Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Double Fantasy

  1. #1
    Member Mythos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wolf City
    Posts
    335

    Double Fantasy

    Double Fantasy was sort of a new age type band, but they came up with one song that featured wicked synthesizer beat, with a lonely edge that crossed over into the electronic/progressive realm.

    I don't recall seeing it mentioned here, so I thought I'd throw it here and see what people had to say about it...

    Anyone else have it or like it?


  2. #2
    Member helicase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    116
    Good album, though I prefer some of Robert Schroeder's solo stuff.

  3. #3
    Jeez, I thought this was a new John Lennon thread.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Parlin, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Jeez, I thought this was a new John Lennon thread.
    yeah i was hoping for some anti Yoko rants.....

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    yeah i was hoping for some anti Yoko rants.....
    Lovely
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  6. #6
    I really should try out some Robert Schröder some time, since Berlin School aficionados are always recommending him. The Double Fantasy albums are essentially two more RS albums, plus guitar!

    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    yeah i was hoping for some anti Yoko rants.....
    Yeah, that dead horse hasn’t been beaten enough.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post



    Yeah, that dead horse hasn’t been beaten enough.
    That's what happens to you when you make incomparably bad music! I always liked the stand up comedian who suggested that if Chapman had listened to Yoko's music instead of John's, he might have killed himself instead.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Used to own this but it was too light/new agey for my tastes and did not kept it. Strange, but there is some later Klaus Schulze stuff, that reminds this style (f.e. Virtual Outback CD from Contemporary Works II).
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Used to own this but it was too light/new agey for my tastes and did not kept it. Strange, but there is some later Klaus Schulze stuff, that reminds this style (f.e. Virtual Outback CD from Contemporary Works II).
    Not so strange when you consider it was released on Schulze’s label.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Not so strange when you consider it was released on Schulze’s label.
    I know but we were not used to Schulze delving at such sounds...
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  12. #12
    Member helicase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I really should try out some Robert Schröder some time, since Berlin School aficionados are always recommending him.

  13. #13
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Double Fantasy was sort of a new age type band, but they came up with one song that featured wicked synthesizer beat, with a lonely edge that crossed over into the electronic/progressive realm.

    I don't recall seeing it mentioned here, so I thought I'd throw it here and see what people had to say about it...

    Anyone else have it or like it?
    I love the whole album. I first had it on cassette circa '87-88! There's a CD reissue with (inferior) digital cover art that adds one more track, too.

    Btw, IC (this was post-Schulze, as Klaus had already sold the label) turned DF into a gimmick: the Dancing Fantasy duo has no connection to Double Fantasy, i.e. neither Robert Schröder (aka "Dreamstar") nor "Charly McLion" (not sure if that's his real name) was involved. Universal Ave was a hit for the label, so they manufactured a musically inferior knockoff. It was out of Schröder's hands.

  14. #14
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I really should try out some Robert Schröder some time, since Berlin School aficionados are always recommending him. The Double Fantasy albums are essentially two more RS albums, plus guitar!
    There's only the one Double Fantasy album, Universal Ave. When Robert returned to that format, i.e. working with a guitarist, he used the name Food For Fantasy. Dancing Fantasy is two other guys altogether, hired by the label to capitalize on the success of UA.

  15. #15
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I know but we were not used to Schulze delving at such sounds...
    Heard some of Klaus' '80s albums like Dreams and En=Trance?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NE Pa
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Jeez, I thought this was a new John Lennon thread.
    Yeah, maybe it should read Double Fantasy the band

  17. #17
    Member Mythos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wolf City
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by doneg View Post
    Yeah, maybe it should read Double Fantasy the band

    Maybe they should change the Forum name to "Progressiveears & John Lennon"...

  18. #18
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,322

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Maybe they should change the Forum name to "Progressiveears & John Lennon"...
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Heard some of Klaus' '80s albums like Dreams and En=Trance?
    Not consistently; I exited on "Dig It", though from what came after I've kept "Audentity", "Babel" and from the most recents "Kontinuum".
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  21. #21
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I really should try out some Robert Schröder some time, since Berlin School aficionados are always recommending him.
    His album "Harmonic Ascendant" is great. Every time I've listened to it it surprises me by how it unfolds and the instrumentation changes.


  22. #22
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Not consistently; I exited on "Dig It", though from what came after I've kept "Audentity", "Babel" and from the most recents "Kontinuum".
    Ah, Babel. That was a widely-circulated one back in the late '80s, when outfits like Wherehouse had stopped stocking Klaus' catalogue.

    Check out another recent KS album, Shadowlands. It surprised me.

  23. #23
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    His album "Harmonic Ascendant" is great. Every time I've listened to it it surprises me by how it unfolds and the instrumentation changes.
    I really like his mid-80s albums Computer Voice, Brain Voyager, TimeWaves, and Driftin.'



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •