Thread: Tech question on video recording

Tech question on video recording

Situation ,thus.
    I have a stand alone DVD recorder that takes realtime TV signal and burns directly to a dvd. Its a Go Video . In the past I have used it to record old movies on TCM that aren't available other than the TCM broadcasts. Back ayear or so I had a cable box with RCA outputs. And non HD signal , this being ideal for the Go Video unit. I now have an HD box with only 1 HDMI output. What Im hoping to do is record a desired movie using their dvr service , and playback to the Go Video. Assuming I can change the HD signal to something the GV can use though the box menu , and maybe split the HDMI cable and adapt to an RCA plug ...
    Does this sound doable, will it work? Any other easier way ? Perhaps running it into a laptop and burning from there?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You're biggest stumbling block is HDMI is encrypted with HDCP, used specifically to prevent copying and/or recording. In the past, there were HDMI splitters made by ViewHD which could get around HDCP encryption, but their devices have since been updated to remove this feature.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    You're biggest stumbling block is HDMI is encrypted with HDCP, used specifically to prevent copying and/or recording. In the past, there were HDMI splitters made by ViewHD which could get around HDCP encryption, but their devices have since been updated to remove this feature.
    Good point.

To the OP, it may not be the answer you are looking for, but DVD is going the way of the dodo. Even buying a new recorder will be increasingly difficult. These days, everything is going thenstreaming route. Lots of these old movies can now be streamed from YouTube. Most smart TVs (or devices like Roku) can play YouTube videos right to your tv. In any event, maybe time to upgrade.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    To the OP, it may not be the answer you are looking for, but DVD is going the way of the dodo. Even buying a new recorder will be increasingly difficult. These days, everything is going thenstreaming route. Lots of these old movies can now be streamed from YouTube. Most smart TVs (or devices like Roku) can play YouTube videos right to your tv. In any event, maybe time to upgrade.
    Indeed. I can't remember the last time I've burned anything with the CD/DVD burner(s) in my computer(s). All my download purchases, as well as my vinyl collection recorded in Hi-Res are played directly from my NAS. My video purchases and rentals from iTunes and Amazon Video are played through my Apple TV and Roku respectively.

Thanks for the advice. DVD may disappear eventually , for that matter so will I , but I have a use for it and will enjoy it in the meantime. I catch up on unwatched movies while in my camper and in monthlong stays in a small place in the Florida Keys. Streaming doesn't work at either site. Plus I have a psycological appreciation for actual physical media, official or not.

This won't work?
    https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-Cabl...ds=hdmi+to+rca

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    On your X-Box, yes it will work. On an HDCP encrypted device like an HD Box or Blu-ray Player....most definitely **NOT**.

Success!!
    To recap, I was trying to use my cable provider's DVR to record movies off TCM and then burn them onto a DVD using a stand alone DVD recorder. The issue was to get the output of the cable box , which is HDMI , converted to RCA plugs which are on the DVD recorder. The issue of copygaurd encryption was brought up in preceding comments. I took a chance on a 12 dollar converter on Amazon , and it works!. Weirdly I had to switch to PAL , I think the switch is reversed. As A test I was able to burn The Spy In Black with Conrad Veidt to disc from the DVR . The quality is good . The disc plays on a normal player.
    This is the box.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1