Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runaways Bassist Jackie Fox (now Fuchs) Is Jeopardy Champion

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    One thing's for sure, you've sure given it a lot of thought.
    It took me 45 minutes to write that damn post. I thought I was gonna sit down at the computer for just a couple minutes, before going to bed, and instead I was here for damn 3/4's of an hour!

WOW! I had no clue about her health scare on the show until you posted that!

In retrospect, she is 59 years old and has (no macabre reference intended) what can only be called a "Karen Carpenter" body (no idea whether or not she has/had eating disorder issues along with her well-documented other problems), so while that surprises, it doesn't shock.

It still took a descendant of Confucius to beat her.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I was pleased she at least knew which band John Entwistle played in.

Did she win last night, Thursday?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Did she win last night, Thursday?
    No, and perhaps it was as a result of the health scare.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    If she wins today she'll all but guarantee a spot in the tournament of champions. I'm sure she knew all the Fab Four clues yesterday but the other contestants buzzed in first on some of them. They were easy for even casual Beatles fans. She's a solid consistent player. So far she hasn't dominated the games enough to make them runaways but is always in the lead going into final Jeopardy ensuring her the win if she answers correctly and bets enough to cover her opponents bets.
    That's what surprised me on the Hamburg non answer. The other contestants had already chimed in incorrectly and she had a lay up but didn't respond. Oh well, she had a great run and I hope she stays healthy. She did seem non responsive in the first round last night. It was very odd but now understandable. I wonder if there is a chance she comes back on the show for the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    I wonder if there is a chance she comes back on the show for the tourney.
    Yes there's a chance. They start ranking with the five game or more winners. Then they go to the four game winners. These are ranked by dollar amount won. As long as she is ahead of enough of the four game winners she will be in the tournament.

Yes there's a chance. They start ranking with the five game or more winners. Then they go to the four game winners. These are ranked by dollar amount won. As long as she is ahead of enough of the four game winners she will be in the tournament.
    Thanks for the info. Will be pulling for her.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    You are being polite. I thought it was a bit stalker-ish.
    Geek may be anal af, but he's no stalker.

“Hey, Bruce Dickinson can fly 747s,” she counters, sticking up for the rich tradition of brainiacs in rock. “You didn’t know that? He pilots Iron Maiden’s 747 to tour stops. Come on. That’s way more interesting than anything I’ve ever done.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ex...cid=spartanntp

Thanks for posting that. Interesting that Cherie Currie denied Jackie's claim that she was raped by Kim Fowley. I kinda had the impression from watching the Edgeplay film that Cherie was one of the girls that Fowley had his way with, or at least that he was a real sleaze toward the girls in the band.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    WOW! I had no clue about her health scare on the show until you posted that!

In retrospect, she is 59 years old and has (no macabre reference intended) what can only be called a "Karen Carpenter" body (no idea whether or not she has/had eating disorder issues along with her well-documented other problems), so while that surprises, it doesn't shock.

It still took a descendant of Confucius to beat her.
    There is a difference between someone who's skinny, and one who's scary skinny due to an eating disorder. I have worked with the latter in my job as a mental health professional, and Jackie is not one of them. I've worked with a fashion model who's extremely weight conscious, but even she's nowhere near scary skinny.

Update: I've worked with at least 1 morbidly obese (to use medical terminology) diabetic who's had exactly the same kinds of medical crises as Jackie reportedly had.
    Last edited by progmatist; 12-23-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

She was also on The Chase as a contestant.

One thing in that article that was posted was here commentary about how she didn't perform well on other game shows because they had a much faster pace than Jeopardy. I think she felt Jeopardy's slower pace was what helped here succeed there.

I find that interesting, because I recall one of original Jeopardy host Art Fleming's criticisms of the "new" version of the show was that the pace was too slow. On the original version of the show, you could buzz in as soon as Art started reading the clue, whereas on the new one, you have to wait til Trebek finishes reading it. He said you'd get people who'd figure they knew a lot about a given category so they'd take the chance and buzz in immediately, and that made for a much faster, edgier competition.

For what it's worth, Art also felt the questions were too easy, and he didn't like that the losers didn't get to take home whatever money they finished with. He was fond of telling contestants who came in third or whatever, "So sorry, but at least you have plane fare home". He said he felt even if you lost at least you got to go home with something.

The second and third place finishers now get $2000 for second and $1000 for third. They don't get what they earned because the show wants contestants playing and employing betting strategies to win the game and not just being satisfied with a one day payout.

I watch one episode of Jeopardy every night, and have about 16 of them queued up on the DVR due to being out of state so often. So I haven't yet seen these ones.

I get a big kick when I know the answer to final jeopardy, but none of the contestants do. (Only happens about once a month, though.)
    Regards,

Duncan

The second and third place finishers now get $2000 for second and $1000 for third.
    When did they start doing that? I always had the understanding that all they got were "parting gifts" or whatever.

For several years, Chris.

^^At least 10 years. It's been the same amount. You would think they would have increased by a thousand the amount by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I get a big kick when I know the answer to final jeopardy, but none of the contestants do. (Only happens about once a month, though.)
    This almost happened to me tonight. I knew the final Jeopardy answer and the first two they went to didn't, but the other one knew it.

This almost happened to me tonight. I knew the final Jeopardy answer and the first two they went to didn't, but the other one knew it.
    Exactly the same here, and J.K.R. seemed so obvious to me.

^^At least 10 years. It's been the same amount. You would think they would have increased by a thousand the amount by now.

Oh well, like I said, I really haven't watched it much in the last 20 or so years. I think the last time i watched it regularly, Trebek still had the mustache.

I guessed Stephen King. I figured he has been a writing machine for decades with a bunch of movie deals. Didn't even think of Rowling as Im not into Potter in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I guessed Stephen King. I figured he has been a writing machine for decades with a bunch of movie deals. Didn't even think of Rowling as Im not into Potter in the least.
    Yep. I guessed King, too. Rowling made more sense, though, as she's known to be charitable.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    ...Didn't even think of Rowling as Im not into Potter in the least.
    Completely off-topic:

You might like to read Robert Galbraith's books. "Robert Galbraith" is actually Rowling, who tried to write a completely different genre, under a different name, but she was quickly exposed.

The books revolve around an ex military policeman who has a small, mostly-unsuccessful detective agency in London. The stories are a bit long-winded, very detailed, and contain a huge number of characters, and in that way, they're (refreshingly?) old-fashioned. But they're a good read.

Okay - back on-topic now
    Regards,

Duncan