Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Roxy Music- Are they truly worthy of being a Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame nominee?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-class-767917/

Still unconvinced by Stevie Nicks but I'm glad Roxy Music, The Zombies and Radiohead are in.

John Wetton was never on a studio album.

I doubt Eddie would show up for the induction, but it would be interesting if he did. Anyone think Roxy will play live at the induction?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I doubt Eddie would show up for the induction, but it would be interesting if he did. Anyone think Roxy will play live at the induction?
    If Eno played with them that would be even bigger news...it would be the first time in 40 odd years, I think. But a big if!

Looking at a lots of the artists already in, doesn't it show that anyone qualifies?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    John Wetton was never on a studio album.
    However he's on all but two tracks on Viva!., one of the greatest live albums on the 70s.

The full Newcastle show is 'out there'. Always felt Viva! was great but too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Woot! Congrats. I think I'm happiest for Phil Manzanera and Eno. It's probably the closest Eddie Jobson and the late John Wetton will ever get!
    Eddie Jobson should and deserves to be inducted, he is a true pioneer (one of the first to play violin fusing prog, pop and techno) and a virtuoso. I'm glad he is in because his chances with UK are second to none. And the great Phil Manzanera, one of the most underrated guitarists ever, both were close partners with John Wetton who can likely make it with Asia (he did not play on any Roxy Music album).

I would think Wetton would make it with Crimson, but of course that would require Wenner pulling his head out of his arse.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Given what passes for Rock-N-Roll in there now it's kinduva waste of time to bemoan the inclusion of anyone. Hell, may as well induct Kenny Rogers or Dolly Parton at this point.

I would think Wetton would make it with Crimson, but of course that would require Wenner pulling his head out of his arse.
    Wenner hasn't had anything to do with this kind of decision for at least 10 years.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The full Newcastle show is 'out there'. Always felt Viva! was great but too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    And the great Phil Manzanera, one of the most underrated guitarists ever
    Yes indeed

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Wenner hasn't had anything to do with this kind of decision for at least 10 years.

Are you sure about that? Is he no longer an active member of a Hall he basically created? I find it hard to believe he has NO influence at all on who gets in.

they were obviously influential and really belong in the hall regardless of the fact that my personal opinion of their 'thing' is not enthusiastic simply because I tend to not like many bands with a "frontman" who sings over most of the music... overly lyric heavy bands. There are few exceptions, but those are ones where the lyric content touches on subjects I have strong feelings about. Bryan Ferry does not.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Any hall of fame for something as subjective as art is stupid.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Manzanera (& Quiet Sun + John Wetton)

I doubt Eddie would show up for the induction,
    I don't.

but it would be interesting if he did. Anyone think Roxy will play live at the induction?
    I do.

Are you sure about that? Is he no longer an active member of a Hall he basically created? I find it hard to believe he has NO influence at all on who gets in.
    Wenner seems to be more of a fiigurehead at this point. The head of the nominating committee, and probably the one who makes the big decisions, is Jon Landau.

If Eno played with them that would be even bigger news...it would be the first time in 40 odd years, I think. But a big if!
    I think the odds of Eno's participation are pretty much nil, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Certainly Ferry, Manzanera, and Mackay would participate; Paul Thompson is a possibility, Jobson I'm inclined to doubt, and the other two inducted members are deceased.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Occasionally people connected to the RRHOF have strained and farted out sounds to feebly suggest that being influential counts for something. While squeezing out these gassers, they induct Madonna, The Eagles, Donna Summers, Joan Jett, Bob Seger etc. and exclude Can, King Crimson, B.O.C. Captain Beefheart, XTC, The Move, Soft Machine... inducting Roxy Music is far from being their worst move.
    Last edited by Bake 1; 12-14-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Sure, why not. But King Crimson should have been in well before them .

Roxy had a lot less lousy songs than most everyone else already in there, so yeah, put them in...

Phil Manzanera's statement:
    Christmas has come early for the band , with the decision to induct Roxy Music into the 2019 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in America . Cheers for that!

Bryan Ferry's:
    "We are delighted to accept this prestigious award on behalf of everyone who has been involved in the world of Roxy Music - musicians, engineers, producers, designers and numerous people behind the scenes… and of course our loyal fans."

Good for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Roxy had a lot less lousy songs than most everyone else already in there, so yeah, put them in...
    LOLIMG_1368.JPG
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa