Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Most Offensively Stupid Prog Rock Title Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But that's the most important one of those three. I only understood Trout Mask Replica after my fifth drunken stairfall.

Isn't there a spectral-cosmolunatic sympho-lympho band by the name of Stairfall already?

I couldn't agree about "Several Species" being anything near a 'throwaway' track, though. It serves a purpose and function on the album to a far greater extent than Mason's contribution, as I hear it. I mean, these kinds of ideas made for the very essence of a musical language they were attempting to formulate at the time, and the concept of 'sound collage' back then was a rather fresh vision in rock music to begin with - as were free improvisation, found sounds, sonic effects and the lot. All the goods which sympholx nowadays seem to think would desecrate the sacred dimension of alleged 'complexity' in their beloved music, although that term most often remains as deluded as the one on 'prog' itself.
    Or alternatively, Several Species, is just Waters and Co playing around with nobs and tapes while smoking some weed, having some giggles.

Your incessant vitriolic diatribes against "limp symphonic prog" are quite amusing though, if not insufferably repetitious, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    "basic foundational fact and knowledge"
    you spelled myth and ruse wrong
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Or alternatively, Several Species, is just Waters and Co playing around with nobs and tapes while smoking some weed, having some giggles.

Your incessant vitriolic diatribes against "limp symphonic prog" are quite amusing though, if not insufferably repetitious, lol.
    First, I never ever in my whole fucking life used the term "limp symphonic prog" - or perhaps you could please point to a single fucking place where this occurs? 'Cause you see, it can't somehow be "insufferably repetitious" if it was never uttered.

Second; would "Several Species" be less 'worthy' once it turned out that it perhaps was little more than Waters and Co playing around with nobs and tapes while smoking some weed, having some wiggles? I suppose that if this was not the case, then it would be more 'worthy'? Would it make a difference as to what emanated from the loudspeaker? And is Wright's "Sysyphus" a grand piece of composition - and logically not some rubbish he assembled while eating a carrot and pooping in the loo one afternoon? Please explain why "Several Species" is instantly throwaway, whereas "Sysyphus" is 'worthy'.

Uhm, lol.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    you spelled myth and ruse wrong
    I’d love to see evidence of this. I am open to changing my mind in the light of new information. The world scientific community and Nobel Prize Committee would be even more interested. But alas, you haven’t a shred.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    First, I never ever in my whole fucking life used the term "limp symphonic prog" - or perhaps you could please point to a single fucking place where this occurs? 'Cause you see, it can't somehow be "insufferably repetitious" if it was never uttered.

Second; would "Several Species" be less 'worthy' once it turned out that it perhaps was little more than Waters and Co playing around with nobs and tapes while smoking some weed, having some wiggles? I suppose that if this was not the case, then it would be more 'worthy'? Would it make a difference as to what emanated from the loudspeaker? And is Wright's "Sysyphus" a grand piece of composition - and logically not some rubbish he assembled while eating a carrot and pooping in the loo one afternoon? Please explain why "Several Species" is instantly throwaway, whereas "Sysyphus" is 'worthy'.

Uhm, lol.
    So your constant use of the term "sympho-lympho", your obvious disdain for the genre of symphonic progressive rock and any people who enjoy that type of music is a complete misinterpretation on my part?

Also, no where did I say the Floyd Species track is not "worthy". I just nominated the title in the spirit of this silly pretentious thread, and said it was basically a bit of a throwaway track. It would be pretentiously silly to think the Floyd were making some kind of grand sophisticated artistic statement with that particular track. Or to put it another way--thats not the track I immediately play when listening to the album. ymmv

So your constant use of the term "sympho-lympho", your obvious disdain for the genre of symphonic progressive rock and any people who enjoy that type of music is a complete misinterpretation on my part?
    Oh, my "obvious disdain", is it? How "obvious" is it, do you think, in for instance this thread from 2014: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ighlight=Spain

Or how about similar threads on progressive rock (which is the overall genre) from Argentina, Brazil or Chile? Or from Québec? Or Poland, Hungary, the GDR, Czechoslowakia? Perhaps from Portugal or Scandinavia? Australia and New Zealand, maybe? France, Switzerland or the Benelux? No? They are to be had, you see, all of them. Although the "symphonic" branch of progressive rock music made for, say, mere a fifth of its total.

Or threads on the so-called "revival" of the 90s - in which I was a player - have you read those or at least made a try? Or it is all about the opposite - i.e. how someone would condone alien, strange, contrarian, jarringly different artists who'd never reason up to your personal preference and standards of (assumed) quality? Simply a question, that. Nothing else.

Or perhaps you don't know enough about any of those names or nations or stylistic traditions to be a "player" yourself? Well, then please don't make hasty judgements as to how things according to your own logic "must" be connected for the dots to fit an understandable narrative. Because you're wrong. You see, it's not as if apparency tends to suffice when you're charging for attack - you need to actually know. So spare the rollin' eyes and that wildly imaginative stab at deductive inference for someone else.

And it's about as "pretentiously silly to think the Floyd were makin some kind of grand sophisticated artistic statement with that particular track ("Several Species")" as it is to know how The Beatles were in fact doing exactly that with "Revolution 9".
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It's really simple man--tell me what you mean by your oft repeated phrase "sympho-lympho". If it is not in any way a negative characterization of the genre of symphonic progressive rock, I will humbly apologize for my grevious misunderstanding and bow to your superior avant music intellectualism. And no, I'm not going to go back and read 5 year old threads. Have a brewski and calm down, your vitriol is not conducive for good health.

Oh, and then there's this little tidbit:

Waters re the Several Species.... track:

C: In the Ummagumma cut: "Several species of small furry animals gather together in a cave and grooving with a pict"- what is the voice thing, and just what exactly was the point of the whole thing?

Roger: It's not actually anything,. it's a bit of concrete poetry. Those were sounds that I made, the voice and the hand slapping were all human generated - no musical instruments.

— Roger Waters, University of Regina Carillon Interview, October 1970
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-15-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Discussing why bands of any genre name their songs what they do is as absurd as discussing why this forum is named "progressiveears"

Well at least not everyone was offended by what I considered offensive, so thanks JJ88. People do get angry when they cannot intellectually or factually defend their beliefs, and they take great offense indeed at the absolute impertinence of merely challenging those beliefs. The more irrational and intellectually childish those beliefs are, the greater is the outrage, as you may have seen before this thread was judiciously edited by the moderators: the proof was the proud denial of basic foundational fact and knowledge that informs of our very being (Evolution). A bit shocking here in the 21st century.

You just can't help yourself can you?

he absolutely needs to be his own god and if someone does not recognize his self-appointed godship, they will reap his incessant vitriol
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Oh, and then there's this little tidbit:

Waters re the Several Species.... track:

C: In the Ummagumma cut: "Several species of small furry animals gather together in a cave and grooving with a pict"- what is the voice thing, and just what exactly was the point of the whole thing?

Roger: It's not actually anything,. it's a bit of concrete poetry. Those were sounds that I made, the voice and the hand slapping were all human generated - no musical instruments.

— Roger Waters, University of Regina Carillon Interview, October 1970
    You've got me completely outmanouvred, 'Progger', except for the fact that you still don't seem to quite comprehend what I'm at - so here it goes again: is "[…] a bit of concrete poetry" somehow by its very nature any less worth and consequently "throwaway"? And if that's so, then how come? I'm eagerly anticipating your enlightened response.

It's really simple man--

1]tell me what you mean by your oft repeated phrase "sympho-lympho".
    2]If it is not in any way a negative characterization of the genre of symphonic progressive rock, I will humbly apologize for my grevious misunderstanding and bow to your superior avant music intellectualism.
    3]And no, I'm not going to go back and read 5 year old threads. Have a brewski and calm down, your vitriol is not conducive for good health.
    1] No. You'll have to figure out that incessant conundrum of intrinsic challenge yourself or simply accept sleeplessness for incalculable ages yonder. Your instinctive assumption that it should and must "mean" something in the first place implies the world is not enough.

2] People like you never apologize about dick and wouldn't know how to be humble if your ass depended on it, but that's Ok. Seriously, 'Progger', it's perfectly alright! But honey, sir - why did the (malevolently dreaded) "avant" reference turn up? Where's the "avant" here? I posted a simple sample of example that your assumptions/accusations of "disdain" is plain wrong, shlong - and that's poetry discreetely unconcrete, see? So where were you in all of those threads featuring apparent "anti-symphonic" sentiment? Nowhere to be found? Pounding your thoughts on the latest rumour of an impending Genesis or Yes reunion?

And then the tidbit which surely tips you right off your chair of "avant"-conspiratory pondering exercises:

3] You were wrong, and it's documented. Of course you wouldn't want to open that thread to see that documentation unfold in real time. But it's not good to be seated too long, because the vitriol generates hemorrhoids. But hey, you're still the 'Progger' man! Who doesn't need to know! And without folks like yourself, the whole enterprise of 'Prog' and discussion foras dedicated to it would have to get enemies!

I’d love to see evidence of this. I am open to changing my mind in the light of new information. The world scientific community and Nobel Prize Committee would be even more interested. But alas, you haven’t a shred.
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

You just can't help yourself can you?

Indeed. I tried to be patient with this thread and take it beyond face value, but these recent posts put the nail in the coffin.