Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Saga

I haven't heard much by Saga, I had just one album in the late 80s on CD and it definitely didn't sound like prog rock or neo to me. But metal, goth, synth, EBM are my main areas, so what do I know, just an impartial listener hearing something that wasn't as interesting as Toto, Foreigner, Genesis or Simple Minds.

^ I would never have guessed that you are into Goth music with a username like that.

It's my real name

I've been a Saga fan since the late 70's, started collecting their albums in vinyl like: Saga, Images at twilight, In Transit, Detours Live, Behavior, Wildest Dreams...and kept following them through the 80's and 90's including lesser memorable releases like A Beginners Guide to throwing shapes, The Security of Illusion, Generation 13, Steel Umbrellas.

But the two albums that REALLY stood out for me were Worlds Apart and Heads or Tails that cemented Saga as a great Live band. Lucky for me I saw the Head or tails Tour in Montreal (February 1984) when it was broadcast and taped for Much Music TV and what a show that was! It's the one with the lighting white squares grid backdrop, great sound and set list.

I did continue following them in the 2000's with House of cards, Full Circle, Marathon, 20/20, Trust, 10000 Days and was very pleased that finally the Chapters came together in the Chapters Live. Human Condition was a huge miss, I passed on it.

Now after so many years, I got the chance to finally meet Michael Sadler at Progstock 2018 in Rahway, NJ. Such a nice guy and very delightful family man; my favorite at that show was "Pitchman" performed brilliantly by Michael and featuring Doug Ott, Ed Platt, Jimmy Keagan and Bill Jenkins all fantastic.
    Last edited by Rajaz; 01-10-2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling error
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Human Condition was a huge miss, I passed on it.
    I'd put the song "Avalon" on that record in their top five in the past 20 years. Human Condition showed me Sadler wasn't critical in the later years. A much better album than 20/20 or Sagacity.

Human Condition was a huge miss, I passed on it.
    If you passed on it, how do you know it was a huge miss?

I loved Human Condition myself, and thought it had some really great tunes on it. It's also one of their most "muscular" sounding records, in terms of the music at least.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I'd put the song "Avalon" on that record in their top five in the past 20 years. Human Condition showed me Sadler wasn't critical in the later years. A much better album than 20/20 or Sagacity.
    Totally disagree, well that is a damn good song, but as much as I think Rob Moratti is a great singer, his presence gave Saga a different sound, more pop I guess.
    I do agree about 20/20 and Sagacity, although we listened to Sagacity on vinyl not long ago, and it's the best I've heard it sound, very good mix and production.
    There is a lot on Trust and 10,000 Days I like, but after Michael Sadler left I don't think they ever recaptured the Saga magic on record they once had. But as far as a live band they continue to kick arse and I think still one of the better touring bands along with Marillion who give everything they've got when playing live.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    If you passed on it, how do you know it was a huge miss?

I loved Human Condition myself, and thought it had some really great tunes on it. It's also one of their most "muscular" sounding records, in terms of the music at least.
    Because I heard it from a friend who I borrowed it from, maybe you did like it but it's not my cup of tea.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I never made it through that much of The Human Condition, but I just listened to Avalon on YT. Some of it is ok, but to me it seems like if Nik Kershaw took over vocals from Geddy Lee for one of their 80s albums, and maybe keyboards as well. Just not right. But I don't fault the band for carrying on while Sadler was trying his solo thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I never made it through that much of The Human Condition, but I just listened to Avalon on YT. Some of it is ok, but to me it seems like if Nik Kershaw took over vocals from Geddy Lee for one of their 80s albums, and maybe keyboards as well. Just not right. But I don't fault the band for carrying on while Sadler was trying his solo thing.
    It's a different sound but the songs rock. 20/20 and Sagecity are mostly bland, although a couple of good tracks on the latter. I thought Sadler left for family issues not because he wanted a solo album. I wonder why someone wants to solo that late in a career, although maybe for the simple reason that they always wanted to do one.

Because I heard it from a friend who I borrowed it from, maybe you did like it but it's not my cup of tea.
    Oh, I just didn't understand what you meant before. No biggie.

Sagacity definitely is not "bland."

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Sagacity definitely is not "bland."
    I agree. The sonics might not be great on the CD, but it has some pretty darn interesting songs on it IMO.

Let It Slide, and Don't Forget To Breathe are pretty great.

Got my concert and Meet & Greet VIP tickets ready for next week April 13th in Quebec City, was disappointed by recent Arena cancellation but am a lot more hyped about this one, YEAH!
    Montreal is one day before Quebec City.

I'm sure Saga will play the classics but I would love to hear something from Sagacity, 20/20 and 10,000 Days that are rarely played live. More in a couple of weeks!

Got my concert and Meet & Greet VIP tickets ready for next week April 13th in Quebec City, was disappointed by recent Arena cancellation but am a lot more hyped about this one, YEAH!
    Montreal is one day before Quebec City.

I'm sure Saga will play the classics but I would love to hear something from Sagacity, 20/20 and 10,000 Days that are rarely played live. More in a couple of weeks!
    You probably already know this, but Jim Crichton isn't touring with them again, but hopefully at some point in the future. Think he just got burned out.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

"Saga have been awarded gold and platinum albums worldwide and have sold more than 8 million albums."

Wow. Saga is 3/4 as proggy as Yes and Asia.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "Saga have been awarded gold and platinum albums worldwide and have sold more than 8 million albums."

Wow. Saga is 3/4 as proggy as Yes and Asia.
    Not sure I'd say that about every Saga song vs every Yes and Asia song. Maybe that's not what you mean. Or maybe it is.

A few days ago, I picked up Worlds Apart on vinyl, in the $1 discount bin at a local used record store.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Not sure I'd say that about every Saga song vs every Yes and Asia song. Maybe that's not what you mean. Or maybe it is.
    I was joking about sales being 3/4 and... oh, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A few days ago, I picked up Worlds Apart on vinyl, in the $1 discount bin at a local used record store.
    New??? Wow! I think World's Apart was Saga at their peak, hitting on all cylinders musically, lyrically and vocally. So many great songs on it.
    Of course I love all their albums from the beginning to present.

If you ever get a chance to pick up Generation 13 I'd say go for it. Saga's conceptual double album based on a book and they stray a bit from the traditional Saga sound in my opinion, but it sounds great!!

wow! thanks to this thread being refreshed I have discovered that :

And now, it has been officially announced that Saga will join ProgStock 2019 as our Sunday night headliner on Sunday, October 13, 2019!

Band Lineup
    Michael Sadler – vocals
    Ian Crichton – lead guitar
    James Gilmour – keyboards, clarinet, vocals
    Michael Thorne – drums, vocals
    Dusty Chesterfield – bass, keyboards

http://www.progstock.com/2019/artist.../2019-artists/
    2trevorsforlife

I guess I missed this announcement. Is this a one-off or have they officially re-formed?

Saga are back. 7 Canadian gigs on the calendar including the big Roxodus Festival on July 11th. And 5 German dates. I believe they are hoping to do more US East Coast and Midwest dates around Progstock but nothing finalized.

B40ADEF6-9392-4E9A-B93D-EDC3010CBDD7.jpg

https://roxodus.com/line-up/

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I guess I missed this announcement. Is this a one-off or have they officially re-formed?
    They never broke up.