Thread: David Sylvian Voice Matured with age.

David Sylvian Voice Matured with age.

I could not stand him in Japan ,But I loved Japan just for Mick Karn that was it.
    As he went solo ,His voice did 180 .I mean it got better super better also.
    Dead Bees on Cake ,One my all time fave by him.
    To me ,He is better more Sophisicated David Bowie.

Both legends ,With similar styles ,experimentation.
    When you listen to Sylvian ,In my eyes .
    I picture more mature side of Bowie
    Bowie when he hit 90s ,his voice got better to me also.

Yes I just compared David Sylvian ,To David Bowie
    We have 900 peter gabriel clones ,Why not Bowie lol!

Before I forget ,There’s a light that enters houses with no other house in sight.
    This is cd with narration by ,Franz Wright famous writer .
    His father was author also,This album with headphones on ,In complete darkness .
    Not ounce light in room ,Is most spook fest you can ever give your ears ,In an amazing way!

Unique progression in his approach to composing music. I mean, Blemish! True art. The title track of Manafon - the same. Atonal backgrounds but the most beautiful vocal melodies.

Just an incredible voice that always gets right inside me and pulls every emotional string. Aside from the Bill Evans Trio, my go-to music from when I'm wading through my depression. I cherish The First Day and loved seeing the Sylvian/Fripp group in concert. It's a shame that it didn't become the 90s King Crimson - lost opportunity.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    His kid brother Steve Jansen's latest project should appeal to any fan of Sylvian's:
    https://www.exitnorthmusic.com/

Impossible to argue, just one of my all time favourite artists in whatever guise

I was unaware of Exit North until a friend recommended it a few weeks ago, and it’s very worth seeking out on Bandcamp.

I'm a Sylvian devotee and I'll buy anything with him on it. I love his voice in any era, any context. I know his recent noise/experimental work rubs a lot of people the wrong way especially given his art rock past but I love that side of him too. Sylvian is genius. Now as a businessman, I dunno. His recent Pledge Music vinyl campaign just canceled my order due to no stock. If I find out the Dead Bees On A Cake vinyl shipped from other outlets such as Burning Shed, Amazon, etc. I'm gonna be pissed.

I missed that record store day vinyl release and was rather miffed. Why did they cancel the pledge, did it not receive enough support, I would be surprised as he seems to have a very loyal supporter base? I imagine it will see a Burning Shed release at some point in time.

It is out, i have it but not sure from where, ebay I think, have not opened it up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    I missed that record store day vinyl release and was rather miffed. Why did they cancel the pledge, did it not receive enough support, I would be surprised as he seems to have a very loyal supporter base? I imagine it will see a Burning Shed release at some point in time.
    It seems my Pledge was canceled due to "stock/inventory issues". I'll have to track down a copy elsewhere because it appears as though copies are out there.

The trilogy of "Brilliant Trees", "Gone To Earth", and "Secrets of the Beehive" are amazing and groundbreaking works.
    I agree that his voice vastly improved when he went solo. Most of the Japan tracks are a bit too mannered for my taste.
    According to a book I read about him, he was very cold and distant as a person during his Japan years. He seems to have had some sort of personal/spiritual awakening after leaving Japan. The Japan song "Ghosts" seems to be a transitional piece between his Japan and solo world views.