Thread: Santana - Swing of Delight

Santana - Swing of Delight

I've always enjoyed the album. Almost all instrumentals with a lot of jazz talent on it including Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams. This was one of the first all digital recordings I remember buying. To get the full range it was released on 2 LPs. If you're a fan of his fusion style work of the 70's you may enjoy this. Probably the last Santana album I really enjoyed all the way through.

Agreed. It's a great album. Santana didn't have the harmonic chops to truly hang with the jazz guys, but he found a way to make it work. I think they liked his more straightforward melodic sensibility and use of space.

^^^^^ Yes, I agree.

Great solo album from Carlos (his last great one, IMHO) filled with jazz demons

But that's not like it was the first time either

A few of his solo albums featured Alice Coltrane, John McL, but oplenty of jazz greats as well

I tend to have a tad more affinity with his previous solo album, Oneness, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Great solo album from Carlos (his last great one, IMHO) filled with jazz demons

But that's not like it was the first time either

A few of his solo albums featured Alice Coltrane, John McL, but oplenty of jazz greats as well

I tend to have a tad more affinity with his previous solo album, Oneness, though.
    Oneness is also a great album. I love it in a different way because it takes a different direction.

Fine album. I played Gardenia in a band in the 90s.