jeopardy viewer" or whatever. I mean, it's like if they had someone from Thin Lizzy or UFO on..."Yeah, I was the guy who replaced Pete Way", I mean, to the average person watching at home, that's like a big "So what?!". At least, I can see some TV producer predicting that as the response.

4. As I said mentioned earlier, Jackie's tenure in the band basically ended with her almost taking her own life (and judging from the Edgeplay film, it doesn't seem like it was a very happy time for any of them). Maybe she doesn't mind acknowledging the band, but she doesn't really like talking about it. Like say, in the off chance that Alex (or whichever production assistant or whatever) just happens to know who the Runaways were, maybe she doesn't like talking about or remembering it. I can see her saying, "Yea, I was in the Runaways, but let's not make too big a deal out of it".

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Neat!

BTW, speaking of sort of famous rock musicians being on game shows, I recall reading, back in the 90's, another bassist, this time Mike Levene from Triumph, was on Wheel Of Fortune. I think he lost, though.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Maybe because this isn't Japan, the only territory where the Runaways were "big" (isn't everyone big in Japan)? I think Lita Ford once said the only thing you need to be popular in Japan is blonde hair.

All seriousness aside, the Runaways really weren't that successful Stateside. In this country, they're just barely known as the band Lita Ford and Joan Jett were in before their respective solo careers kicked off. Beyond that, Cherie Currie occasionally bobs to the surface, first as an actress (you ever see Wavelength? Great sci-fi flick with Cherie as a psychic who can communicate with extraterrestrials who've crashlanded on Earth, with a Tangerine Dream score, to boot!), then a chainsaw artist (you heard right, she carves stuff out of wood, using a chainsaw!) and the occasional new album or tour. I believe I saw her on a local morning show a few years ago, doing an acoustic (?!?!?!) version of Cherry Bomb. Or did I hallucinate that?

Maybe someone in the Jeopardy production office doesn't know about the band's legacy. Or maybe they're afraid that "popular in Japan, and two former members who had highly successful solo careers during the 80's" isn't something that the average "Jeopardy viewer" can/will relate to. Maybe if Jackie had been on the show back in 1988, it would have been different.

Or maybe she prefers to not talk about The Runaways. Like I said, she was on the verge of suicide when she left the band, and the Edgeplay documentary made it seem like it wasn't really a happy scene for any of them. So maybe she was like "Yeah, I used to be in this band, yeah, a couple of my bandmates became famous after we broke up, but I'd prefer to not talk about it".

Come to think of it, I suspect those "Get to know you" things are kinda like what they do on talk shows, where they do the pre-interview. A production assistant sits down with the interviewee and asks for an "interesting story" or two to tell, so that interview isn't just about plugging whatever TV show, movie, or what-have-you, you're providing a cute story as well, for entertainment purposes. When Jay Leno or David Letterman or Johnny Carson (or any of the amateurs who've taken their place) would start an interview with "So, I heard you just got back from..." or "I heard you almost killed yourself on your vacation, what happened?", that's a setup for a prearranged story to be told.

So I can see several scenarios:

1. Jackie tells them about her life now, first of all, about her law practice, her family, whatever amusing stuff that's happened in her life that didn't nearly end in her slitting her wrists. Then maybe she says, "Oh yeah, and I was in this band when I was a teenager", i.e. she didn't say "I was in a band with Joan Jett and Lita Ford, and we made three records together, we were huge in Japan, did a tour over there, appeared on multiple TV programs, etc, and are regarded in some circles as the first significant all girl hard rock band, and a precursor to the riot grrrl thing of the 90's".

2. Beyond any info that Jackie might have given the Jeopardy people about her life as a bassist, I somehow can well imagine that nobody connected with Jeoprady has any clue about The Runaways. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't buy Canadian Conspirator Trebek or anyone else he works knowing much about 70's rock music. I can't imagine they're any hipper than the production team on Regis and Kathie Lee (see Regis and Kathie's interview with Steve Howe and Bill Bruford for evidence they were clueless about Yes).

3. Even if anyone was hip enough to know who The Runaways were, they might think it'd be "not interesting to the average Jeopardy viewer" or whatever. I mean, it's like if they had someone from Thin Lizzy or UFO on..."Yeah, I was the guy who replaced Pete Way", I mean, to the average person watching at home, that's like a big "So what?!". At least, I can see some TV producer predicting that as the response.

4. As I said mentioned earlier, Jackie's tenure in the band basically ended with her almost taking her own life (and judging from the Edgeplay film, it doesn't seem like it was a very happy time for any of them). Maybe she doesn't mind acknowledging the band, but she doesn't really like talking about it. Like say, in the off chance that Alex (or whichever production assistant or whatever) just happens to know who the Runaways were, maybe she doesn't like talking about or remembering it. I can see her saying, "Yea, I was in the Runaways, but let's not make too big a deal out of it".
    One thing's for sure, you've sure given it a lot of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    That made me aspirate my coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    That made me aspirate my coffee!
    We all need our aspirations.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

NPR just recognized her and mentioned it was her birthday today.....59.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I record Jeopardy but hadn't watched in a while. I am all caught up with her shows and she's been really fun to watch.
    Was surprised that she didn't seem to know that the Beatles played in Hamburg. She passed on that one but man. she is one smart cookie and I agree, she looks great.

If she wins today she'll all but guarantee a spot in the tournament of champions. I'm sure she knew all the Fab Four clues yesterday but the other contestants buzzed in first on some of them. They were easy for even casual Beatles fans. She's a solid consistent player. So far she hasn't dominated the games enough to make them runaways but is always in the lead going into final Jeopardy ensuring her the win if she answers correctly and bets enough to cover her opponents bets.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sometimes it's not that you don't know something, it's just that you can't come up with the answer fast enough. We all have loads of trivia in the back of our minds somewhere. Accessing a given fact is not easy when the timer is on. We try to answer before the contestant while watching at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead
    NPR just recognized her and mentioned it was her birthday today.....59.
    Which means she was born in '59. Magic...or math.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    So far she hasn't dominated the games enough to make them runaways but is always in the lead going into final Jeopardy ensuring her the win if she answers correctly and bets enough to cover her opponents bets.
    I see what you did there.

She has had a few senior moments like...................like......................I 'm sorry, what was I saying?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

'Jeopardy!' Champ Jackie Fuchs Medical Emergency ... Midway Through Show

Jackie Fuchs, the former Runaways bassist and reigning queen of 'Jeopardy,' had a major health scare while taping the show ... and it was so bad, she thought she was having a stroke!

Jackie tells us midway through the latest 'Jeopardy' contest her blood sugar levels crashed, causing her to lose control of her motor functions. She says the studio audience absolutely noticed too, and even groaned as she was struggling to speak.

If you've been watching Jackie dominate her 'Jeopardy' competition, you know she's on a four-night win streak heading into Thursday's episode. Jackie says her medical emergency will most likely be edited out. Meanwhile, she's just trying hard not to reveal anything about the final result.

Jackie's win streak on the show started last Friday, but it wasn't until this week Alex Trebek revealed her rock star past with Joan Jett's all-female rock group. tmz.com

You are being polite. I thought it was a bit stalker-ish.

Be honest, did you actually read it?