Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Zombies vs. Fast Zombies

Slow Zombies vs. Fast Zombies

I was more a classic Romero / Walking Dead style slow moving stretched out arms Zombies type fan. When I first saw running Zombies ( from memory in a Zac Snyder movie) I was a bit confused and not sure if I liked it. I quite liked World War Z and last week I saw the great Corean Zombie flic : Last train to Busan which I liked a lot and which made my balance shift to the running Zombie species.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

LOL! I have no strong preference, done well I think they both work beautifully! I recommend the film Warm Bodies, which is a romantic comedy with zombies and is actually a pretty darned good film. I particularly like it for its depiction of slow zombies "evolving" (devolving?) into fast, more skeleton-like zombies. I thought that was a really clever idea, in addition to seeing things from the perspective of a zombie.

Last Train to Busan is awesome!

Bill

I thought you were referring to Magma, and of course fast Zombies is much better. :-)
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I thought you meant the band The Zombies if they were playing fast or slow. LOL!

I'm kind of a slow zombie purist, but I've seen a lot of zombie films/shows and have enjoyed some with fast zombies. Zombie media is a fun, interesting genre, with always more to catch up on.

Depends on how I wanna feel. Slow ones have that insidious quality, can create good tension, be quite unsettling in their insistence. Or they can be boring as hell.
    Sometimes funny.

Fast make for great anxiety and terror. The idea of so many bodies taking on a form close to floodwaters and tidal waves in WWZ was effective.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Who can run faster, Colin Blunstone or Rod Argent?

28 Days Later for fast zombies
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I think I prefer the slow zombies, just because the real trap is over-thinking, or basic social dysfunction.

Fast zombies aren't much different than a pack of rabid animals. Horrible, with plenty of terror, but not as distinctive as the slow shambling gait of the unliving.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I think I prefer the slow zombies, just because the real trap is over-thinking, or basic social dysfunction.

Fast zombies aren't much different than a pack of rabid animals. Horrible, with plenty of terror, but not as distinctive as the slow shambling gait of the unliving.
    Also, mummies should be slow. Those 90s and more recent Mummy movies aren't real Mummy movies.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    28 Days Later for fast zombies

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I was more a classic Romero / Walking Dead style slow moving stretched out arms Zombies type fan. When I first saw running Zombies ( from memory in a Zac Snyder movie) I was a bit confused and not sure if I liked it. I quite liked World War Z and last week I saw the great Corean Zombie flic : Last train to Busan which I liked a lot and which made my balance shift to the running Zombie species.
    If you prefer Romero zombies, do NOT miss a 2012 film titled, simply, The Dead. It's great.

And I love Zack Snyder's remake of Romero's Dawn of the Dead (the '78 film is my favorite zombie epic, period).

World War Z rocked, too. Gears are finally moving for the sequel.

^ That remake of Dawn of the Dead is a lot of fun! Yes, the original DotD is what got me hooked. Love it. I remember feeling exhilarated and queezy after first seeing it in a theater when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ That remake of Dawn of the Dead is a lot of fun! Yes, the original DotD is what got me hooked. Love it. I remember feeling exhilarated and queezy after first seeing it in a theater when it came out.
    Same for me , still my favourite Zombie movie. Btw wasn't there a different soundtrack in the US release ( not Goblin) ?

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Same for me , still my favourite Zombie movie. Btw wasn't there a different soundtrack in the US release ( not Goblin) ?
    I think it was the same soundtrack, but a bit of the film was cut for the US.

It's the time of the season for Zombies

I thought you meant the band The Zombies if they were playing fast or slow. LOL!
    So did I!

I'm kind of a slow zombie purist, but I've seen a lot of zombie films/shows and have enjoyed some with fast zombies. Zombie media is a fun, interesting genre, with always more to catch up on.
    I'm with you on the slow zombies. To me that's what they should be; it doesn't make much sense for a "true zombie" to be quick, IMO, since they're just animated decaying corpses basically.

But I've seen movies with fast zombies that I still enjoyed, so I'm not completely averse to the idea.

SLOW ZOMBIES. But, yes I did still enjoy World War Z. Perhaps because it was so epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    SLOW ZOMBIES. But, yes I did still enjoy World War Z. Perhaps because it was so epic.
    The production budget was on point, and the ending slayed.

I’ve kind of got zombie fatigue, so if there were a year in the future where we all agreed to have a complete moratorium on undead-based entertainment, I’d be completely OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    ]
    This will, however, never not make me laugh!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I watched World War Z because of the mentions here. I thought it was edited so that things happened far too quickly - I'm not a fan of that kind of editing. I mostly thought it seemed like a rehash of parts of I Am Legend, and the undead horde scenes from Game of Thrones. I guess when it comes to zombie movies I need time to savor the zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    If you prefer Romero zombies, do NOT miss a 2012 film titled, simply, The Dead. It's great.
    I'm having trouble finding this. Can't seem to find a reference online, but maybe need a director's name or something.

Maybe it's this, and from 2010?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dead_(2010_film)

^looks interesting.
    Btw what was the name of a short Brit Z series that happened in a tv studio. Quite funny from memory...

I'm having trouble finding this. Can't seem to find a reference online, but maybe need a director's name or something.

Maybe it's this, and from 2010?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dead_(2010_film)
    That's it. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386925/

My own preference is for ZomRomComs like Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland.

That said: Slow zombies. There's something about their mindless lurching inevitabiltiy that produces horror while fast zombies produce mere terror. (Both tend to provide a little bit too much in the form of grossout for my taste.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

or then there is:
    Fido

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457572/

and

Shaun of the Dead

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Hah! Got beat to the SotD.