Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Female musicians ?

Joni Mitchell
    Ruth Underwood
    Alison Krauss
    Anoushka Shankar
    Hilary Hahn, Anne Sophie Mutter, and hundreds of other classical musicians.

Lori S. guitarist/singer of Acid King

Dorothea Raukes - Keyboards with Streetmark
    Minne Graw - Keyboards and vocals with Ougenweide
    Dorle Ferber - Violin and flute in Zyma, violin and keyboards in Cochise, several instruments in Elster Silberflug
    Klara Brandi - Bass, flute and sax in Cochise
    Ines Fuchs - Keyboards and accordeon in Ines
    Wendy Carlos

Lino
    Satoko Fujii - brilliant free jazz pianist.

Got to see Anoushka Shankar a few years back and she's as talented as she is gorgeous.

Patricia Dallio ...played with Art Zoyd and released several recordings of her own. Her writing is complex yet atmospheric.

April Lawton....lead guitar for Ramtam. I could never confirm her death. Many people compared her playing to Ritchie Blackmore/Alan Holdsworth , but I found here right hand alternate picking technique to be more in the vain of John McLaughlin. She also played acoustic and sounded classically trained. I wasn't fond of Ramatam's music and enjoyed her guitar playing only. She was a ball of energy and she practiced to perfection mastering gymnastics. As she aged ..she blossomed into a diverse/universal type guitarist. She disappeared for years probably nursing wounded birds in Canada.

Ruth Underwood.....She is so amazingly colorful and brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post

April Lawton....lead guitar for Ramtam. I could never confirm her death. Many people compared her playing to Ritchie Blackmore/Alan Holdsworth , but I found here right hand alternate picking technique to be more in the vain of John McLaughlin. She also played acoustic and sounded classically trained. I wasn't fond of Ramatam's music and enjoyed her guitar playing only. She was a ball of energy and she practiced to perfection mastering gymnastics. As she aged ..she blossomed into a diverse/universal type guitarist. She disappeared for years probably nursing wounded birds in Canada.
    Reputedly, there were people who refused to believe she was a woman. They were convinced that no girl could play that good, or whatever. Similarly, I always liked Lemmy's comment about Kelly Johnson of Girlschool. Guys would say "Oh she plays good...for a girl", and Lemmy would say "She plays better than you, mate!".

I also remember seeing Vixen on Bands Reunited, and they claimed they had people who were convinced that when they played live, they actually had guys hiding behind the curtain, who were playing what the audience was actually hearing. What the frell? Like it's that hard to envision a woman playing guitar like Jeff Beck or Dr. Brian May, or playing drums like Bonzo or Alex Van Halen?! Or were the guys just worried that if there was a bunch of hot chicks who could play better than they could, they'd be rendered obsolete?!

Oh, and while her own material tends to be a bit on the smooooooooth jazz side, the first time I remember hearing Candy Dulfer was when she played with Pink Floyd at the 91 Knebworth festival. I thought she did a pretty good job deputizing for Dick Parry.

And since I've brought up a saxophonist, I better mention Scheila Gonzalez, who does a fine job recreating the sax parts with Zappa Plays Zappa. Last time I saw them, she swapped around between soprano, alto, and tenor instruments, too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Wendy Carlos
    Dave Palmer
    Ian Maidman

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I better mention Scheila Gonzalez, who does a fine job recreating the sax parts with Zappa Plays Zappa. Last time I saw them, she swapped around between soprano, alto, and tenor instruments, too.
    Holy cats, she smoked. Outside of Dweez and the other FZ superstars Brock and Bozzio, she was the single most memorable part of the concert I saw.

HOLY CRAP! I forgot about Janice Marie Johnson of A Taste Of Honey. Yeah, laugh if you want, but listen to that bass line on Boogie Oogie Oogie, and then tell me it ain't funkalicious!

Lucie Rejchrtova (Crazy World of Arthur Brown) - Best Keyboard Performer since Keith Emerson

Check out recent videos on Youtube....... (one of these days I'll learn how to post links!)

Lori Linstruth -former lead guitarist for Stream Of Passion (w/Arjen L. & Marcella Bovio)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Nancy Wilson of Heart
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Nancy Wilson of Heart
    Well you see, I thought this was supposed to be about lady instrumentalists who didn't sing. Nancy, Joni Mitchell, etc. don't exactly fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Well you see, I thought this was supposed to be about lady instrumentalists who didn't sing. Nancy, Joni Mitchell, etc. don't exactly fit that bill.
    Well, the OP did say just "Not talking about vocalist, those that impress as an instrumentalist !" In other words, they can sing, but it's not required; they also have to be really good as an instrumentalist. And the OP used Christine McVie and Sheila E -- both singers with hit singles in which they sang -- as examples.

Fair 'nuff.

Honey Lantree

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Reputedly, there were people who refused to believe [April Lawton] was a woman.
    I stood two feet from her at a Ramatam gig; I'm pretty sure she was a woman.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes